Thread: Comfy, affordable work clothes & shoes

Default Comfy, affordable work clothes & shoes

Where do you buy your work clothes from?
    And what brand shoes are good for a full day in an office? I used to wear colorado's. Are they still as good as they used to be? I need good support, but can't really wear runners lol.

And I need affordable.

Default Re: Comfy, affordable work clothes & shoes

I work in an office, but often go in warehouse. I wear sketchers (Mary Jane style) They are so comfy and fit both needs (closed in, flat and good grip for warehouse, and girly enough to wear in office).

They are expensive, however I have found many sales where they are really well priced.

Depends on what you mean by affordable - as in, will set you up working a 5-day week for the next 2-3 months as cheaply as possible, or to set you up to work for the next 5 years without having to replace too many pieces.

If money is the main problem right now, I would check out some cheaper shops (including those aimed at teenagers) for any blouses, trousers, skirts and dresses that will fit and not blow the budget. I'd say 2-3 dresses, 3-4 blouses, 1 pair trousers and 1-2 skirts. That will last you at least 3 months. Probably until the weather starts to get cold again. Maybe a smart jacket to go with it if you're going to be client-facing.

Trouble is, they won't last much longer because they won't be so well made. But by that point, you'll have some cash to buy the nicer clothes.

Also, look at your wardrobe. You probably have a smart pair of trousers, some smart tops, a couple of nice dresses... enough to last your first week so you can check out what people at work wear. Nothing worse than being forced to spend money only to find you've bought the wrong items.

Shoe-wise, because I have giant man-feet I just take what I can find and hope they will be comfy after a full day. I always keep a spare pair of shoes at work too, in case my shoes start to pinch. That way, I can put shoes on that rub in a different area so my feet aren't aching at the end of the day. (It's not really that bad - but I don't wear the same shoes 2 days running.)

I'm only doing a 12 month traineeship at this point. Part time. So only really need a pair of pants or 2, a couple tops & maybe a skirt or 2.
    I will be looking to fill at least 2 other days in the future too. I have been asked to put my name down for school office relief as well.

I won't be starting til next year, but starting to buy something every few weeks when I can before then, just because that's the only way I will be able to pull it together at this point in the year.

I do have a couple of things, but I've put on weight since I last wore them :/ excuse to lose it maybe? Lol

I just want to look good, but still be comfy. I'm a dag at the best of times.

I get mine from Target and charity shops. I have plain black trousers from Target (2 pairs) and a couple of tops from Target and 4 shirts from charity shops (charity shops round here often have some quite good name shirts) - I have a jacket from Uniqlo.

In the past 18 months I have probably spent about $140 on work clothes (but I am not fashionable, or have any interest in it really, but I am presentable - I do however normally work in male dominated offices where there is no interest in what you wear). I have found trousers from Target $35 last reasonably well - certainly a year.

I always make do with what I have for first week in office to get the lay of the land - also I do find that offices seem to have terrible temperature control and that what you need to wear doesn't always align with the seasons - so I never go and buy much in one go, just add as I go along - I do find here that often the best item in an Australian summer in the office is a jumper!

I am trying to tell myself to wait til I can go op shopping. I live for op shops, but don't have any for hours! I miss them so much lol.

Thanks guys. Target do have some nice stuff. And some of their pants are made long! Big bonus there.

I think I'll wait til I can try shoes on. I really dislike online shoe shopping.

I can vouch for the Target pants too. My DD got some last year when she started nursing and they are still going strong, she got them from the city dressing section, I think they were the ones with a little stretch in them and they are amazing and wash really well, she wears them all the time. As for shoes, depends how comfy you want to be, and how long you want them to last! My DD needed comfy shoes and ended up getting a pair from Airstep, for $85, I think they are usually $99, but as she wears them for every shift, usually 10-12 hours at a time and constantly on her feet, she needed something good. They are still in amazing shape, and she says are really comfy! The other shoes that are really comfy are Diana Ferrari supersoft, I usually go to a factory outlet and can pick up a couple of pairs for $50. They are super comfy. Shirts and tops are a hassle as everything seems to be really clingy and super tight, but it pays to look around! Good luck!!

I have dresses from ezibuy that I've worn through all seasons, winter with a pair of leggings and boots with a long sleeve top underneath and summer with a cardi or jacket depending on if I'm front of house or not. They've worn well.

I always have a cardi or jacket with me in office as like pp said the office never matches outside (especially since my coworker is menopausal).

I always seem to wear through shoes quickly though. I must not lift my feet when I walk or something. Boo.

Oh and I always buy last seasons clothes on sale just like the kids really lol. I'm not trendy lol.

Big W has a great range of office style outfits at really good prices.

Target and rivers are good. Rivers shoes are pretty good too.