Thread: Waterbirth in Perth?

Default Waterbirth in Perth?

Hey ladies!
    I'm not UTD yet but planning ahead for when I am are there any places that do water births in Perth? have heard and seen so many positive things about it and its what I want to do for my first birthing experience

TIA!
    Anna xx

you can often have a waterbirth if you have a homebirth Perth has a government funded homebirth program, or you can hire an independent midwife and have her attend your homebirth. There are pros and cons to each option. Government programs have restrictions on who they accept and what conditions you or baby have. Independent midwives generally have less restrictions and you have more choice in how things occur but there is a cost.

Water is amazing during labour and birth. My 2nd was a home waterbirth and i don't think i could land birth after experiencing water.

The only problem is, both my partner and the father of the child, don't want me to have a home birth even when I try to explain to them the massive pros of it. They both saw the thing on the news a couple of weeks ago about home births and "high risks and complications and infant deaths". Even though I tried and tried to explain.
    Any tips there? Or just any hospitals offering water births?

My sister had a water birth at the King Edwards birth centre. She got in the bath and simply refused to get out Her awesome midwife just played along and let her have her DS2 in there. She loved it, the video footage in amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    My sister had a water birth at the King Edwards birth centre. She got in the bath and simply refused to get out Her awesome midwife just played along and let her have her DS2 in there. She loved it, the video footage in amazing.
    Ohh ill keep that in mind! Thank you hopefully I can get away with it to when the time comes

If they disagree then put it to them to find the data that hospital birth is safer. Proper published studies, not media hype news stories. Once you start looking into HB you quickly find that for low risk pregnancies it is no more dangerous than birthing in a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Artechim View Post
    If they disagree then put it to them to find the data that hospital birth is safer. Proper published studies, not media hype news stories. Once you start looking into HB you quickly find that for low risk pregnancies it is no more dangerous than birthing in a hospital.
    That's my views on things too. I would love a HB if its safe for me to do so. I will be trying to convince them with some research, I have ample time to get to them lol. But as a back up if I have to go into hospital I want a water birth

I had a water birth at Gallier's Private out next to Armadale public, and I think I remember hearing you can in the public side now too.
    Kaleeya in Freo do water births - just ring around the hospitals and ask!

I know Osborne park has a bath but don't do water births in it. Which is a bit of a shame

Did the KEMH tour this week and yep, they'll let you do water births, though not for VBAC's.

the difficulty with wanting a waterbirth in hospital is often not all staff are 'trained' and allowed to facilitate waterbirths, so on the day you might find your midwife is not able to help you out. i recently attended a mate's birth and the first midwife she had was able to monitor waterbirths, but then her labour was longer than this midwife s shift, and so she was then told she wold have to get out of the water to birth her bub.

homebirth is safer than hospital birth with less intervention for mum and baby. if you want more information, check out the homebirth threads.

http://news.ku.dk/all_news/2012/2012...o_to_hospital/

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    the difficulty with wanting a waterbirth in hospital is often not all staff are 'trained' and allowed to facilitate waterbirths, so on the day you might find your midwife is not able to help you out. i recently attended a mate's birth and the first midwife she had was able to monitor waterbirths, but then her labour was longer than this midwife s shift, and so she was then told she wold have to get out of the water to birth her bub.

homebirth is safer than hospital birth with less intervention for mum and baby. if you want more information, check out the homebirth threads.

http://news.ku.dk/all_news/2012/2012...o_to_hospital/
    Thank you