Thread: Australian VBAC study published 2000

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Australian VBAC study published 2000

Just wanted to highlight some points from an Australian VBAC study

[stone et al., 2000]

Results:

1 death in the VBAC group
    1 death in the elective caesarean group

2 in 1,000 risk of uterine rupture - to put into perspective, the risks of congenital defects, SIDS, placental complications is greater than a baby dying from uterine rupture.

1: Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2000 Oct;14(4):340-8.

Vaginal births after Caesarean (VBAC): a population study.Stone C, Halliday J, Lumley J, Brennecke S.

Perinatal Data Collection Unit, Public Health and Development Division, Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia. [email protected]

This paper describes delivery outcomes for women from Victoria, Australia, who gave birth in 1995 and whose immediately previous (penultimate) delivery, within a 5-year search period, was a Caesarean section. Because of the large numbers of records involved, dedicated computer software for record linkage was used to identify the previous delivery and link it with the woman's current birth in 1995. Overall, 79% of the records from multiparous women were linked successfully. Approximately 15% were not linked because the previous birth was before the search period or was an abortion that would not have been reported to the Perinatal Data Collection Unit. Reasons for not being able to link the last 6% of the records include the previous pregnancy being overseas or interstate. Women who had a vaginal birth as the penultimate birth or a multiple birth at either event were excluded, resulting in a study population of 4663 linked records. More women (68%) had a repeat Caesarean than went into labour and, of the remaining women who laboured, 56% delivered vaginally. Overall, 18% of the women delivered vaginally. For the women who went into labour, the reported number experiencing a uterine rupture was two per 1000 births. Uterine rupture was not reported in the two-thirds who did not labour but had a repeat Caesarean. A review of the perinatal deaths identified only two deaths, one baby being born by elective Caesarean and one by a vaginal birth after a previous Caesarean (VBAC) where the choice of delivery methods may have contributed to the death. This large study is one of the few in the literature to provide population-based information on vaginal births after a previous Caesarean and related outcomes.

PMID: 11101021 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    What increases your risks:

* Induction and augmentation
    * Surgical quality and technique
    * Hospital policies e.g. ctg, cannualtion, epidural (masks pain of rupture)
    * Lack of movement, lack of privacy, poor birthing environment for undisturbed birth
    * Lack of understanding of what different women need in birth
    Last edited by BellyBelly; September 1st, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

WOOT! Cut & paste VBAC girls and put it in your birth plan!

Perfect timing Kelly. I have a client who is pushing for a VBA3C and has to see the Dr this week. The midwife was supportive and has told she needs to have an appt with the Dr this week to talk over her "mode of birth"!

Thanks Kel! Will be taking this with me to my Dr appointment on Friday!

I brought 10 pages of research papers with me!! LOL I had them in my birth plan folder along with my calm birthing notes. The midwife copied one of the research papers to put in her folder. I got it off Alan but it had very similar statistics.

Oh Christy, is there any chance you have a copy of those ?

My client needs as much literature as she can take with her. A VBA3C is going to upset his apple cart.

She has my copy of A Thinking Woman's Guide, and has copied quite a few things out of that to take along with her too.

hmmmm I may have it on our other computer, give me a few days Trish!

Thanks a heap hun. Don't go to too much trouble though