Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need info on water birth

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild View Post
    Someone mentioned using the tub but sitting on the plug. I believe this is both potentially dangerous and disrespectful to your careprovider. Forcing a midwife to assist you to deliver your baby in a method she is not comfortable or educated with can be dangerous for your baby. Forcing a midwife (by refusing to get out of the tub or sitting on the plug) sets up a negative and distrustful energy around the birth - birth needs to be as honest and open as possible. It is one of the most sacred events in this world - tainting it intentionally is not a good vibe. Think of the midwife who also may not be covered by indemnity under hospital policy.
    I really agree with this. We had a great thread about sitting on the plug awhile back . I wouldn't recommend it for a first timer. I would have NO ISSUE whatever about sitting on the plug..but I've done birth 3 times already so I'm armed and dangerous about my rights

I hope you can find a waterbirth middy if you want. At the FBC you could still have a waterbirth if you didn't meet the FBC criteria as long as there was a waterbirthing middie around at the time.

Yes I understand Lulu - just that we ask or demand that our careproviders are honest, respectful and trust us... We need to do the same...

I've seen hairy waterbirth with inexperienced help and it's not pleasant... Conversley the safety of waterbirth is second to none PROVIDED you have knowledgeable aid...

I am a midwife who works within the area health service covered by Nepean. The info I gave is up to date on the current policy. At Westmead there are midwives allowing "accidental" waterbirths in their new facilities, but you would have to be lucky enough to get the right one on the day. The only waterbirths in any of these facilities are accidental currently.

Hi First Time Mummy,

I am also birthing at Nepean and was planning a waterbirth!

Peace Angel i am very confused! Thankyou for your information. I am currently 28wks, having antenatal care at Nepean and have been told on multiple occasions that my plan for a waterbirth is fine as long as the plug is pulled when bub is actually birthing! In fact, that is my prime reason for birthing at Nepean, apart from the fact that i start working there in january. Now i am concerened, and without sounding rude, a bit ****ed off (not with you obviously), but with the misinformation i have received. I know there are medicolegal issues surrounding waterbirths, and i know there are many pre-planned, labelled 'accidental' waterbirths that occur at Nepean, Hawkesbury and Blacktown hospitals.

This information is really disconcerting.

First time mummy, i hope you get the birth experience you want and hopefully a water birth will be available to both of us when the time is here. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Emmykate82 View Post
    I am also birthing at Nepean and was planning a waterbirth!

Peace Angel i am very confused! ... have been told on multiple occasions that my plan for a waterbirth is fine as long as the plug is pulled when bub is actually birthing!
    If they pull the plug, it's not a waterbirth! You can labour in the bath at nepean, but you cannot birth in the bath. What Peace Angel has said is correct, I'm afraid. I have had a few clients who have birthed at Nepean (and I have worked there) and they do not support waterbirths. None of the hospitals in the area health service support waterbirths (westmead, blue mountains, blacktown etc).

The only option for a waterbirth is home birth.

To the ladies who would like a water birth. Just talk to the midwives at your chosen hospitals as there is so much conflicting information in this thread now.
    At least if you are talking to those who will be assisting with the birth you will be getting the correct information.

Thank you, organicem, but as has been pointed out by several contributors, even talking to the midwives concerned is problematic because they themselves will give conflicting information. It may be possible to have a waterbirth at these hospitals if you are lucky enough to encounter a midwife who is willing to circumvent the hospital policies, but this is by no means guaranteed.

The safest way to ensure you can have a waterbirth is to access a birth centre which allows for waterbirth as part of their policy, or to have a homebirth. You will not be guaranteed a waterbirth at Nepean or Blacktown, or any western sydney hospitals that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmickers View Post
    It may be possible to have a waterbirth at these hospitals if you are lucky enough to encounter a midwife who is willing to circumvent the hospital policies, but this is by no means guaranteed.

The safest way to ensure you can have a waterbirth is to access a birth centre which allows for waterbirth as part of their policy, or to have a homebirth. You will not be guaranteed a waterbirth at Nepean or Blacktown, or any western sydney hospitals that I am aware of.
    I agree, except that there are no birth centres in the area health service except one at blacktown, but you cannot birth in the water there. IMO, it does not qualify as a birth centre if waterbirth is not allowed. If waterbirth is important to you, you need to have a home birth. Otherwise, bed births are the most common in hospital.

I have read this with interest, and have something to add re. waterbirths in family birthing centres...

My sister was born 8 years ago at the old Mercy FBC, when I was 17 (I attended the birth).

My mum really wanted to have a waterbirth, but didn't want to birth at home (for a number of reasons, including her age and a spinal issue). So, she came up with a pretty good solution!

She hired an incredibly experienced, and bossy (in a good way!) independent midwife, with plenty of experience with home birth and water birth.

Basically, mum used the FBC as a 'location' for her 'home birth'. Her independent midwife 'ran the show', which the FBC midwives were ok about (heck, it gave them a break!).

The Mercy had a policy that you could Labour in water, but NOT birth in water. Basically, mum was labouring in the water, and her fab independent MW just kicked all the other MWs out of the room haha! So mum had her great waterbirth, with full experienced support, in the FBC

Actually, I should add, mum was so relaxed in her waterbirth that she was falling asleep in between contractions haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Talia*L View Post

Actually, I should add, mum was so relaxed in her waterbirth that she was falling asleep in between contractions haha!
    Jeepers, that is relaxed

Glad I stumbled on this thread

I am interested in using water as a pain releif, but still a bit meh about actuallybirthing in water, I guess I'm all for just letting my labour take me where it needs too - hope that doesn't sound stupid or niave oO;; It would be good to have the option though.. hmm, I should start writing down these questions for my booking in appointment.

It's so interesting though, or rather annoying, that so many hopsitals won't allow you to birth in water? If everything is going fabo why the hell not? Understandbly, yes, you'd have to have a midwife who has knowledge of waterbirths, and I agree completely with what Flowerchild has said previously, but what's with the "Policy" bizzo?

Re. Policy... Hmm... Well, the way it was explained to us at the FBC, was that the Big Decisions are made very high up.

And at a Board Meeting, with many Men of a Certain Age, some of whom are not even medically trained, or at least not obstetrically trained, well... when the idea of 'water birth' gets brought up, the men tend to kinda FREAK OUT and say, "what do you mean, water birth?! How does the baby breath? How can the Ob DELIVER THE BABY?!"

And all sorts of naive, uninformed and pretty ridiculous things like that!

So, water birth gets 'banned until further notice' and then that's pretty much the end of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Talia*L View Post
    Re. Policy... Hmm... Well, the way it was explained to us at the FBC, was that the Big Decisions are made very high up.

And at a Board Meeting, with many Men of a Certain Age, some of whom are not even medically trained, or at least not obstetrically trained, well... when the idea of 'water birth' gets brought up, the men tend to kinda FREAK OUT and say, "what do you mean, water birth?! How does the baby breath? How can the Ob DELIVER THE BABY?!"

And all sorts of naive, uninformed and pretty ridiculous things like that!

So, water birth gets 'banned until further notice' and then that's pretty much the end of it!
    oO;;

Oh dear.

I don't know about Sydney, having never lived there, but I'm planning on giving birth at the Monash Medical Birth Centre and they do offer waterbirths as long as an appropriately trained midwife is working. I'm definitely going to use water to aid my pain relief, my midwife sis can't speak highly enough of it!

As for hospitals and their policies, I'm sure some of them are just there to make our (nurses) job more painful! I bet the policy writers earn more than us, too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12