Thread: Baby shower.... Who organised yours or who should have or did you?

Default Baby shower.... Who organised yours or who should have or did you?

So I feel like I had been a dodge friend and sister..... I never organised a baby shower for my sister (neither did mum - her friends did for her 3rd bab (first girl)). I never organisation my BFFs - was planning my wedding and always assumed your family did it.....

So.... Anyway, my mum said she won't because she didn't for my sister...... My BFF has mentioned talking to my sister about it, but I feel guilty about either of them doing it cause I didn't for them.... I'm inclined to do it myself, but its weird doing that.....

So... What would you do? Who do you think should do it??

Default Re: Baby shower.... Who organised yours or who should have or did you?

I organised mine with my mum and sister. I think other people doing it without your input is outdated and can be a bit difficult. I didn't want the cost to fall on anyone else either so I paid for most of it.
    Maybe meet up with your sister and BFF and talk it over. I don't think it matters whether or not you have organised one for them previously. I helped organise and finance my SILs baby shower but she wasn't involved in organising mine and that was ok.

My mum and SIL did mine. Traditionally your maid of honour is meant to do it. My mum and SIL were adamant they wanted to though.

I've heard all sorts of combos doing it though. If they would like to do it with you though, you could always get them to help, send the invites etc?

My SIL & BF organised mine. All I provided was a list of people I wanted to invite & drinks (wine & soft drink) I felt really guilty not being able to contribute more financially but they were both adamant it was my day to relax. They organised the food, cake & the one game we played. My day was very low key though, I wanted it to be more about catching up with good friends who I may not see for a while.

I did mine =)

My mum and sister. My sister was living in Vietnam but did a great job of pulling together games, while my mum hosted and catered

I did my own with DS2, I didn't have anything for my first, but knew that DS2 would be my last baby. Nobody offered so I did it myself

I started doing my own, but when the invites were sent my friends said it was something they'd love to do for me and they did the rest. They all (4 of them) lived an hour away so they turned up an hour early and put pre-prepared food in the oven, set up our outdoor area and decorated, had games with prizes and everything. All I did was clean before they got there and made cupcakes. It was amazing because I was so not up for all that cooking and decorating!

With DS, I was so mopey about it. I've drifted apart from people and felt a bit strange organising my own because I've had one already. I did want something to celebrate this baby, but it just never came about

If I were you I'd probably start organising my own, but ask for help. Ask your mum, sister, friend, whoever to do a bit of cooking, come up with a game, arrive early to help decorate. You can organise your own without having to do everything yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeki View Post
    I started doing my own, but when the invites were sent my friends said it was something they'd love to do for me and they did the rest. They all (4 of them) lived an hour away so they turned up an hour early and put pre-prepared food in the oven, set up our outdoor area and decorated, had games with prizes and everything. All I did was clean before they got there and made cupcakes. It was amazing because I was so not up for all that cooking and decorating!

With DS, I was so mopey about it. I've drifted apart from people and felt a bit strange organising my own because I've had one already. I did want something to celebrate this baby, but it just never came about

If I were you I'd probably start organising my own, but ask for help. Ask your mum, sister, friend, whoever to do a bit of cooking, come up with a game, arrive early to help decorate. You can organise your own without having to do everything yourself.
    I'm the same Teeki, about having a second one. A friend of mine organised a "meet and greet" for her baby and that was great fun. We had an awesome afternoon of just us girls, food, drink etc and cooing over the baby I'm thinking of maybe doing something like that for this baby.

I would little_O, when I realised it was too late for me to have one I felt so sad that there wouldn't be a celebration of this new little life. I've heard so many people saying you "don't" have one except for the first, but bugger them lol. Each new baby deserves their own party I reckon

Mine wasn't a 'baby shower' it was a blesing way. The aim was to surround myseld with women and love and support in preperation for having a baby. Had nothing to do with gifts or baby stuff.
    The point of this is you can have one for subsequent babies =)

I organised my baby showers for DS (which didn't go ahead, as he died two weeks before it was meant to happen) and DD1, then my Mother Blessing with DD2. I'd have loved to pass it off to others, but I have control issues and don't trust people to do things how I want them There's also the fact that no-one else would have offered...