Thread: Grant writing experience

Default Grant writing experience

I'm applying for a job in the local Community resource centre.

I've pretty much got all the skills & essential selection criteria, except dealing with management committee. There's not much I can do about that I don't think.

Grant writing experience is only desirable, but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience, who could give me some tips, or know of any web sites, where I could get an idea of how this would work?

Default Re: Grant writing experience

I've written a few grant proposals for work over the years, is that what you are asking? Or are you going to be writing the grants for others to apply for?

No, pretty sure it'd be applying for grants. It only says Grant writing experience desirable, but I assume, since its a community based centre (government access etc), it'd be applying for community grants.

So basically the grant application process involves reading and understanding the guidelines for grant. Gathering quotes, costings, etc for grant application and putting it all together. Lots of wording things well, research, etc involved in that part of it.

Thanks.

The girl there now will be on maternity leave for 12 months (possibly longer), but she's encouraging me to give it a go she was about as experienced as me, if not less when she applied, so I hope I at least have a chance

I've written LOTS of grants. It is all about understanding and responding directly to selection criteria; being concise and specific when answering questions and re-reading to make sure you have responded to all parts of a question; being very particular and detailed with composing budgets; lots of editing; and spending a bit of time researching the body issuing the grant to look for commonalities and strategies you might want link to- guiding principles, goals, mandate, vision statement etc.

Good luck Clover! Sounds like an interesting position.