Thread: Working with baby

Default Working with baby

I am not ready to leave my son in anybody else's care for longer than 1-2 hours at a time but would like an income of my own.
    I was wondering what ideas people have for earning some money be it working at home or working somewhere kid friendly (i.e. where you can take your baby in with you - I realise it's probably non existent but worth asking about).
    Also if people could provide experiences of what has worked for them when they wanted to work but not leave baby with anyone.
    I don't want to leave him with anyone until he's at least 18 months (ETA: he's just shy of 8 months now).
    Last edited by Dot Face; July 1st, 2014 at 07:23 PM.

Default Re: Working with baby

Hugs, its hard.
    Would you be interested in working with children? Would doing family day care yourself be an option?

How old is bubs?
    I have recently been lucky enough to pick up a days work with my uncles company doing some bookwork and he is happy for me to have my 5 week old DD with me so that was a great opportunity for me to earn a little bit of money and keep DD with me..
    Do you have any relatives who you could offer your time to?
    There are a lot of families out there who are looking for nannies who would be happy for you to have your child with theirs as well..
    Options are really limited when it comes to keeping your bubs with you at work.. I do find it hard to manage bub and get my work done, it makes it a little more stressful, but it is still quite manageable!

Frangipani Lou I'm not interested in daycare because of the process involved and I already struggle keeping the house in order with a baby let alone a bunch of kids. thank you for the suggestion though.

I edited my post but my son is just shy of 8 months old. That is really kind of your uncle emmalee! Unfortunately a lot of my extended family are slackers and don't need anyone helping around the house anyway. Thanks though .

I am trying to think of things I can do from home but then figure it's probably quite competitive seeing as a lot of people want to stay home and work. Hoping for more ideas here...

Do you have a degree? Without that, it will be hard to warn any real money from home. My DH works from home, running his bookkeeping business. If you have a skill like that to fall back on, or past experience (eg admin work, perhaps you could do word processing or editing from home) that would help. Otherwise, there's not really much for earning a decent income.

Decent income isn't really what I'm after, just some side money. I have a bachelor's in psychology but I believe that's fairly useless even if I were not to work from home!

In hindsight, nursing is the way to go to fit in with kids - the health lines, or casual weekend/night work. But without a time machine it is a pretty hard thing to change now .

I am applying for a job in fast food because it is the only thing I can think of where I can work a few hours in the evenings so DH will be home to watch the kids.

What about doing some data entry? I have heard of mums doing that to earn extra money

If money isn't a big issue, then maybe some sort of party planning type thing? If you choose something child friendly you'd even be able able to take bub with you to parties etc.

I work as a disability support worker, and have been able to have my kids around. Part of my job is assisting with food prep/meals and housework, and have brought my kids to the evening shift (with the clients parent approval).
    My client LOVES "helping out" with my kids (She has younger siblings and is happy to play games and do craft with my LOs)