Thread: Water birth/TENS

Smile Water birth/TENS

I'm considering having an 'all natural' water birth, and using a TENS machine in earlier stages of labour. My first birth was very drawn out, and I ended up having Pethidine. I'm very aprehensive about not having that option to fall back on.

I'd love to know about the pro's and cons from anyone who has had a water birth or used the TENS machine. I would like to hear about first hand experiences to help my decision.

Thankyou in advance for your time and replies.

Mel

Hi Mel,

Welcome to BB!! My first birth was 17 hours flat on my back hooked up to a machine, epi, mighty vac and Aiden was prosterior!!! So second time around I was more prepared as I did not want to go through that again!!! I had a beautiful midwife who I discussed all my issues with and told her that I want to labour in the bath and she was all for it!! So I read lots and lots on giving birth and highly recommend 'Birth Skills' Ju Ju Sudin.... I got myself into a wonderful headspace before the birth which really helped!! My labour was short 4hours 29 minutes and 2 of those hours were at home- but when I got to the hospital the bath wasn't ready (it needed to be cleaned) so I did labour for 1.5 standing and yes it was hard but fantastic!! As I went through transistion stage- was begining to lose it then!! the bath was ready and as soon as got into that bath it was HEAVEN......... so relaxing and calming went into a different zone - a peaceful one and I birthed my beautiful Charlotte an hour later - she was prosterior and 9lbs 1 ..... and we all went home 6 hours later!!!

So if you got through that long post .... he he honestly I found it amazing. Good luck babe xx

Question Advice needed about Water birth/TENS

I'm considering having an 'all natural' water birth, and using a TENS machine in earlier stages of labour. My first birth was very drawn out, and I ended up having Pethidine. I'm very aprehensive about not having that option to fall back on.

I'd love to know about the pro's and cons from anyone who has had a water birth or used the TENS machine. I would like to hear about first hand experiences to help my decision.

Thankyou in advance for your time and replies.

Mel
    Last edited by Mel; April 13th, 2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Subject not clear

I used a TENS machine for my first labour with DS and I wish I hadn't. I got so attached to it that I wouldn't take it off because I couldn't use it in the shower. The midwives were encouraging me to try the shower but I was too scared to take off the TENS machine.

In the end I wound up having the full intervention, gas, pethidine, epidural and then forceps with second degree tearing and heaven knows how many stitches. I swore I would never do that again, the recovery from the forceps delivery was horrendous.

So with DD I had decided that no matter how bad it got it would be worth not having that recovery to go through again and I birthed her with no pain relief other than the shower. The shower was absolutely fabulous, so soothing, and when it was time to push I hadn't reached my pain threshold - and she was a whole pound heavier than DS (9lb 6.5oz) and I felt amazing afterwards, only 3 tiny little stitches.

This time I'm planning a full on proper waterbirth, can't wait, I loved the shower so much I think this will be right up my alley.

I often wonder if DS' birth would have been different if I'd taken off the TENS machine and gotten into the shower.