Thread: Need help with weaning

Default Need help with weaning

Juliette is slowly weaning & I'm quite happy about it, 13 months is a good effort, but now I want my body back thanks very much.

At the moment she is having three breastfeeds a day. She has one around 3-4pm, one at bedtime around 7pm (very short though) and then one at around 2-3am. How do I get it so the 3am one is later (like 7am) and then the 3pm one is moved back to bedtime, effectively removing the overnight feed? She really doesn't need the bedtime one because it's so quick compared with the others, but I'd prefer her to have a longer feed then & none overnight.

Can you try introducing an afternoon snack to replace the arvo feed?

Do you mean so she has a proper feed before bed & then is full for the night & won't need the 3am one? Hmmm interesting idea Trillian.

There are a couple of approaches you could take Sarah. At that age, the first approach I would probably try is to not feed her when she wakes in the night. This can be easier than you are expecting (but not always ). The first step would be to offer water when she wakes. That might work. If not try cuddles and water. If that doesn't work, see if your DH can settle her. If none of that works, feed her, but limit the time or number of sucks and gradually reduce that. Or go away overnight - that has helped many a mum to night wean!!

Another option would be try and re-times the feeds as you suggested in your OP. With this approach I would probably start by offering a bf first thing in the morning. Then I would give her solids meals as normal, and try not to bf again until before bed. A good afternoon, some water and distraction might be the keys to getting through the 3 - 5pm stage.

And if none of these ideas work, let us know and I'll think of some more!

GL hun.

I night weaned my DD at 16 mths as I couldn't handle her sudden constant waking for bbs and then needing to work some days. We switched to a cup at night time (water only) and plenty of cuddles in bed. It seemed to work, after a week she no longer asked for bbs. Then she was having three bfs a day, morning, nap and night. I cut out the nap time one within the next couple of months (she wasn't having it when I was at work anyway). As you can see, it didn't end our bfing journey - but it certainly made it work better with our lifestyle!

I think if you stretch out the morning one until you wake up you'll at least find she isn't waking you at 3am (I started telling DD that bbs were asleep at night). I think if you distract her during the afternoon so she doesn't have the afternoon one she will make up for it with a longer bf before bed.

Yep, that's what I meant LOL. I was in a rush yesterday when I posted it sorry

Typical! I've been trying things for the last few days that you guys have suggested with no luck, then last night she went 8pm-8am!! And I did nothing LOL! She went to bed a little later because we were at the ILs, so she had her bedtime feed at 8pm, woke at 10pm but just needed her dummy, woke at 1am & I gave her a cuddle expecting her to want a feed but she fell back to sleep, then she was up at 7.30am. Let's hope she does it again tonight....

Last night was pretty good as well, actually it was fantastic!! J went to bed at 6.30 when I left for my course, slept until 5am and I managed to hold her off for 1/2 an hour before a feed. Not a single wake up in between either Cheeky monster is still asleep now!

WOOHOO!!! Two nights in a row - what a great girl you have there Sarah!

We managed a full week which was just awesome Now miss J is sick & the last few nights have meant extra feeds, but still none during the day. I was feeling really down with myself not being consistent, but my awesome DH & BF reassured me that when we are runnin on virtually no sleep & she is sick that it's ok to do it. This is why I love them both

Ah, that's great that you have such support around you. I have heard a few stories recently where bfing has stopped a sick baby getting dehydrated and needing a drip, so you can be kind to yourself on this one. I'm sure you'll be able to get your routine back as soon as she's well.

HI Sarah, DS had a sick day recently and extra feeds, but went back to none overnight once he was better, so hopefully will go smoothly for you too.