Thread: Starting up!

Default Starting up!

Heya everyone I'm starting up a photography business I have thought about doing it for a long time but only just had the time and money just recently as I am working part time for a big company and just refused taking on more hours. This is my passion and something I have always been good at doing.

I am also going to be doing invite designing and creating so it's not just a photography job!

It will also be a good thing to take my mind off ttc#1 and get some extra cash in for when hubby and I get our long awaited news! Although I will be continuing the business thru our pregnancy when it happens and also when bubs is born!

I am a bit stuck at the moment about how I'm going to put my name out there! I designed a facebook business page (MZ Photography) and am in the process of designing business cards! - just taking longer than expected - should I do a letterbox drop in my area?

I've got a wedding already booked in April and looking forward to doing that and smaller projects before then!

Looking forward to hearing what you all think! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Melzi19

Good luck with your photography business! How is it going so far? I really want to start one up too, I've got a facebook page so far with what I think are my best photos on there, and I'm also thinking of selling on made it. I'm thinking more along the lines of selling prints, I can't really commit to getting out and doing photo shoots for people. I've got a few things I'm not sure of at the moment, like where to get printing done, matted or not, frame or not.. I just hope to make some money out of doing something I'm passionate about I'd love to hear how you're going with it. Off to visit your fb page now!

Quote Originally Posted by melzi19 View Post

I am a bit stuck at the moment about how I'm going to put my name out there! I designed a facebook business page (MZ Photography) and am in the process of designing business cards! - just taking longer than expected - should I do a letterbox drop in my area?
    I just tried to look up your page but there are quite a few MZ Photography pages on fb, which one is yours?

The one with the sunset as the display pic. Mz photography should be the only name there. When I searched it there was only 1!!

there were 8 just on the first page, wasn't sure which but I found it!

How is it going so far? I'm wanting to do something with my photography, but selling prints will be easier for me.. I'm hoping to make at least a little bit of cash from it. Did you have trouble with working out pricing, finding good printers etc?

No pretty easy actually got a fair few clients booked this year too!

Good luck!

that's fantastic, I was actually hoping to share some start up tips! But anyway, all the best with it.

Start up tips- well I just tried to suggest to as many places or people out there... Facebook is good for that - and of course bb!

My passion is photography so it's not like a job for me! It's my lifestyle!

Offer discounted services
    Buy one get one free shoots!
    Print at places like Harvey Norman or officeworks as they have the best inks. Research around. Different photographers have different needs. Find what those needs are and go from there!

Good luck honey!

Need any more info let me know!

Oh where abouts are you located???

cool thanks! Same for me, it wouldn't be like a job at all. I've only ever done one magazine shoot, that's all in the working photographer sense, apart from that it's just an all consuming hobby.

I was thinking of selling mounted prints online, a bit different to what you are doing. I'm in rural South Australia, there are already some very good photographers in the area doing weddings, kids portraits etc so I really can't compete with them so wanted to do something a bit different and that I could fit into my own time.

Facebook is great, I set up my page a few days ago and gradually getting some likers and feedback.

Very exciting, thank you!