Thread: Note for my door?

Default Note for my door?

Being a busy mum of 4 I'm finding it hard to co-ordinate my days around business work, kids and housework.

Lately I've been able to grab a bit of time to work when Missy has her morning sleep and C is happy watching a DVD. Prob is that in the last week I've had door knockers (which I can tell to bugger off easy enough) and a couple of drop in visitors right when I've been in the middle of a wonderful creative moment and it throws my mojo off. It seems that no one ever comes to visit except for when I don't want to see anyone

I've decided to try a sign for my door only prob is I'm not sure what to say. I'm thinking if it's too wordy it might not be read. I want something along the lines of:

No door to door sales or religious door knockers. Australia Post or Courier Deliveries excepted.

No drop in visitors please as I am working right now and would rather not be interrupted. Please call me and we can work out a time to catch up properly
    I feel like it is a bit rude towards anyone that might drop in but I've got to do something. Advice please

Why don't you wrap your house in danger danger danger plastic safety type tape or will that have the opposite effect and attract people hoping to see something interesting?

Sorry Sam, that wasn't very helpful. I think your wording is too gentle, it needs to be harsher, more like DO NOT DISTURB. I guess you could just try your sign and see if it works. Goodluck What a sort of unusual but none the less frustrating problem to have.

I have a sign permanently on my doorbell saying "Baby Sleeping, please don't ring doorbell". I've had it on there for 5 years (since DS1 was born) LOL! The reason I kept it is because it seems to keep away salespeople and JW's, etc. I think it's fair what you have written for them

As for drop-in visitors, maybe you could say something like "Hi all, I am currently working and am not available to answer the door. Please call me later and we can work out a time to catch up properly". This way it doesn't make someone feel bad for dropping in and doesn't sound rude (I don't think!).

HTH

I think that's a good note Sam. It's a real bugger when you lose your creative mojo...

I agree with Trish's version and may be a thank you at the end?

I've got a note too on the front window which is next to the door.

I am a lot ruder than you two are though

It says :
    Absolutely NO door to door sellers and/or hawkers.
    You will be reported.
    Thank you.

I hate it though when they come calling at night and the front light isn't on.
    Dh says i should invest in some neon lights.

I'm much ruder to them at night

I've always had the "Please don't knock, baby is sleeping" note on my door from when DS was born. It keeps everyone away LOL.... but I love it. You could just run with that. Friends will not be offended & I'd be suprised if they still nocked. As for Aust post etc they usually just drop off at door or not in box.

Though I do have a "please no junk mail" on my letter box....starting to wonder if those filling it up with crap can read!!!!!

I think the "Shift Worker: Do Not Disturb" signs also keep people away. I've seen quite a few of them around. I know it's not technically correct in your case but it lets people draw their own conclusions... if they think there is the chance you also might be alseep i'm sure they won't get offended... you could tell your friends that because you keep getting disturbed during the day that you have to work late at night so have been needing to nap during the day.

I like the idea of do not disturb sleeping baby or shift worker but then I'll miss my packages I hate having to go down the street for parcels...

How about "Warning: Home business in progress! Please call back later (Auspost & couriers ok)"

How about: Do not disturb. At all. If you're a friend dropping in, go and check the post office and if there's anything for me I'll let you in for a cuppa while you drop it off. Otherwise nick off.

That's my idea. Don't know if you'd want to add charities to your list? In case they say they're not sales people because they're not really selling anything?

DO NOT DISTURB
    Work at home mum is currenty NOT on smoke break
    and leave a little notepad and pencil for messages

Yourve just reminded me to learn to close my gates more often (and not ring you so much)