Thread: Help with weaning?? 15 month old

Question Help with weaning?? 15 month old

I am not sure if this is in the right place but it seems the most appropriate (please move if it is not).

DD and I have been on our BF journey for 15 months. We struggled initially with Thrush that just would not quit and then we were told that she was tongue tied at nearly 9 weeks of age. We have settled into a routine with DD setting the pace. I can honestly say that BF is not something that I have really enjoyed but I haven't disliked it either. Gee that doesn't make much sense but its the only way I can describe my feelings. But I am ready to have my body back (I know that sounds selfish)

So after 15 months I am ready to wean DD.I have tried before without much success. DD is down to a feed in the morning and one before bed. She dropped her afternoon one a while ago. I kept offering but she just wasn't interested (I am not even sure if this it the right amount of feeds for her age ?). I do understand about dropping one feed at a time to avoid mastitis (thinking its not that hard for only 2 feeds).

Do I replace the feeds with cows milk? And if so how? DD refuses to drink the stuff. I have tried to give it to her in sippy cups, even a special just for milk cup. I have tired it hot and cold, even just giving it to her during the day as no pressure drinks?

Please help. I am completely lost as to what to do?

Please anyone?

Hi indie 24!

Well done on going this far Bfeeding!! We had troubles with thrush too- not fun!! So good on you for pursuing!! And its not selfish to say you want your body back!! I understand what you mean!! I am at pretty much the same place with my little boy. He is 15 months and we have dropped all feeds except for sleep feeds as he still feeds to sleep!!

I think at this age- you dont HAVE to replace the feeds with milk. For us we did do milk in a sippy cup to get to this stage as DS loooved his little snack feeds- so i made a game out of it- and when he asked for a feed we had to go and "find" some milk.

One thing i did- which i dont know if it was the best thing or not- but i added a tiny amount of strawberry flavoured quick to his drink- he never actually drank a whole cup in one day and most of it gone thrown out- but it was enough to encourage him to have a go.

But in saying that- i dont think you really need to offer milk. I would probably try and eliminate the morning feed first (thats my next step) Do you offer or does DD ask? I know some people have tried the dont offer dont refuse method- where DD would have to ask for it. But if your wanting to wean- then maybe if she is asking just refuse the morning feed- and read a book together or something or just get right into breakfast first thing in the morning. Distraction seems to be the key at this age!
    For me its going to be hard to not do that morning feed- as its my "extra sleep time" when DS wakes up he comes into our bed and i feed so he stays in and rests for a bit more!! Makes the 6:30 wake up more of an 8am wake up!! Oh and then i have to try and teach him how to go to sleep with out boobie!! So we are not quite there yet! But i am very proud of how well he took eliminating all feeds besides sleep time ones!

I think your doing a great job! I think from here you just play it by ear and see how you go! From what i have read- kiddies seem to magically go through a stage once weaning has started that they just go oh ok, its all over and stop. But mine hasnt done that yet!!

Good luck! I will keep an eye out to see how you go and to get some tips!!

Just moving this thread to the Weaning support area, hun. You'll probably get more responses that way and it's more appropriate.

well done on getting to 15 months! Ash weaned himself at 13.5 months and I was so upset. He would ask for it then he just didnt' want it. Have you tried not offering it and only feeding when she asks? That would be what I would try first. She is still too little to understand really. I've heard of people putting bandaids on their nipples and saying they are 'ouchies' so no more.

You don't have to offer cows milk at all. Ashton only has it in a bottle before bed, he drinks water the rest of the time. Cows milk isn't an essential part of a childs diet as long as they are getting calcium from vegies and other dairy like cheese or yogurt.

Good luck.

i am no weaning expert, but when DD weaned at about 15 months i didn't offer her cows milk as an alternative. She has never had a milk drink before bed or in the morning. If she wants a cup of milk now she can have one, but i don't make it a regular thing as such. She mostly drinks water. As long as she has an adequate diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg her calcium intake should be sufficient. But if you are concerned you can get some advice from a pediatric nutritionist.
    Cows milk is very different to BM, so she probably doesn't like the taste. I know i don't!

If you want to cut out the morning feed, could you try distracting her and just offering breakfast? Sorry i'm not more helpful!
    Last edited by Junglemum; December 14th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Ange, did you mean 5 months or 15 months?

heheheheh, 15! thanks.