Thread: Redundancy Pay Calculations - Full time to Part time

Default Redundancy Pay Calculations - Full time to Part time

So here we are again, this time me, DH survived the last round of redundancies by being the last man standing only because of one part of his job role..... Whew! I think we've had our lucky moment and I dont know whats going to happen with my role.

My department seems to be about to undergo major changes, and redundancies are on the cards. My manager has told one of my colleagues (who does the same job as me) to hold off on a car purchase, and we know changes are coming. We have been told we will find out more in May.

Anyway, so my question - how is redundancy pay calculated for part time employees that have been full time for the majority of their tenure. I was full time for 9 years, and have been part time for 5 years. Would my redundancy package be worked out on pro-rating both periods, or is it only worked out based on by current part time situation? I've googled but am getting conflicting info....I think its the second scenario unfortunately but not sure.

Hoping someone knows..... Nai? Anyone else have any expertise or experience with the above?

Default Re: Redundancy Pay Calculations - Full time to Part time

DH says it's worked out based on current role.

Sorry to hear this MN. I also seem to think was the second scenario - (I think that because I seem to remember thinking it was lucky I hadn't managed to get back to work part-time from maternity when I got made redundant). Some employers might do it differently I suppose. If that is the case, does that not then mean that you could theoretically go back full-time now in anticipation of being made redundant and then getting the full-time rate.

Sorry you're going through this MN It's something I'm interested in also, in case of changes at my work when I go back - likely part time. Seems incredibly unfair to work 8 years full time and then not have it considered, to have the whole time worked out at the part time rate. Wysiwyg makes a good point, if it had been 8 years part time and only 6 months full time I can't imagine the business would want to pay the whole lot at the full time rate!

Sorry to hear MN, unfortunately it will be based on what you are currently working, unless you have a very kind employer, or you are working under an EBA / award or workplace agreement that has something more beneficial written into it about redundancy.

(My brain is a bit fuzzy as I'm on mat leave, so someone may correct me on this!)

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I would look at your contract, eba and company policy as well, but yes it will be on current part time hours unless otherwise stated in these.

When I went through this Pre kids peoples redundancy package where based on years of service as well. Not sure if this is the standard but the longer you'd been there the more you got

Wysiwyg I have considered going full time as you suggested but it's a waste of time as it won't get approved. The cost centre manager who would have to approve is the same person who is making the restructuring decisions so it wouldn't get past him.

Thanks everyone, just playing the waiting game now ( and putting some contingency plans in place)

I thought you would have MN, all depends on the organization but at our place some were made redundant but it was deferred due to business needs for around 9 months - so sometimes things aren't that straightforward. All depends really as well as a move like that could tie you to full time then it not happen and you hate it, and then not end up getting paid any redundancy.

For companies that pride themselves on family life balance etc. You would think they should make things more favorable for people who have gone full time to part time really, otherwise is quite a disincentive to part time return for long term employees (especially in many industries which are upheaving now).

I also dont want to risk getting stuck full time if I jump the gun, I value my family time too much, the kids are just too little

Trying to put it out of my mind, we wont know till well after Easter so no point obsessing currently!

So the redundancy is happening, effective from July rolling through to November.
    HR confirmed today that they pro-rata redundancy pay if the years worked are a combo of full and part time, regardless of employment status at the time of redundancy - some good news
    As I could last another 6 or so months we have made the decision for me to go full time to maximize our income before I go. Devastated as DD is not yet 2. But we must protect ourselves in case it takes a while for me to become re-employed

It's been a horrible few days. I have raided the kids Easter stash tonight!

The pro rata is good news - I am glad it happens that way at some companies especially those that promote as being family friendly.