thread: My obstetrician asked me to consider having a waterbirth...why would I want one?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Sunshine Coast

My obstetrician asked me to consider having a waterbirth...why would I want one?

Had my first ob appointment today and the hospital I am going to this time offers waterbirths. The ob wants me to research waterbirth and decide "if it's up my alley" LOL.

I birthed my DD with no pain relief and she was 4.27kgs (9lb 6.5oz) so I guess that makes me a good candidate for waterbirth.

Soooo....what are the benefits of waterbirth? Where can I find out more? What happens once baby comes out, does baby get lifted out of the water straight away? How does it work?

I have to admit the one thing that puts me off is wondering how much "goo" will be floating around in the water...

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

ooooooooooooooooooooohhhh are you going to selangor?!!?!? With KS?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Can i have your Ob?

Dec 2005
    not with crazy people

Why would you want one..I ask why not

I was in a bath filled with water for half of my labour with N...ahh it was bliss I gotta tell ya...the pain was easier for me...i felt weightless (I actually fell alseep lol) I wish I would have been able to have stayed in it but my midwife wanted me on my feet cause I was getting to mellow lol

I think that your more in control of your birth by having a water birth, you are the one that can pass the baby up to yourself IFYKWIM when you have had them....Ive heard from so many woman how empowering it is.

GO for it babe

BellyBelly Member
    Add helle on Facebook

Sep 2008
    Bunbury, Western Australia

I want your ob too, and your hossy XD

I say go for it too, if you end up not liking it or feel you need to have your feet on solid ground to give birth there is nothing stopping you from jumping out...

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I don't remember any goop from mine. Really that doesn't happen right til the end I don't think? It's a bit vague, but I think they pulled bub out quite soon after he was born.

It really did relax me, I found it easier to focus in the water, and the pain relief can't be matched I don't think. I'd recommend it for sure.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Sunshine Coast

Why would you want one..I ask why not
    That's what I'm thinking...I just don't really know anything about waterbirth because it has never been an option. I remember being cranky with the midwife when she made me get out of the shower because "it was time to push" because I found the water so soothing.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Sunshine Coast

ooooooooooooooooooooohhhh are you going to selangor?!!?!? With KS?
    Yup! Thank you sooooooo much for the recommendation!!!!

Mar 2007
    Paradise

There's not too much goo, you will be out of the bath before the placenta arrives.

The water makes the skin easier to stretch, which is good with bigger babies and reduces your chance of tearing.

The baby wont breathe until it feels the air. So when you are pushing you have to have your butt under water, and the baby can stay under water as long as the cord is still pulsating because they are getting oxygen from you.

If you find water relaxing, then have a waterbirth.

Nov 2005
    Where the heart is

For all the reasons above and the fact that we're made up of, what, 70% water or something like that, probably has something to do with how helpful being in water to birth is!
    My two birth stories talk a bit about the role of the birth pool - the last one won't be hard to find, the one for DS will be back in 2007 (I'm pretty sure...it was a while before I got round to writing it!).
    By the time you're getting to the baby expulsion bit and other bits come out you have ZERO care factor and it all gets cleaned up by midwives before you can even notice it anyway...but your partner will tell you, if he's game!!
    Really, I could think of nothing more blissful than birthing in water, so that's what I went for both times.
    And, lady, if you've got an Ob who wants you to do this, GO FOR IT!! And then, tell us all about the service you get from him and plug him widely - there are so few of his type around!
    I'm so glad you have a fantastic caregiver

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2006
    Where the sun shines brightly!

Thumbs up

Wow - If i knew that there were actually Obs like that around I would consider recommending them!! How unreal for you to have the best of both worlds like that - I say go for it. Especially if you laboured drug-free first time around. I'm going to a birth centre where they have a 'labour pool' - as you are only permitted to labour, but not birth in it. The midwives at the centre are petitioning to have this rule changed.
    If you don't like the pool you can jump out - but at least if you try it you will know why everyone raves about them!! Lucky you.

Goodluck!!

XX

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    Sunshine Coast

And, lady, if you've got an Ob who wants you to do this, GO FOR IT!! And then, tell us all about the service you get from him and plug him widely - there are so few of his type around!
    I'm so glad you have a fantastic caregiver
    10 points off for you Maya - KS is not a he! She is wonderful though!

Nov 2005
    Where the heart is

I thought I read 'he' (in hindsight was probly my buddies thread I had open at same time talking bout man Ob)! One handed typing meant I couldn't scroll back up to double check! Still OHT, hand hurts...
    He or She, still unusual - probly rarer for a She!

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Yup! Thank you sooooooo much for the recommendation!!!!
    Welcome

I wish I could recommend her to everyone!!!!! I'm glad I was able to find a good one to recommend to people

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2006
    Warburton

Good to hear about water-birth-informed OBs. There's a great Aussie DVD called 'Birth in Water at John Flynn Hospital' - really nice. And The Art of Birth DVD has some nice water births, too.

Many homebirthers use birth pools *puts up hand*. One woman said, "It's my epidural". Actually I did not find that it offered pain *relief* exactly - but it sure helps you manage, it helps you stay soft and relaxed and it's easy to change positions. You can birth the placenta in the pool too if you want - seen that done a fair few times.

This site has some good info: Waterbirth International
    Last edited by Julie Doula; October 20th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    Sunshine Coast

The midwives at Selangor should have heaps of info they can give you and they'll answer any questions you have (although I never think of questions when I'm there).

ETA: The info they gave me before DS was born says that they generally ask you to get out before birthing the placenta - must ask if that's still the policy and what happens if you want the cord to stop pulsing before its cut.

Jul 2004

There isn't much that comes out with the baby. My waters even broke in the water and you couldn't tell. However I do suggest getting out pretty soon after the birth because my placenta fell out 5 minutes after while i was still in the water and it wasn't a very pretty sight.

But the rest is all good. Instant pain releif, especially in the back. And it's so much easier to move around in the water. Your perinium is also supported a bit in the water because it makes it easier to stretch and sort of lubes it for bub's head to come out, so your less likely to tear or tear as severely. You can left bub out of the water yourself and have your first cuddle straight away. Bub comes out pretty clean too since they pretty much have their first bath while coming out!

Also, it is so much calmer for them. DS2 didn't even cry when he was born and he was so alert and happy. I can honestly say i wouldn't have it any other way now that i've done it.

ETA: Another thing! Trying being in a squating position rather than on your hands and knees, it'll keep your bottom in the water for reasons that alioops said.
    Last edited by Antheia; October 20th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Nov 2005
    Where the heart is

I birthed the placenta in the pool and DS was shown it That's where I wanted to birth it. The water already had lumps of vernix in it, but that was about it till the placenta came out. DD was covered in vernix - she had more than DS had, so I reckon I got a good moisturise whilst I was in there! DS got in and had a wee, so by the time the placenta came there was a goodly dose of bacteria!