Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VBAC - Public vs Private

Default Re: VBAC - Public vs Private

And just think - all that money you will save can buy you a nice family holiday down the track!

Glad to hear you've got some really good options either way.

Default VBAC - Public vs Private

Peekaboo - always the way! Congrats on your VBAC! We do need a doula, I hear nothing but good things. My first birth in a nut shell - PROM, long establishment to active, 12+hours active and no further dilation after the hospital interfered and scared my cervix into closing. I almost got to fully dilated. I can do it! Was your births all very different?

Thanks surprised!

I didn't have a doula, no. I took on a student midwife though and she was an amazing support for my antenatal appointments and she was there for the birth also.

Unfortunately for me, I ended up with a necessary cs for fetal distress. But I am glad about the decisions I made. I waited till labour started naturally at 42 weeks- the labour itself was awesome and I was supported and respected in my wishes. Definitely take the time to write a solid birth plan. Decide what is absolutely not negotiable (continuous monitoring, cannula on arrival etc were on my list of NOs).

I did get in the birth pool for a little while. Be prepared to remind people what your plans are. I was told 'no you can't use the bath, we don't recommend it for vbacs'. I laughed and told the mw to get the tub filling because it'll take a while. Lol. She did as I asked her. Ultimately, you are in charge.

I know you don't want to fight against policies etc but it's very important to know what you don't want to do and why. Eg- how x y or z will affect your chances of vbac. Research, know your enemy, and do everything you can to maximize your chances.

I found the most effective way to avoid arguments in labour was to keep it simple. They offered a VE. I said 'no. I like it in the bath.' They offered again. I said 'not now. I'll tell you when I'm ready. ' Be assertive NOW, before you're in labour. People are far less inclined to question you if you're pro-active about demonstrating your stance on their rules and regulations well ahead of time.

The best advice I have for you is to research evidence based care (not standard practice) make clear decisions, draw up a birth plan, assemble a (strong) support team, and leave the rest to nature. Trust in yourself, your body, and baby. Align the odds in your favour, and know that you did the best you could to achieve your vbac. And if not- you can still be proud that you advocated for yourself, and got the best possible outcome because of your determination and courage.

Xoxo

After reading the reason for your primary cs...... you can totally vbac! Perhaps add "Keep your hands and other instruments out of my vagina" to your birth plan though... hehe.

Thank you for your reply forshelby and for your confidence in me. I think I can do it also ! I'm sorry your baby went into distress but I am so happy to hear your are happy with the decisions you made. That's fantastic you had an awesome labour. How did you find the birth pool?

It's not that I don't want to fight against policies. I just don't want the tension of feeling like I am fighting while I am labour, I want to get MY plan in action before and then hopefully have someone to advocate for me if need be.

Thank you for your advice. I do appreciate everyone's input.

Oh and I will be telling them to keep their hands out this time. I had a ridiculous amount of VE's last time. The first led to PROM. I was naive, but I am wiser now!

The pool (or rather gigantic bath) was amazing. I wish I stayed in there longer.

And I know exactly what you mean. Fighting in labour is impossible.

Hi ladies. Just thought I would pop in and update the thread incase anyone else ever wants to read it on their quest for a VBAC. I had a successful VBAC with a private midwife in public hospital. Can't recommend a private midwife enough. I don't doubt that without her support and advocating for me my birth story would be different. So glad I didn't go with the private OB.

H Rosie, I'm not stalking you, this came up in my sidebar

Didn't realise you had a VBAC. Well done you!

Have you written your birth story?

Ha ha turtledove

Thank you. It was everything I'd hoped it would be. I have written a birth story though I'm unsure wether I will post it online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12