Thread: When to drop that last feed and what will happen???

Default When to drop that last feed and what will happen???

Well first of all I'm really sad to find myself at the point where we're about to drop the bed-time feed, our last feed. But I'm 18 weeks pregnant with number two and I don't want to tandem feed so I know I need to bite the bullet and do it sometime soon and probably before we go to Perth in two weeks time. And after that DD's also starting family daycare a couple of days a week. I don't want to heap a whole lot of changes on her at once. But not only am I sad about losing this time with her and feeling like I'm denying her the nurturing she wants but I'm nervous it's going to disrupt her sleep. She has only just started sleeping through in the last couple of weeks. Has anyone else found dropping this last feed has disrupted their sleep? And if I continued BFing for another month or two do you think it will be harder for her in the end when she sees the next baby feeding? Also my MIL keeps on at me about how I'm doing terrible things to my bones by BFing during pregnancy blah blah blah. Sorry, there's quite a bit of stuff in this post, but you get my general worries...

Firstly, congrats on feeding your DD for over a year, that's a fantastic effort!

I'm still giving my DD a morning feed, but I did drop her bed time feed about a month ago (my DD is about 1 month younger than yours, so about the same age!) so I can tell you how I did it. I just decided what day I was going to do it and that was it. I was prepared to have a disrupted sleep, but to my surprise, she slept through as if nothing had changed! All I did was straight after her solid dinner, I gave her a sippy cup of milk which is about an hour before bed time. Then at bed time, I just sat her on my lap and read her a book as usual, and then put her down. To my surprise, she wasn't phased in the slightest! So to answer your sleep question, no it didnt disrupt my DD. I think you just have to give it a go, and see what works for your LO.

Good luck hun