Thread: please help... Weaning at 3 months

Default please help... Weaning at 3 months

Okay so ladies before I start with my question I just want to stay I feel guilty enough for giving up for no "good" reason so I'm just after help not advice on why I should contintue. My reasons are all personally for me, not for Oliver, I may need to go back on anti depressants and I'm not willing to "test" the safe for breast feeding one due to be living alone with the boys and my reactions to other ones before I found the one I use to take before pregnancy. I NEED to lose weight and I don't want to question my supply once I start at the gym (that will only lead to more depression). I need to take a course of antiflams for my back and can't while BF. My body is reacting to ALL deodorants and making me stink!!!! and the next step is to try something to reduce the sweating orally which again I can't do while BF... I'm sure there are a few more reasons but I'm too upset to continue with my selfish reasons

I dropped a fed every second day up until my final feed on Wednesday morning. Oliver is doing great on formula (although he wasn't entirely happy filling his nappy this morning but I'm hoping that's just a once off).

Thursday my right breast started feeling a bit heavy and a small lump appeared, the lump doesn't seem to be going anywhere and last night I had to lay on my other side as it's still pretty tender. Not to sure on if I should just leave it and put it down to just the fact that I haven't fed and my body will get use to it. I got this same lump before each feed while feeding. Should I do anything?

Jump in the hot shower and rub the crap out of the lump. Heat packs are also helpful.

Also you might need to hand express a bit in the shower to help move the lump.

I had the same thing when I weaned and the lumps went away after a few days. They didn't develop into mastitis, which is what you want to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isnt there something you can get a prescription for to help dry up the milk?

Hi Hun, the lump could be a blocked duct (which ironically will be helped by anti-inflammatories), so I would treat that as for any blocked duct, regardless of bfing. Baby can help drain it better than anything, so trying to wean him slowly would be the best idea so as not to run the risk of mastitis.

Have you called Dr Rodney Whyte at Monash and asked about your meds? He has the most up to date info on bfing and meds. His number is in a sticky in the main bfing section. Often drs and pharmaceutical companies take a 'cover your backside' approach to meds and bfing, when in reality many meds only carry such a tiny amount through breast milk that you are still better off bfing with that tiny amount than switching to ffing.

I personally would check there first before feeling I had to make a decision, especially since you're feeling so low about it. Then you can make a decision knowing you gave it your best shot (no guilt involved!).

I'm sorry you're finding it tough atm. You have done very well to bf for these three months with all you've been managing.

Quote Originally Posted by FabFiona View Post
    Jump in the hot shower and rub the crap out of the lump. Heat packs are also helpful.
    Not meaning to contradict, but massage of a lump should be very gentle, fingertip light touches only, or else you run the risk of damaging the duct and causing further problems. Heat is good before you feed from that side, but an ice pack and anti-inflammatory afterwards helps alleviate both the pain and inflammation causing the blockage.

When I had big rock lumps when my milk came in a just massaged them in a hot shower, and expressed a bit out to make it comfy but I dont think my body thought it was a feed itms? It never got to mastitis ... Just recently I've had the same thing as dd got really fussy feeding for a few days. Did the same thing and all seems fine.
    HTH, and don't beat yourself up, you've done a great job bfing your boy for this long x

Don't feel guilty for stopping bf. Like anything else, we have to make decisions based on our personal situation and the resources we have. If you are depressed and ff will help you, then I can't see how this will be a bad thing for you, bubs or your other children. Anyway that's just my opinion. Good luck with the weaning. Sounds like your DS likes the formula.