Thread: Ouch!!! What else can I do?

Question Ouch!!! What else can I do?

Well I fed my baby for the last time 8 days ago. He was only feeding once a day. I expected my boobs to be really painful for a few days, but they were fine, a little tender but fine.

6 days on I could really feel them. I only really noticed when I picked DS or DD up and held them on my left side. The last 2 days have been super ouchy. My right is full and tender, but manageable. My left has a HUGE lump and a few smaller lumps and is super sensative. I'm assuming they are blocked ducts and have been applying a heat bag when I can (10 mins here and there). Last night I gently massaged it and leaked for ages.

There are no red marks or streaks, and I don't have flu like symptoms.

Standing in a hot shower doesn't seem to do much, but has always worked for me in the past.

I don't want this to turn into mastitis as I can only imagine how ouchy that would be.

Any suggestions on easing the pain. I just feel like putting DS back on to fix it up - but that would create more problems and confuse the poor little mite.

Hi,

You need to remove some of that milk - and you are right - the simplest approach would be just to feed your baby. I doubt that he would be too confused at this age (has he been a reluctant weaner?) Otherwise, you might try to express some milk in the shower, by hand.
    Use ice packs on your breasts to reduce the inflammation.

Thanks Barb. Reluctant!!! Yes, you could say that. I slowly cut down feeds and weaned at night only about a month ago. DS would have loved to keep feeding but I was ready to have my body back. I've either been pregnant or feeding for almost 4 years and I found that the feeding was creating sleeping problems. Although now that it's all over, I feel rather sad that I might not ever get to feed one of my babies again.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the ice pack now.