Thread: So I think we are done...

Smile So I think we are done...

This morning Charlotte came to bed, and asked for a feed.

I offered left, she sucked oddly for about 5 mins, squirmed the whole time and then pulled off saying "I don't think it is working anymore mummy!"
    We have had a few chats about what might happen to the boob juice now I am pregnant, and the first few weeks it appeared there was an increase in supply.
    The last 10 days, Charlotte has been unwell with a nasty bout of gastro, and not feeding (the milk was making her vomit ) so I think this may have been the trigger.
    I put her on the right and the same thing, "Not working mummy, it's empty!" The tone in her voice was actually quite funny - the indignation! lol I must admit I felt a little sad. This has been happening for a little while, where she complains of them being empty or not working.

I told her that I think perhaps she may not be able to feed anymore, she nodded. I said I am sorry. She nodded and began jiggling the boob Totally unphased!!

I am not sure how I feel... I have been feeling a little bit over it lately, not into being touched and hung off and they are understandable more sensitive than they used to be and I don't like the sensation of her feeding at the moment. But I feel a little sad now, that it is over just like that. I know I could offer her again tomorrow and my supply may kick start....but honestly not sure I want to, in fact, I know I don't.

I wanted her to be weaned before the baby comes, the thought of tandem feeding scared the hell out of me - just not sure Charlotte could handle the sharing issues, the bubs needs to feed first issues, etc and really not sure I wanted to - in spite of the fact that tandem feeding would have been something I would have been really proud of...

As it stands though, I am so proud and so happy of what we have achieved - I exclusively breastfed my baby for the first 7 months of her life, in the face of opposition from those closest to me, I have stayed the course of self weaning while fending off and being polite to comments and groans of 'when are you going to stop feeding her', and although this final step is not exactly her choice, she seems comfortable with stopping. I am sure she will ask in days to come, but I am satisfied with our accomplishment and know she will be just fine without it - although I am also sure the boobs will continue to be a source of comfort through being cuddled and poked and prodded

So....

2 years, 7 months, 1 week and 1 day... ,
    Or 951 days...
    Or 135 weeks...

from when we started,

I think our breastfeeding relationship is at an end

Oh hun sending you a big and a huge congratulations for your achievement. I do understand your mixed feelings, I suspect DS is currently in the process of weaning down to not feeding at all. Even though he is only 15 months old & I am not pg, I could have just about written your post. So much about being a mum is managing ambivalent feelings isn't it?

Thanks Kaz
    It is a really odd feeling, I thought maybe I would be either relieved or devastated...but feeling a weird mix of both and a realisation that I am ok, she is ok and it is all as it should be! lol

I am sure that I am done now though, so I hope she doesn't try and jump on the bandwagon next week, I am confident she is old enough now to stop without issues.

Good luck with whichever way DS goes... I though Charlotte was weaning about the same age then she upped her feeds lol They are so unpredictable!

Oh wow!!!
    What an incredible achievement!
    Well done!

lol

well done on such a great achievement

You have such great memories to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    "I don't think it is working anymore mummy!"
    This gave me a little giggle

What an absolutely amazing achievement!!! Congratulations on feeding your gorgeous girl for so long!!! So sorry that it has come to an end.

Well done for feeding Charlotte for as long as you did!!! That's an amazing job and you must feel so proud of yourself and your DD. And ignoring all those comments from people around you too along the way.... Sorry it's come to an end also... I too would be feeling a bit mixed emotions about it all, and that's totally normal.

What a fantastic achievement :-) Well done!

Congratulations!! What an amazing achievement!!

Congrats to you and your LO on such a fantastic breastfeeding journey. I understand that it is sad that it has come to an end but you must be so proud of yourselves at the same time

Well done for such a great breastfeeding relationship!
    but it may not be over yet! toddlers often want to try again when baby is here..

Congratulations on comign so far
    It's funny isn't it? I got so worked up worrying about weaning, and then when it happened it was ok. I suspect that DS is just biding his time till the baby is here because he knows the milk will come back then.

Great job Mumma!
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Oorki Galoorki View Post
    but it may not be over yet! toddlers often want to try again when baby is here..

lol oh yes, it is! We are not going back... We have talked a lot about the milk being for the baby, and how the baby needs the boobs now she is a big girl. But def not going back

Thanks heaps girls Vey proud of making it so far...would have been nce to make it to 3 years, which was our next milestone goal, but all good!

Well done, LS!! Fantastic achievement!! Enjoy the rest of your pg.