Thread: Can I just keep one feed???

Default Can I just keep one feed???

My DS is 14 and half months and has self dropped all but the night feed, he feeds both sides from me at night time and then will drink about 100mls of cows milk from his sipper cup I thought I was ready to let go and stop BF but i'm just not ready. he hasn't been day BF since he turned 1 he was feeding morning and night and having sipper cup of cows milk during the day, but the last two weeks we have stopped the morning feed as he often wasn't awake before i left for work (DH drops him at FDC when I work as i leave at 6.50am) so rather than wake him he was having cows milk but if he was awake he would BF. I was okay (sort of) with that but now that I have only one feed left i realise i don't really want to let go.
    So can i just keep one feed? has anyone else done this? My MCHN told me to drop the morning feed last so I have I done the wrong thing????

Do whatever works for you

C would only have the night time feed at about that age because there was too much to see and do for him to want to stop long enough. Come night time he liked a quiet cuddle and a BF. He didn't need it to go to sleep but we both enjoyed the wind down at the end of the day.

Yes, - no worries. This is a pretty common scenario for older babies who a breastfed. Why do you think you've done the wrong thing? Sounds to me like you are doing a fab job!

Both DD2 and DS dropped the night feed last.

What silly advice from your MCHN! There is no "right" feed to drop last - in fact usually our kids choose it for us anyway and they are all different. DS1 dropped his night feed last, DS2 dropped his morning feed last. That was just what they did. Whatever works for you and your DS is the right thing to do.

It is fine to keep one feed going for as long as you like (and your DS!). DS2 had one feed a day for months before he totally weaned!

Keep up the great work!

thanks everyone, I don't know why I doubt myself but why is it the minute a "professional" or someone in the know says something we assume it's gospel, I realy need to work on question stuff that sounds weird to me.
    Oh well I will hang on to this night feed as long as Cooper will let me it has been such a special time for us and I know people who don't have kids or didn't BF for what ever reason can't believe I want to keep going but I will be so sad when it stops.
    Thanks everyone again really appreciate your posts.

I know two ladies who still feed their babies occassionally (not even everyday) andthey are both over two so it is definately possible.

KimmyF - with both my kids when they get close to weaning we can sometimes go a few days between feeds and there is still milk there. Also when I was working and BF DD would have cows milk at DC for the 2 days I worked but be fully BF at home. I think when you are feeding older bubs you can be a lot more flexible without affecting your milk supply too much/

Do whatever is working for you both hun, and by the sounds of it it's keeping that super special night feed, which will send him off to sleep with wonderful warm feelings of love