Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making the water clean for a waterbirth

Tap water, absolutely yes it should be filtered - I said as much in my previous post. But the fact still remains that you would have to continue to filter the water even once the baby is born. That's what I was pointing out.

Yeh I could

It all really depends on how much rain we get.

If we dont get much rain we pump bore water into the rain water tanks when we need too. But if we get plenty of rain the tanks are usually full of rain water.

But if I did want to, we could use the bore water tap to fill the pool.

You said a couple of times that whole thing was silly, which I took to mean you find it pointless.

Well probably not totally pointless and if it makes anyone feel more comfortable knowing they have filtered the water then it's not a big deal and it certainly wont do any harm, but yeah, I do find it silly.

I was thinking of bird poo from run off from roofs into the rainwater tank. Might be ok for big people but not too sure about newborns if they get it in their mouths *shrugs*

I wasn't going to filter my town water to fill the pool. After all I will be bathing the baby in it and it should be free from micro organisms that will make baby sick... That was my concern with the rainwater.

ETA: not that it is any of my business if anyone filters their water or not, it just seemed on topic to mention it.
    Last edited by Tanya; July 6th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

I get the idea of the hoses for sure. I wouldn't think its odd that someone else did filter the water. I don't think I'd filter the water as someone else said as soon as I or DH got in the water it wouldn't be 'clean' anymore... Interesting topic.

I find it interesting that chemicals and body fluids are considered the same so there is no point filtering the water for chemicals. It's also interesting the level of faith we have that there is nothing wrong with our water supply.

Did you know that one drinking glass of water contains as much fluoride as a pea sized piece of toothpaste? And yet we are warned to spit out the toothpaste and certainly you shouldn't be feeding it to a newborn.

Certainly it's no concern of mine if someone else chooses not to take these measures to prevent chemical exposure for their newborn baby, but I wish I had known and understood the significance when I birthed my babies so I wanted to share the knowledge. You can call me silly all you want

I think you have raised some really good points meow.
    Find grade hoses everybody agrees on.
    I know alot of people who purify all their drinking water- from city tap. And couple who went to great lengths to purify birthing water for similar reasons to what you talk about.
    Everybody has different experiences with health and for some of us everything we can do helps.
    And some people still use j&j products.
    Its all silly and all totally resonable, depending where you sit in the spectrum

Sent from my Galaxy with the barefoot princess covering me in kisses, so please forgive the mistakes

Meow. Always so clever. No now you mention it, there is no way I feel that my 'germs' are the same as chemicals. Also 'funny' to think of the money I spend to not wash my kids with chemicals and just I never think of the water....

Quote Originally Posted by Tegam View Post
    Meow. Always so clever.
    Not always! And I didn't do any of this myself

I really don't mind if anyone doesn't want to take the info on board- no skin off my nose. I'm not sure if I was in a place to be totally receptive to this info when birthing my children. I probably would have said "Oh, they'll be fine." But I'm glad the discussion is here now for anyone who wants the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12