Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has had a VBAC in Goldcoast, Brisbane, Redlands, Logan (Queensland) area?

Question Who has had a VBAC in Goldcoast, Brisbane, Redlands, Logan (Queensland) area?

Hi All,

I am not pregnant but we are going to start trying in a couple of months. I will be aiming for a VBAC and feel I need to already start preparing and researching. My last birth ended in a c-section after a long posterior labour with PROM, the hospital weren't happy to let me continue labouring as I wasn't hitting their dilation milestones.

So my question is have you or anyone you know achieved a successful VBAC in the Goldcoast, Brisbane, Redlands or Logan area in Queensland? What hospital? Who was your OB? Did you go private or public? How was your experience?

I would really really appreciate any feedback or information.

Thank-you

My SIL had two successful VBAC's at North West hospital (pretty sure thats the one) and I can't remember the name of her OB, but it was something foreign LOL

Sorry, not much help am I! I've had 2 VBA2C'S but mine were down in tasmania so thats even less helpful to you.

Thank you again Arimeh. I will look into that hospital.

Just saw this post. I had a successful VBAC at 41 weeks with Dr Singh at John Flynn on the Gold Coast - 9.5 hour labour with epi, no issues, small tear . My CS with the twins due to cholestasis and both breech at 37 weeks. Please PM if you have any questions. Wishing you the best of luck what ever happens. xx

Default Who has had a VBAC in Goldcoast, Brisbane, Redlands, Logan (Queensland) area?

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Dreamtime View Post
    Just saw this post. I had a successful VBAC at 41 weeks with Dr Singh at John Flynn on the Gold Coast - 9.5 hour labour with epi, no issues, small tear . My CS with the twins due to cholestasis and both breech at 37 weeks. Please PM if you have any questions. Wishing you the best of luck what ever happens. xx
    Thank you! I have heard from one other person that there was a pro VBAC ob there. I will def PM

Default Who has had a VBAC in Goldcoast, Brisbane, Redlands, Logan (Queensland) area?

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Dreamtime View Post
    Baby Dreamtime I just read your birth story. So inspiring. I was going to pm you when I eventually became pregnant to know more but your story has covered my questions. The ob sounds very supportive!

Just thought I'd let you know that the Gold Coast Hospital are very pro VBAC these days, especially since 1 or 2 very pro VBAC consultants have come on board. They actually run a VBAC clinic at the hospital too, which is great, but like most fragmented care models you don't always get the same ob/midwife and some are better than others so that can let the level of care down a bit. I am not sure if you are aware but there are 2 Gold Coast based Private Midwifery group practices who are medicare rebatable and the midwives also have rights to practice at the Gold Coast Hospital so if I was you I would personally choose that option as I think having your own midwife would give you the best chance of achieving a vbac. I know the midwives from each practice (as a student) and they are all wonderful. Alternatively I have heard whispers that the birth centre midwives may be looking at including vbac women in the future so depending on when you fall pregnant this could be something to check out. I am not sure if you are aware of this either but the new GC University Hospital opens in September and every birth suite room has a birthing pool and they generally will let you have a waterbirth for a vbac (especially if you have your own private midwife there). I am pretty sure that they will not allow waterbirth for VBAC at John Flynn and also their VBAC rate has reduced in recent years.
    Another interesting thing is that the GCH have been working really hard to lower their CS rates and they have reduced it quite a lot. Some weeks the CS rate is only 10% and I'm pretty sure the overall average for the last 6-12 months has been around 20%. So the fact that they're working on keeping their CS rates low may also inadertently improve your VBAC chances. Best of luck with everything
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; July 6th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mamaspice~ View Post
    Just thought I'd let you know that the Gold Coast Hospital are very pro VBAC these days, especially since 1 or 2 very pro VBAC consultants have come on board. They actually run a VBAC clinic at the hospital too, which is great, but like most fragmented care models you don't always get the same ob/midwife and some are better than others so that can let the level of care down a bit. I am not sure if you are aware but there are 2 Gold Coast based Private Midwifery group practices who are medicare rebatable and the midwives also have rights to practice at the Gold Coast Hospital so if I was you I would personally choose that option as I think having your own midwife would give you the best chance of achieving a vbac. I know the midwives from each practice (as a student) and they are all wonderful. Alternatively I have heard whispers that the birth centre midwives may be looking at including vbac women in the future so depending on when you fall pregnant this could be something to check out. I am not sure if you are aware of this either but the new GC University Hospital opens in September and every birth suite room has a birthing pool and they generally will let you have a waterbirth for a vbac (especially if you have your own private midwife there). I am pretty sure that they will not allow waterbirth for VBAC at John Flynn and also their VBAC rate has reduced in recent years.
    Another interesting thing is that the GCH have been working really hard to lower their CS rates and they have reduced it quite a lot. Some weeks the CS rate is only 10% and I'm pretty sure the overall average for the last 6-12 months has been around 20%. So the fact that they're working on keeping their CS rates low may also inadertently improve your VBAC chances. Best of luck with everything
    Hi mamaspice! Wow thank you for your awesome post. You've certainly opened up my eyes to more possibilities. May I PM you to ask the pro VBAC consultants names and the midwife groups? I had no idea that the GC hospital run a VBAC clinic. I am hoping to fall pregnant towards the end of this year or early next year, I will most definitely speak with the birth centre and see where their at with VBAC's. a doula was always on the cards but a private midwife would be favorable. Thank you so much for all this info

Hi Rosey! Sure! I'll send you a PM if you like

I had a VBAC through the midwifery group practice at the mater. You need to be in the catchment to go there though.

This time I'm going with a private midwife.

Thank you mamaspice and heaven

I've been keeping an eye on those private midwife groups too Mamaspice for when the time comes! They look very promising!!!! How are you finding the study to become a midwife? I would love to become a midwife when my kids are a bit older

Quote Originally Posted by kitten80 View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on those private midwife groups too Mamaspice for when the time comes! They look very promising!!!! How are you finding the study to become a midwife? I would love to become a midwife when my kids are a bit older
    Hi Kitten, studying is crazy busy but great. The degree is very full-on, lots of clinical hours and they expect a lot from us, but it's going to make us all very competant midwives in the end so it's very worth it

if you ever want any more infor about the private group practices feel free to Pm me

Oh - only just saw this Mamaspice!!! Thanks
    I can believe it would be totally full on study! It must make a difference being so passionate about women/birth & babies though - so worth it!
    I'm going to check out the new hospital tomorrow. It looks good in the pics I have seen. I will pm you

Quote Originally Posted by kitten80 View Post
    Oh - only just saw this Mamaspice!!! Thanks
    I can believe it would be totally full on study! It must make a difference being so passionate about women/birth & babies though - so worth it!
    I'm going to check out the new hospital tomorrow. It looks good in the pics I have seen. I will pm you
    Hi kitten how was the new hospital? Would love to know what the birth suites were like etc

Hi Rosey
    The hospital was fantastic!!! Beautiful spacious rooms - they were all decked out!!! Even the rooms for staying over night looked big too (70% single rooms & the other 30% were doubles which is excellent for a public hospy).. From recollection 15 out of the 18 birthing suites have birthing tubs (which only take minutes to fill)! The only down side was I asked the question if vbac'ers could use the birthing tubs and I was answered with a no only low risk mums can use them which I was devo'd about they have hoists so don't know what the deal is there - if they need to get you out its all set up. Party poopers! Let me know if there's anything else I've missed that u wanna know...

Aww that's really disappointing to hear about the birth pools. Hopefully a private MW can hoist me into the pool anyways when the time comes (one day) . Rooms sound great otherwise.

That's what I'm hoping for too Rosey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast