Thread: Ouch!!! Sore Breasts.....

Unhappy Ouch!!! Sore Breasts.....

Help my breasts are killing me... I have checked for mastitus and all clear. I have just finished weaning my bub off the boob and expressed for the last time last night. Now it seems like my boobs are about to explode. How long does it take for this discomfort to go away??? I don't want to continue to express because it feels like I am just producing more milk by doing so?? I hope it's not too long till I can hold my bub without my boobs being squashed in pain....Ouchie wa wa's.... Is there anything else to soothe aswell?? Cabbage leaves have been good and ice packs are a help... but gosh oh mighty there has to be a quicker sure fire way to dry this milk up or at least let it not hurt so much??

I think mine were the worst for the first 3 or 4 days, they felt pretty much back to normal with in a week. That was over 4 years ago though, so I haven't got the clearest memory, lol.

rather than pumping, hand express just until you are more comfy - you may have to do this briefly a few times a day for a while.

Just express a little for comfort (in the shower is good) and get those lumps out - you don't want it turning into mastitis. It will take a while for the milk to completely disappear, but hopefully just a few days for it to be more comfortable.

Laura, as the others have said, weaning suddenly puts you at risk of mastitis. I'm not sure of your situation - are you comfortable to share why you are weaning cold-turkey like this? Ideally, if it is possible given your reasons for weaning, dropping feeds one at a time over a period of weeks is recommended so that your supply decreases more gradually and you are less likely to get mastitis.

If you are weaning cold-turkey, you will need to express some milk. As you know, expressing a lot will stop your supply from reducing as quickly, but expressing enough to stop the really full feeling is necessary, and won't increase your supply. Also, if you have lumps, you do need to express enough for them to go away, and if possible even give the baby a feed on the side with lumps to help move them (feeding on all fours works really well for this as you are using gravity to your advantage). Also, if you feel fluey, or your breasts get warm or red, please seek medical advice quickly, as mastitis gets very nasty very quickly.

All the best!