Thread: FB pages what am I doing wrong???

Default FB pages what am I doing wrong???

I have a FB page....

But NO ONE buys from it... I have heap of stock and nothing...

I have almost 600 "likers" but not one buyer, I have no idea what to do to turn those "likers" into buyers, I am guess most if not all those likers have hidden my store almost as soon as they hit the like button, I dont post much on my page as I dont want to over run peoples FB page with my dribble.. But still they hid me...

I think it would almost be kinder if they didnt like me if they were going to hide my page as that way I would know how many people I really had liking my page...

Anyone got any tips on how I could improve my page?

I sell little girls dresses and ruffles and little bits here and there...

I am so depressed about it all really...

I just dont get how people can bid and pay hundreds of $$$ on some peoples stuff because they have a "name " but no buy from others who have the smae stuff...

I mean the name isnt like it prada its just another ( very very very lucky ) wahm...

Any help would be great thanks
    Last edited by Amity; August 28th, 2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: removing name

Sorry to hear your FB page isn't going as well as you hoped . Definitely post more often to give yourself a presence, one post a day is completely acceptable. Spruik what you do have often so people start recognising you, sound really positive and like you are already successful (what's that saying? "Fake it until you make it" ). Let people know of any new creations you have just made. Ask their opinions so they start to interact with you. It takes some time for it to build up, but if you persevere you will start seeing sales .

Good luck

oh boo you have amber necklaces and I just bought some from amber room and I could of gotten from you.. darnit!!

I am starting a facebook page business too so i'd be interested in hearing what people say.
    I notice some of the more successful pages do "shoutouts" once a week, tagging you in a post so you get a bigger audience, maybe you could make this arrangement with a few other WAHM businesses?

Hi chick Don't take it personally, although I understand how disheartening it can be! These things take time.

Some suggestions...
    First thing that trikes me is your name. It is INCREDIBLY similar to a very well known wahm store. This may have a few results: people confuse you; people wonder why the name is so similar and question your integrity; when you do become successful and more well-known, it may limit your potential.
    Your products looks beautiful too, seems to be a good quality and very pretty, so that is fab! But I think that you need to look at finding something unique that is yours - there are a LOT of ruffle makers, a LOT of taggie makers, and you are competing within a relatively small market with a very large number of already established producers.

Are you a member of the WAHM promotions pages? There are several these days, but your first port of call should be getting on board with MWWAH - Jess does an amazing job promoting and supporting wahm business and has been doing it for several years now. There are some other pages around too - The Mummy Tree, Support a WAHP, etc. They are very easy to find.

Try and get involved on the wahm pages, promote your page on them when you can and get your name out there!

You need a review section on your page - it is a FB app and dead simple to use, get some of your previous customers to write some reviews of your products and service so people have some idea when they go to your page what experience they can expect to have.

You need some info pages - either set up a splash "Welcome" page, or some discussions - about you, terms of sale and how to order - the more information, the better. There are a LOT of WAHM scammers out there and people need to trust you - they do this by having as much info as possible, you need to be an open book.
    Also, people won't ask questions - they are time poor and CBF waiting for the answer, they want to buy something they want the information on a silver platter. It avoids confusion, less back and forth, and quicker sales for you.

Get a CONTACT US tab - people won't email you as readily as they will just click the tab and send through their order. Just easier.

Get onto Melissa at Where to Start Websites and she can do up those things for you, she is fabulous, tell her Alexis sent you.
    She can do logo's etc for you too, which helps with branding, they aren't expensive.

Have you tried markets? There are a LOT of children's markets around these days, and even your local craft markets can be a good place to start. Not huge money spinners to begin with, but in terms of exposure and meeting your community they are invaluable.
    Check out Mathilda's Children's Market - they are on FB and have a website too. There are a few others around, a quick search on FB will yield results.
    Try and get on board with some auctions too, find something you believe in and donate some goods.

The cloth nappy hunt is a good one too, you have missed the boat, for the next one in September, but they are held twice a year and excellent exposure - you will need a website though. Have a look at WAHM Naps store and think about putting a store up there.

Get out and involved in the community!! You will quickly see how very very connected the online mums are, it is quite scary really! Word of mouth is everything and once people know who you are it will be easier.

Anyway, I hope that all helps. Like I said, don't take it personally though - it is business, look at your market, work out what they want and do your best to give it them.

Your ruffles are beautiful I wish my girls were younger. There are a lot of posts from other businesses not you, so definitely post more. Put up photos of the stock you have or that you can do customs and hopefully your page will start to sell.

Thanks for your Help... I have booked into the Inverloch craft market for the cup weekend and the camberwell sunday market on the 11th of Dec... I am going to be buying some christmas fabric this week to make some dresses..

Limeslice I didnt know my name was similer to another wahm... What their name? this name is just a mix of my girls names...

Any name ideas out there? I guess its not too late to change seeing as no one seems to know me anyway

i don't think people are 'hiding' your page, it probably just gets lost if they have 'liked' a few. I get reminded to go check out a page i have 'liked' when i read their status updates, or new photos come up on my feed.

there are some good tips above.

Quote Originally Posted by New Dawn View Post
    Thanks for your Help... I have booked into the Inverloch craft market for the cup weekend and the camberwell sunday market on the 11th of Dec... I am going to be buying some christmas fabric this week to make some dresses..

Limeslice I didnt know my name was similer to another wahm... What their name? this name is just a mix of my girls names...

Any name ideas out there? I guess its not too late to change seeing as no one seems to know me anyway
    Lila & May.

Limeslice has given you some excellent advice.

I think a lot of people do hide pages, I don't get much feedback from any of my status updates either and I have about 1200 likers.

Have you thought about listing on etsy or madeit? It will give you so much more exposure. At the moment the only people who know about your products are your facebok likers who have not hidden your posts. If you list on a handmade site, your listing will show up on search results when people are looking to buy exactly what you have. Madeit also give great exposure if you are lucky enough to be featured in their newsletters and on their front page. Well worth the small listing fees!

PS Could you please PM me the name of your page? I'd love to check it out

Thanks again girls I havent yet done a madeit account I will have to look into that... I am draging my feet a little as much as I want things to improve I dont yet have a sewing space so its hard for me to get things done with 4 winkies running around and having to pack it all up all the time...

LS thanks I will have to check out that page now...

OK see I just checked out that other page with a name very much like mine, and I dont get it her dresses are $35+ postage too as are mine but hers are plain... Mine take AGES for me to make... I dont get why people buy from one place but not from another... its just too confusing... Dont get why my stuff doesnt sell... I have said almost everywhere on my page that I am happy to custom make dresses if there isnt a dress in the right size or colour... its all weird... But I will keep trying I guess... Have to now just brought up big on Christmas fabric to make some patchwork dresses and ruffles

Try not to compare yourself with other businesses. Easier said than done, I know, but your business is very new. Try to see what makes them successful, and use them as inspiration if you can.

I think it all comes down to marketing. I just checked out the other page too, and also her website. Her website looks great, with beautiful photography on the home page which is very important. I noticed her things have been featured in magazines, so I'm guessing she has been in business for a while.

Don't underestimate the importance of photography. I have noticed with my things on madeit, the items I take the time with in getting great photos are the ones that get the most views and are more likely to be featured. I try to get the right lighting (not easy in my house!), the right angle, nice depth of field, and then some post-processing like cropping, colour and contrast adjustment. It takes time but it does make a huge difference.. if someone is going to buy online without being able to see and touch the product the photos are really what they are buying from.

madeit also has a great little forum with a lot of links to some fantastic blogs and articles about marketing, using social media and other small business advice and tips. Well worth checking out when you have some spare time

PS. Just liked your page

Just thought that I would give you my POV.

I am a liker of your page, but only realised that after putting this post and a page post together and figuring it out!
    Anyway, i became a liker in either a shout out from someone else or something similar... I 'liked' your products but wasnt after anything at the time...
    So i have kept your page and when i want something special (say for Christmas when i always get something special for my kids from Santa ) then i will be looking to buy if that makes sense.

I would also agree with PP's in that some of your likers will be liking your page so that you in turn will like theirs back... So the number or 'real' likers is probably less.

BUT keep reminding us that you are here as if something catches my eye before Christmas i will grab it then

Some Facebook businesses are brilliant promoting themselves. Showing off the latest items, talking about what they are making for special orders, posting photos of progress. It is almost like that if you see others buying, then you want too buy too. At least seeing there are other happy customers makes you more confident when buying.

Best of luck!