Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think this is a little tacky? Or nice?

I love the idea that {Sarah} mentioned!!
    The older gen would be more likely to come to that rather than a 21st, and they'd dress alot nicer and be more unlikely to turn up late or get drunk as soon.

I think the whole idea sounds gorgeous to be honest, not tacky, but I know I'd be more likely to turn up to an engagement party than bday if the wedding was scheduled to be nov.

I think it would be fabulous!

Thanks ladies, you've made me even more excited about the idea and given me some things to think about. I love the being 'sick' idea

I love the idea! Wish I had thought of it.

I think it's a lovely idea. My only concern would be leaving it until you're 37weeks. Only because I know how uncomfortable late pregnancy can be. Hopefully you'll be OK but it would be good to enjoy yourself too. Can you schedule something before about 30 weeks?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I agree with tashybabe maybe have an early 21st due to not wanting it late in pregnancy.

Oh yes! Was thinking late April/early May, and just saying we were having it then for those exact reasons...my being too preggo to do much lol!

A late April wedding, that sounds beautiful... Almost as nice as a mid-September wedding

Make it April 29 and you can share the day with Wills and Kate

Just note Easter is late next year - Good Friday is 22 April. In Vic it will be a 5 day weekend including Anzac Day. People may plan to go away that week.

Oh man this is getting weirder and weirder lol. (our similarities that is...)

Not tacky at all!

But if you could do it after the 2nd of may that would be great

Am I invited ? Lol sounds awesome I know a few who have done the engagement wedding thing =]

Quote Originally Posted by *TripleJ* View Post
    Am I invited ?
    :yeahthat: I know this awesome little baby you can use as a ringbearer or flowergirl

Quote Originally Posted by {sarah} View Post
    Friends of mine had their engagement party, all dressed normally, him in a suit, her in a pretty dress. Halfway through the night her niece felt unwell so my friend, her sister & niece disappeared for a little while (& me, I was their photographer). They reappeared & my friend was in her gorgeous wedding dress & shocked the entire group of people there when they realised what was happening. It was beautiful.
    This is what a girl I work with did too. I think it is gorgeous!

My Uncle also did this - had a BBQ and half way through they went and got changed and came out dressed up - that was the first guests knew about it. Even their kids (second marriage for both) knew about it. My Aunt had made the girls beautiful dresses at night after they went to bed so it was a total surprise for them too! They did have people missing but looked at it that those who really cared for them were there.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. We had wanted to elope or do something similar as opposed to the massive hooha that traditional weddings can be. Do whatever feels right for you!

i think it's a great idea! if someone had to travel & said they couldn't make it, you could always let them know if you wanted to make sure they were there - a friend of mine was going to a friend's 'engagement' party that was really her wedding but she told a couple of close friends who had to travel & were going to save the trip for the actual wedding.

Being pregnant you can use the sick line easily Just need some fresh air or something...

Quote Originally Posted by sloane View Post
    i think it's a great idea! if someone had to travel & said they couldn't make it, you could always let them know if you wanted to make sure they were there - a friend of mine was going to a friend's 'engagement' party that was really her wedding but she told a couple of close friends who had to travel & were going to save the trip for the actual wedding.
    Thats what happened to my cousin... when its a 6 hr drive away, and you know you have to do it soon for the "wedding", going a few months beforehand for a "birthday" was out of the question for most... not a matter of "we couldnt be bothered" at all!
    So she did regret missing so many people, and had wished she had at least told certain people so they would be there... A lot of my family is out of town so this would never work for us, also because Ad's dad is a celebrant, so would have to know anyway!!!

But since PZ said she didnt have out of towners, I think its perfect.... I want to see lots of photo's!!!!!!

I think this is a wonderful idea, and I really hope you do it. I've even seen a lovely maternity wedding dress that would really suit you

We went to a surprise wedding a few years back.

It started out as their lunch time engagement party at a winery, finger food, then she went missing with her sister. Next thing we knew a bridal car was coming down the drive. Her dad had stayed behind and the groom changed his shirt somewhere. There had been rumors floating but no one knew for sure what was going on. Her sister was told the night before, she was the bridesmaid. His immediate family knew as they had to travel.

After they were married they continued on for a bit then that night those who could went to a restaurant and we all had a meal together. We paid for our own meals and nobody minded.

The invitations said I think ****tail dress or something like that so we knew to dress up.

It was very nicely done and not at all tacky.

Have fun planning your special day

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast