Thread: Is this fair?

Default Is this fair?

My mum has been employed by a local primary school for almost 10 years doing before and after school care. Her job was permanent part time. But now there's a new company taking over the program as the principal can't afford/have time to deal with it anymore (mum will get her long service paid out) This new employer is a woman who runs several out of school care programs and a lot has changed. Firstly all staff have been made 'casual'. Hourly rate has increased, but as most of you know, schools have an enormous amount of holidays per year. Pays are all over the place, new woman is blaming the banks. Mum asked for a payslip and they told her they couldn't give her one unless she has an email. So she has made arrangements and is now awaiting her first pay slip via someone else e-mail as it is still unsure exactly what she will be paid. The woman doesn't live local and so there is no one to turn to for mediation. Everything is done online, they have no clue who they are working for. And also they operate 5 days a week and have been given one shirt (which is compulsory) which mum has to wash every night.

I am so angry at this. Poor mum is being totally shafted. She loves this school, the parents, the children. But these conditions are totally unfair IMO. Surely this isn't normal practice? Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: Is this fair?

She cannot be denied a payslip due to not having email. Check out Fair Work:
    Pay slips - Record-keeping - Employers - Employment - Fair Work Ombudsman

Thanks Astrid. I'm so peeved off with dodgy employers.

Am I being irrational in feeling angry?

I have a friend who does the same kind of work as your mum, she doesn't get paid for school holidays either so she has picked up work at a school holiday program so she still has a steady income. Maybe she could look into that kind of work.

I think she is looking into that Tinks, thanks. The only issue was that she will have to travel to random places. Her work is 10 minutes from her house so she's been pretty comfy for a long time. I don't understand why they just don't leave it the way it was. Sure they have to pay mum annual leave, but surely it's worth keeping good staff on. It just really annoys me the greed I have seen with some employers.

I will also add that the fees for parents are going up too, almost doubling actually. One of the girls was sick last week and all staff received a text message stating that they are to give 24 hours notice if they are to be sick and intend on a day off. Also one parent didn't have her son in one afternoon and she was told she would need a doctors certificate! Ridiculous.

Change happens for good and bad. Yes you can get angry, but there is a point where the change is to be accepted or find something different.

I know it is hard not to get worked up by this, but sometime you just have to do what you can (eg find out what is acceptable by contacting Fairwork) and find a way of moving forward in a positive manner.

Follow up on the shirt issue too! I am sure you need to be provided with a minimum number if it is a regulation uniform and you work a certain number of days. That certainly sounds unfair to only be given 1!

I know, how scabby is that

Hi Tasha, I am in the industry and been put through a horrible time recently! I have a lot of insight into how these corporate companies work.

Is there anyway you can privately send me a message through belly belly? I'm using tapatalk and then I might have some advice for your mum xx

I think your feelings are valid and good on you.
    I hope the advice you've given helps you.

One last thing I'd add is ... check the super payments. Don't let her get stiffed on super.

Default Is this fair?

Some of these places are disgusting. They hire young adults who are barely qualified and treat them like crap and in turn they treat the kids like crap. Unfortunately your mum would be seen as indispensable. I know someone currently working for one company and some of the stories give me shudders. Not just based on the treatment of the employees but also the lack of appropriate care for the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being an inquiry into some of these companies.

I hope you get some good advice!

Thanks ladies! For some reason I didn't get any notifications for this thread. I am looking into it further, mum has been there for over 10 years and just changing jobs probably isn't an option. She doesn't want to do long daycare (been there she'd never go back) And after school hours care work is few and far beyond.