Thread: Waterbirth in Bunbury WA?

Default Waterbirth in Bunbury WA?

Hello,
    I'm moving to Bunbury WA from Ireland in May and I'm wondering if it's possible for me to have a waterbirth there?

Home birth seems to be quite rare in Oz and the only hospital I can find that offer it are in Perth which is a 2 hours drive from Bunbury. Not sure I'd fancy that while having contractions!!

Any info I could get would be great thanks!!

a friend of mine who lives a couple of hours north from perth went through the community midwifery program for her homebirth.

even though it was a bit of a drive, they still accepted her into it. and you could have a waterbirth too.

hope that helps

SIL had a water homebirth near Fremantle. So it's definitely do-able. I can find out details if u want (PM me).

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

You can apply for the CMP (which is the midwifery program) I think Bunbury is out of their area, but they do take out of area women if it works with travel ect, with them you can homebirth or birth at one of their Hospys (but that will mean travel to Perth) Kaleeya is the hospy in Freo (still 90min away) they have water birth. Peel Health campus is a nearer hospital but lat i heard no waterbirth and huge C-Sec rate. Your other options is to put out feelers for an independent MW in the area.

I'm about an hour out of Perth in a different direction, and in the end i decided homebirth in water was more important to me than hospital with the travelling involved but of course thats a very personal decision. I just can't comprehend going back to birthing dry.

you can always try cmp. pretty sure the standard is an hour out of Perth cbd but if they have a mw who is willing to do it you may be in luck. I know they have a mw 1 hour south of Perth so that's only an hour from you.

if you have the money, I'm pretty sure there is an independent mw or two down your way too.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

They do water births in the public hospital in bunbury (so I found out today)! Not sure if its pools or baths but they still support and encourage natural birthing

They do have baths- I had my daughter at Bunbury hospital. Technically you're not meant to birth in them but if you refuse to get out they can't force you. straight from the midwife's mouth.

South West Midwifery Practice has just launched in Bunbury (on Jan 16th, so it's still very new!). It allows eligible low-risk women to choose home births.

(Hopefully it's okay to quote the contact details?? Apologies if I'm not meant to do this.)

Women can apply to be part of the program by directing self-referral enquiries to [email protected] until January 25 and to [email protected] after January 25.
    In regards to Bunbury Regional Hospital - they do have 2 (or is it 3??) big baths. They are not in any of the birthing suites though, they are across the hall.