Thread: For those who've weaned an older one?

Question For those who've weaned an older one?

Ok, so I've done it.
    BFing just got too painful with all these hormones mucking up my body, so I cut poor DS off cold turkey
    It was a week yesterday & while it hasn't been as hard as I thought, he's still asking for it.
    I've always heard to break a habit the first 4 days are the hardest, than over the next few days it'll get easier.
    It's not as bad as I thought, but if he wakes over night he still cries for it for at least half an hour. He doesn't get distressed & worked up about it any more though.
    & he's still asking on occasion through the day, but isn't too persistant.
    So anyone have any idea how much longer it might take? Just a guess based on how long it took your 2 year old?

umm.. i went cold turkey with DD1 at about 17months. she had a dummy and whenever she asked for booby i would say no its broken but we can have a 'close cuddle' which was dummy in hold her in breastfeeding position, she would rest her cheek on my booby (over my clothes) and i would give her a big snuggle and rock her for a moment. she would then run off to play... (minus dummy) we did the close cuddle thing for months though she wasnt upset about not getting booby. oh, she also used to put her hand down my top and rest it on my booby for a while which i think gave her comfort when she needed it.

Yeah, DS likes putting things down my top, but if I let his hand in too far he pulls it out himself, lol.
    He has nothing else for comfort & hates being cuddled if he can't have boob. So there's no dummy or anything else to kind of give him that comfort.
    He has been asking for drinks after a while sometimes though. So that helps. & back scratches...if he's in the mood.

I don't know if this will work, but if you feel your supply has dropped or there's no milk there, do you think it might help to give him a try and let him see for himself that there's nothing there? That way you can tell him 'no milk, honey, sorry'.

The other thing might be to remind him that boobies are sore (try a bandaid on your nipples).

GL hun!

DoubleK Guest

i weaned DD1 at 2y7m. at the time i was pregnant with DD2, so we went with the whole 'you're too big to have boobie now, its for baby sister' - that worked for us!

sorry i dont have better advice for you!

He's doing ok as long as I offer him a drink & he isn't tired. He really doesn't like the baby idea. I tried the big boy thing last time & now if I call him a big boy he wants it coz it reminds him I'm trying to stop it, lol.
    The baby...he's the baby... There's no baby in mum's tummy, lol. I ask where the baby is & he says 'right here' pointing to himself! If I say 'whats in mum's belly', he says, 'no! My baby!'
    So I don't think that'll work!

He is still asking & still trying to get them out, but I think its more just coz thats where he's used to going for a drink. Specially since he started saying 'drink' instead of boo boo.