Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think this is a little tacky? Or nice?

Default Do you think this is a little tacky? Or nice?

So I very much want to get married before this baby arrives. No idea why, maybe it's my Catholic upbringing coming out in me And I was thinking, maybe we could just surprise everyone. My 21st is May 24 (I'm due June 15), maybe we could turn my 21st into a surprise wedding? Invite close friends and family, everyone brings a plate, food, laughs, then BOOM, out comes the celebrant. I really like the idea, but I guess it might be a bit tacky, I'm not sure. It just sounds relaxed, and so intimate. No idea where we'd do it, as our flat is tiny, mums isn't huge and although DF's mum has a big nice house, I just would be happy doing it there. Being May idk, maybe a restaurant or something? What do you all think? Lame, cheap, romantic? ANY suggestions and opinions would be awesome. Xox

If you like the idea than its PERFECT!!!

at the end of the day its about you and your partner and no one else!!!!

GO FOR IT!

I love the idea! Do it!!

It's not tacky at all. I would feel very honored to be guest at something like that.
    I say go for it, you're in love, you are going to get married regardless so do the double whammy. It's exciting, it's different and it will be meaningful.

Good luck. Xx

That's the main thing, I want it to be meaningful. DF and I were planning a bigger wedding for Nov next year, so family and friends know it's coming, but like I said, I have this urge to be Mrs Collins (gosh how bland lol) before bubba Collins is here.

I don't think it's tacky at all, if you're surround by the friends and family you love then all the more reason to make it your extra special day. You could always pick a lovely park or picnic spot to hold it? Or will it be too cool in May?

I think it's a lovely idea.

Do what feels right for YOU!

the ONLY downfall to a surprise wedding at your 21st is that some people may decide it's just a birthday, it's for a younger person, they won't come (esp the older generation), whereas they would come to a wedding. so you're left with people missing that might have otherwise been there for your big day... but ultimately it's about you and DP, so you need to decide whether you're happy to have some of those people missing kwim?

Go for it Punky!
    I went to a 50th that ended up being a Wedding as well.
    It's a party and just add an extra cake and celebrant. Ta! Da!

I'm also thinking.... a nice park and you could hire a red carpet for the walkway, which can be rolled out before the celebrant arrives.

I think its a gorgeous idea, but agree with what BG said.
    My cousin did the exact same thing earlier this year, and a lot of people didnt go, thinking they'll head up to see them at the wedding!!!
    As most had to travel, a lot of people missed it by saying no and not attending her "birthday".

Works for famous people - and you guys are gorgeous just like famous people - so why not!!

I don't have heaps of people to invite really, but excellent point BG and PB! Really, I wasn't going to do anything for my 21st, and the only people I would want there are a handful of close friends (not all of them y age) and my mum and brother, so not worried about no shows.

DF is a bit meh about the idea, but he's a bit meh because he wants a $40,000 budget Sooo not happening hehe.

A friend of ours did something similar, said they were having an engagement party that was themed, and everyone had to dress up a certain way..
    then...

BAM out walks a celerant and they got married in a lovely garden..

I think if you like the idea, then you should defs go ahead with it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    Works for famous people - and you guys are gorgeous just like famous people - so why not!!
    Aww! But Lets see how gorgeous mah big fat preggy bum will be at 37ish weeks haha.

If you dont have to worry about people not coming, go for it babe!!

It takes out SO much of the cost, and hassle, and will prob be much more enjoyable for you both!!!!!

Hun,
    This isn't tacky at all, friends of ours did this & it was beautiful! A surprise wedding is so exciting & you have plenty of time to plan it & make it just the way you want it!!! I say go for it!!!

I think it's a nice idea And hopefully DF wont forget the anniversary if it's on your b'day lol

Friends of mine did this, it was supposed to be a 40th birthday, but the big surprise was that the bride didn't know about it beforehand either Seriously, I'd marry a guy who went to all the trouble of organising a surprise anything, let alone a wedding.

I think it sounds lovely!

Friends of mine had their engagement party, all dressed normally, him in a suit, her in a pretty dress. Halfway through the night her niece felt unwell so my friend, her sister & niece disappeared for a little while (& me, I was their photographer). They reappeared & my friend was in her gorgeous wedding dress & shocked the entire group of people there when they realised what was happening. It was beautiful.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast