Thread: Which birth pool should I choose?

Default Which birth pool should I choose?

Hiring a birth pool through my midwife practice I have a few choices. I don't want an inflatable pool as I needed to be really grounded and hold onto solid supports last labour and I'm concerned I wont like a squishy pool and therefore miss out on a waterbirth if I use one. So I'm tossing up two wooden pools- they are also deeper than the inflatables so I'd prefer that as I liked being upright last time. So these are my choices:

Rectangle: 103cm x 150cm and 70cm deep. Also has a heater to keep the water warm.

Square: 130cm x 130cm and 65cm deep.

The rectangle pool grabbed me at first- it's deeper and then there's the bonus heater (I do like my water warm). But maybe it's too narrow?

What do you think?

how tall are you?
    its really important thant if your in the pool you can cover your belly when sitting/kneeling/on all 4s.
    i had a hard sided one which was HUGE and i had to go on tippy toes to get over the side and have my head on the edge and my feet didnt touch anythingon the other side. (but this pool was a special made one for my mw)
    for me i liked moving about in the pool so the square would be better for me.. although corners seem wrong

I'm not super tall, or short, 168cm. Kneeling, 65cm JUST reaches the top of my belly. I would LOVE a super deep pool! Custom made sounds beautiful

I get what you mean about moving. Last time I found once I was locked in a spot though I was happy there swaying for about an hour before I would want a change so maybe 103cm of swaying space is enough. Dammit, I want the square one with 70cm depth and the heater

Bump, bump!

Any more ideas? I'm so torn! I booked the rectangle and I think 103cm would be wide enough to sway in but maybe I should get the square to be sure I can move around?

Thanks so much for your input Suga. We have a "quick recovery" gas hot water heater. We've never run out of hot water with deep baths or long showers but obviously we've never tried to fill a birth pool before!

I like your point of the less water surface on top and it's nice to hear reassurance that the width would be fine. I think I'll stick with the rectangle- once it's full it will be nice not having to worry about the water going cold.