Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all creative ones! HELP!

Default Calling all creative ones! HELP!

I'm hoping I can use this thread to bounce ideas off you all!

I'm reading a new book which has given me new inspiration to write. I started writing earlier this year and developed a really good plot but soon realised I was out of my depth and writing about something I didn't know too much about (i.e. a location I hadn't visited and an experience I didn't have a good enough connection with). Now I've got a new idea based around one character and I'm inspired!

Would love your input while I develop my characters and the location (which I believe is a character in itself) and also your critisms and comments on various ideas.

At this stage this is RAW. I only thought of it last night and was so excited that I'm up at 6am to character develop

My heroine is a BRAT. A spoilt 20 year old from a wealthy family who moves to the city to "become someone". She lives off a trust fund and works only for show - until she either makes it or marries someone who has. I have a friend who lives exactly like this - and I'm going to quietly base this around her.

So... firstly - I need a NAME!!

Think Elle from Neighbours as she will look/act and be somewhat like this. Names I am tossing around are "preppy" names...

Lola (although this is the character in the book which gave me the idea)
    Elodie
    Coco (would probably use this as a nn - would need a full name)
    Adele
    Blair (perhaps too much like Gossip Girls??)
    Morgan
    Sloane
    Charlotte
    Chelsea

Would love some more ideas as I'm not 100% on any of these!
    Last edited by Aimz; November 26th, 2008 at 05:52 AM.

Um how about:

Arabella
    Tiffany
    Susan
    Lily
    Annabelle
    Krysta
    Josephine
    Jacinta

no guys!! you know for those freaky encounters!!! lol

The only thing that I would say about the names is that they may depend on where the story is set, some of your names sound a little "american" to me eg lola and sloane. Also, I was trying to think of 20 yr olds whos names I know IYKWIM. Eg Coco may be a bit new?
    Maybe Morgan/Charlotte/ Chelsea or Anabelle.
    Good Luck, I love reading,
    Shell
    (Ps if you are going to write about real places, I recon you need to know what you are talking about, so maybe keep pen/paper in car so that If you happen to pass by inspirational place, you can get some details. Also, good excuse for research holiday YAY)

Hmmmm.... Cant think of any off the top of my head but i'll be back!

The story will be set in Melbourne and surrounding areas.

My brother's girlfriend is from a very wealthy family in Brighton (also quite well known) so I've had the chance to meet many of her friends and stay at their beach houses in Portsea etc. Some of the apartments and houses I have seen absolutely BLOW my mind! So I have plenty of accessible places to research. The theme of the story will be around these types of people and places. I agree that some of the names might sound "American" and I want to steer clear of that.

Should I keep it simple like Lauren or something similar?

How about:

Casuarina (nn Cassie)
    Prudence
    Antoinette
    Margeux

remember Melb is super multi-cultural, so you could use a more exotic name too!

Thanks for the great suggestions Sneaky! I think you're right on the multi-cultural thing..

I've been searching through friend lists on Facebook...

Luciana (nn Lucy)
    Fenella
    Alexia
    Fleur
    Chloe

Amy I think that if she is from a rich/ wealthy family then she should have a long name, maybe with a couple of middle names. I think her first name should be something that can be shortened so she has her proper name that is used by parents etc, and a nickname used by her friends. This might show the different sides to her personality as well.

You're right Ali.. once I pick a first name I will have to find middle names to go with it!!!! Oh and then the surname... I think I've got that one covered. Names I like for the reason you mentioned (can be shortened) are...

Luciana (Lucy)
    Alexis (Lexi, Lex)
    Annabelle (Anna or Belle)
    Josephine (Joey)
    Charlotte (Charli)

Would LOVE some more suggestions though!!

OK, well the "spooner" types you're talking about stereotypically tend to have nicknames, like:

Pippa (for Phillipa)
    Sukie (Susan or Suzanna)
    Liss (Melissa)
    Ol (Olivia)
    Bee (Beatrice, etc)

I know the name "Lola" is a nn for Dolores but has anyone heard of it as a nn for Penelope? I just found it on a website and love the idea of having a Penelope with the name Lola for short. The website also said it can be a nn for Charlotte.

Would that be too confusing?

Penny is usually the nn for Penelope. I'm not sure Lola fits. Lola might do for Louise, Lorraine, Laura, etc.

My SIL is named Penelope and we call her Penny but I thought Lola might just make it a bit different..

What about nicknames for Charlotte??

Lola would work for Charlotte. Otherwise, Lot, Lottie, Lola, Charlie, Shars, Chardy (like Chardonnay)....

Didnt the girls in SATC just call Charlotte Char?

I do like Tiffany, as you could make up a bit about her parents met a " Tiffanys " in NYC and this is why she got the name or something like that... But I dont think a snobby chick would shorten there name at all I think they would want everyone to say there full name... So that way if a someone called her Tiff she would say " no actully my name is Tiffany and this is what you should call me "

Hehe thanks for your input!

She's not actually a snob or she won't be.. she lives in a world full of them but is eager to find her own way and break free. In the beginning she is a spoilt brat but as the story develops she finds her independence. Does that make sense?

I'm still thinking Lola.. but need a longer first name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast