Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 31

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #6

  1. #1

    Default VBAC / EBAC Discussion #6

    Continuing on from http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/threads/120617-VBAC-EBAC-Discussion-5/page9?p=3121763]here[/url]


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    I feel a little silly that I missed the previous two posts, that were in response to mine, sorry about that berme & Jennifer.
    I have no issues with my c-sect - I have nothing to debrief over. I chose to have a c-sect in the end following a discussion with my DH & sister and with information from the OBS & midwive. The decision was then made by me to have a c-sect. I had an excellent recovery. My issues seem to be confidence in labouring at home for as long as possible, knowing when it really is time to go to hospital and give birth - I know I can give birth, there is no reason I can't! It's all the pre-labour and labour that seems to be a block in my thinking. I have my hypnobirth CD to listen to but was waiting until about 30 weeks, when I start RLT and I'll start talking to my yoga teacher about optimal labour & birth positions.
    I did want to have a homebirth but my DH was not keen & I need him to be 100% with me, so opted to go back to the private hosptial where I had my DD. (I can't go to the local public hospital (BMI too high) and a birth centre is out due to my previous c-sect - so I have limited my options by agreeing to having a c-sect.....) I did think about a Doula but I am confident with the midwives supporting my VBAC and my OBS is pro-vaginal birth. I have no specific requests ie: avoid pain relief etc... I know not all births can go the way you plan & I have a controlling personality and don't want to contribute to any anxiety if I were to write a birth plan & it not go according to that - ITMS?

  3. #3

    Default

    RiChiChi, it sounds like you are doing all you can. I would encourage you to look into a doula as your chance of a successful VBAC in hospital is much higher with one. Have you asked about hospital policies around VBAC (monitoring, etc)? It's also worth putting together a birth plan that addresses procedures and whether or not you will agree to them, or which ones you will agree to.

    I would also ask or check the success rates of both the ob and the hospital. I was satisfied with my ob's rate, but appalled at the private hospital compared to our closest public hospital. We booked in there as a back up option.

    Good luck!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Thanks Jennifer! I'll have another think about the Doula and do some more research. I have an appt at the hospital for bf refresher course so might check then about their VBAC rates. My OBS assures me the hospital and he are on the same the page - he is very pro vaginal birth and supportive of VBAC. I asked if there were going to be issues between him & the hospital midwives with time issues on labour and them not supporting VBAC etc... and he said no, that is one of the reasons he works there....
    I didn't want to go with a birth plan due to my control & anxiety issues as I stated above. I am open to suggestions during labour, I don't want to be closed incase a decision needs to be made and I have it in my head that only XYZ can happen - ITMS?? I really need to make sure my DH & sister (support people for labour) know what I want/am comfortable with. My sister whilst emotionally involved can take herself out of the emotion and be a really good listener (me & professionals) and be able to present facts to me and help me work through a decision. She was there when I was given some choices prior to agreeing to an induction. I thought I'd heard them offer something but it wasn't the case & she pointed that out to me.

  5. #5

    Default

    Maybe instead of a birth plan, just a bullet point list of your needs and don'ts. Something simple like:

    I want:
    - a natural, drug free vaginal birth and have worked hard to prepare myself for this
    - no time limit on my labour if we are doing fine
    - a few mins alone to discuss any decision that may need to be made
    - my care providers to please remember I suffer from anxiety and xxx may trigger it
    - my husband to stay with me at all times
    - our baby to stay with me or my husband at all times

    Keep it to your most important things and don't feel the need to go into detail. Bold or change the colour of anything especially important.

    Your sister sounds like she'll be great support, but a list might help her and your husband be clearer with your care providers too. It also means they know ahead what you need from them. Make sure any potential doula is aware of your requirements too.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Thanks Jennifer!

    Funnily enough apart from the anxiety stuff, all those things happened at the hospital but I will discuss them with my OBS at my next appt. Oh, and I made it clear to my DH that he was to stay with our DD at all times, which happened. I might chat to DH about it to make sure I am not 'imagining' anything though....

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Hi Ladies! Just popping my head in to see who's going for a VBAC.

    About me: My first son was undiagnosed breech and emergency c-section. Second son was a VBAC in a public hospital delivery suite, attended by birthing centre midwives. Son number 3 is due in Oct/Nov and will hopefully be born in the birthing centre, as I am told I am now considered to be 'low risk'.

    When I was going for my VBAC attempt, the ladies in this thread provided me with amazing support, encouragement and advice. You can't be over-prepared for a VBAC, arm yourselves with knowledge.

    Best of luck with your VBACs and hope to see some of you posting in here over the coming weeks.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Hi Suzi,

    I am going for a VBAC with this pg. I had an emergency c-sect with my DD (failure to progress) about 5 years ago. I have started on RL tablets but not the tea yet and will start on EPO around 36/37 weeks.

    I also do yoga and will start my hypnobirthing CD this week

    What things did you do last time to prepare and what will you be doing this time?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Hi Rhi,

    Last time, apart from RLT and EPO, I read as many books on natural childbirth and VBACs as I could stand. I got a hypno-birthing CD (Gabrielle Targett) and did guided meditation from it everyday. The affirmations were good too, I truly believed I could birth vaginally.

    Hypnobirthing relaxation didn't work for me in labour, I needed to move with contractions. Lucky I had read JuJu Sundin and had stress balls in my labour bag. So, it's good to have a back up plan.

    DH timing my contractions really helped. They were easier to deal with when I knew they had peaked.

    My labour stalled several times (thanks to the compulsory intermittent monitoring) so this time I have Clary Sage in my labour bag.

    The other thing I would change, is I went to Hospital too early. My labour wasn't established enough. So I plan to stay home until I know I'm at the point of no return.

    Fear and confidence were big factors for me, so being prepared and having a birth plan were important to me. It meant I could focus on giving birth. I had dealt with my feelings about my c-section. I watched natural births, c-sections and VBACs on YouTube. The biggest help was the ladies in this forum saying, "your scar is strong".

    This time, I'm reading any books I didn't last time. I may hop in the bath with some Clary Sage to help me dilate during labour. I'll get walking earlier than I did last time. Most important is I have the confidence to do this again because I know I can now. I believed last time, but knowing is different.

    HTH

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Hi suz1,

    Thanks for sharing your tips from last time. I will definately take them on board and keep an open mind about perhaps needing to move around plus will look into the essential oils too. I have avoided them atm b/c there is conflicting information about using them whilst pg.

    I was the same as you, went to the hospital too soon last time. My contractions kept peetering off once I got there & I got frustrated and stayed in there & they gave me a sleeping tablet, which helped for a bit. I guess my biggest issue is the when should I go to hospital. I'd be ok if bubs was born at home or on the way but not sure how my DH would be plus I have another child to think of this time. I have been reading heaps of birth stories on BB and most people have stayed home for as long as possible, which I hope I will do to!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny Qld
    Posts
    14,683

    Default

    Hi Rhi I stayed at home a bit with DD2 but went in pretty early to the birth centre with DD3 - I think you will just *know* when its right for you to go in

    You have my full support behind you on this as well!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Nerd Burger. View Post
    Hi Rhi I stayed at home a bit with DD2 but went in pretty early to the birth centre with DD3 - I think you will just *know* when its right for you to go in

    You have my full support behind you on this as well!
    Awww, thanks so much! I really, really want to give my body the best to chance to VBAC & I know whilst I have full support of my OBS & hospital that going in too early can lead to interventions which can then in turn lead to other things (ie: c-sect). I hope I do know when to go in. I feel I trust my body alot more, particularly since being in labour before & yoga has really helped me stay calm & coupled with hypnobirthing, support from my chiropractor and other resources I feel it will be much better this time around!

  13. #13

    Default

    I had a HB but I knew when to call the m/w and it all happened pretty quickly when she arrived. I would have gone to the hospital then had I been going and by my reckoning and my m/w's estimation at least 5-6 cms. Was pushing within two hrs.

    Hope your preparation is going well!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Thanks Jennifer for letting me know your experience! I have been reading alot of birth stories and gauging what other people have done.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny Qld
    Posts
    14,683

    Default

    Just bumping this thread to see if there are any other ladies going for a vbac soon!

    Nearly halfway through my pregnancy now, and planning a homebirth. Not sure what the abbreviation would be, I've had 2 sections, 2 vba2cs and now a HB.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I am hoping to VBA2C. Our local hospital has a no VBA2+C policy, but I'm trying to argue my case. I have another appointment tomorrow afternoon with the OB from the high risk clinic to hopefully get some answers.

    Good luck with your home birth

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny Qld
    Posts
    14,683

    Default

    Ooh how exciting! I lined up my first vba2c through a private hospital with full support of an ob so its definitely possible to find support out there - there's just not many of us out there that attempt it I guess. I didn't end up getting it through her though, but only because I moved states.

    Definitely do your research and show the doubters that not only is it possible, its also safe. Risk of a uterine rupture is 0.7%, risk in a vba2c is 0.9% - so not much difference! Good luck at your appointment

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    They have admitted/agreed there isn't really any higher risk, but they are saying I'm going to fail. It's almost like they don't want to waste resources dealing me with in labour when it will only end in c-section. My previous labours were mostly spent with me laying on the bed with monitors strapped to me. I was quite ignorant really, had very little support etc. I have done so much research on positions, being active, going with what feels comfortable at the time, moving around and all that. I've hired a doula and I've joined the local midwife program (both of who are supportive of VBA2C), I just need an OB to agree so the local hospital will take me.

    My other option is to go to a larger hospital who have a pead, anesthetist, surgeons, theatre etc available 24/7, they take VBA2C Mummas, but it's around 2hrs away. My last labour I went from 1cm to 10cm in around 2hrs so I'm not keen on traveling that far while in labour. I am kind of hoping I'll just be able to go to my local hospital pushing, push the baby out and have it all over and done with before they have any say in the matter. Is that too much to ask for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •