Thread: My job as a BF mother is almost over....

Default My job as a BF mother is almost over....

Well, I am feeling very emotional today...

After a HUGE battle, I am down to the last feed for DS2, which I will be stopping tonight.

DS2 took to BF like a duck to water, a perfect little booby man, and has been so for the past 5 months. I have had so much joy feeding him, and knowing that I have given him a great start to life. From the first feed, to the last, he grunts and wiggles with pleasure, and feeding him has been an absolute joy. The way he rests his little hand on my chest, or pops off and smiles up at me...

However, due to my medical issues, I have had to force (gently help) him to wean. He had no end of trouble taking to a cup/bottle, and after some help we have finally gently helped him into drinking from the sippy cup and only have the 3am feed left to let go of.

I will be doing that tonight, and wanted to post here, as it is a bitter sweet moment for me. So many emotions attached to this. Joy, sadness, excitement, guilt, regret ... We will not be having any more children, so this is it for BF for me. I am so pleased I have been able to give this to my kids, even for the short time they both had. Yet, I feel regret for them, that I have had to "cut off" that special feeling they get when feeding. But it has forced me to find other special ways to keep that closeness with the boys, which I may not have done otherwise.

And then there is the feeling of excitement I get thinking that I can get my body back, just for me. And that I could, if I wanted, leave the boys, and know that they are going to be able to be nourished.

Dunno how to end this... I an holding onto this last feed for as long as possible, yet know it has to go, and last night, there really was not enough milk left for DS, and I had to top up with a bottle which he took quite easily... ...

Oh well, about to head out to my ABA playgroup and watch all the other mummies bf while I give him a bottle... But I am wearing one of my favourite tops out that I have not worn for ages as it is not feeding friendly... as I said bittersweet.

Congrats for doing a fantastic job Hun, I understand the emotions you talked about!

Awww, well done

Hun, a warm congratulaions for BF'ing for 5 months, you have done a wonderful job, so proud of you. It must have been a very difficult decision to have to wean.

The last few feeds are always so difficult, just take each as if it is the last and cherish every moment, I feel you pain, it broke my heart when DD weaned

babe.

Ruf, congratulations on coming so far with both your boys - and finally persuading DS2 to take a sippy cup. You've done an awesome job xx

Aw, it does sound bittersweet. You have some great memories and that must be comforting. You forgot to add about all the knowledge you've gleaned which you are great at sharing with others, too.
    Congrats to you, and enjoy your moment tonight

Aww well done ruf! You've done a fantastic job nourishing your boys. Enjoy that last special feed tonight

What a wonderful job you have done and yes its quite a bittersweet moment. Thinking of you and i'm sure the cuddles will just get better

Thanks for your understanding girls.

I am willing time to slow down so I dont have to do this last feed, but secretly pleased it is the one in the middle of the night so I can have a good cry in the dark to say goodbye to my bf days.

Well that is it. It is done. Despite the ache in my bbs and my heart I made DS a bottle in the night... We are now officially weaned.

I also just want to thank all the BB girls who have helped my with BF, either directly or indirectly over the years. Without you all I would not have been able to do this. And I now hope I can share my experiences with others and help support them in their journeys. I don't think I qualify to be an ABA support person, so will have to share my knowledge in here.

Now, better get my head around contraception......... eek..........
    xo

Ruf, I'm glad you got to enjoy those last special bfing moments. Being able to remember that last feed is a good thing. And well done on all of that wonderful bfing!

Enjoy wearing your non-bfing friendly clothes!