Thread: HELP - 50 words mini romance for library comp :P

Question HELP - 50 words mini romance for library comp :P

Library has a comp running at the moment for a short piece of writing, must be 50 words exactly, story must be a mini romance - set in the world of liraries or books and complete in itself.

So i've been playing and am by no means actually any good at it BUT what do you think.. criticism needed....

He's a self confessed bookworm, she's the latest IT girl.
    What was she doing here, in his library?
    He pointed and joked, "Mills and Boon are THAT way".
    He heard her mutter to herself ?never judge a book by it's cover?.
    He knew then it was love at first site.

It's REALLY hard to keep to exactly 50 words, thinking about it now it's pretty crap.. but oh well i gave it a shot.. i might enter it anyway and see how i go.. what do you lovely ppl's think?

Love it! You've done well. One suggestion - maybe italicise 'THAT', instead of capping. I know you want the emphasis but it kind of hangs out like a skyscraper in such a short piece LOL. If it's a librarian judging they will *love* the pointing reference, it's a kind of librarian in-joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    Love it! You've done well. One suggestion - maybe italicise 'THAT', instead of capping. I know you want the emphasis but it kind of hangs out like a skyscraper in such a short piece LOL. If it's a librarian judging they will *love* the pointing reference, it's a kind of librarian in-joke.
    Thanks hun, also they give you a form to write it down on, do you think it's fine to print it out and staple to the form or should i handwrite it?

Oops and it should be SIGHT not SITE right... lol at yes the internet does confuse us

I would hand write it best you can and include some cute little illustrations if it's within your capability. It's the details that will win it or not. for eg, eldest DD won a comp, it was draw yourself ala Diary of a wimpy kid, she drew herself holding a copy of the book. winner!

Thanks hun, your a legend, might just jot it down pop it in and hope for the best.. i don't expect to win but it made my brain work a little

I just got a call from the library and guess what.............................................. .......

I WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had over 40 entries over the shire and they picked mine!
    I still can't believe it, i won a $75 Big W voucher.
    Last edited by ~ Zarava Flutterby ~; February 25th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.

Woo hoo! That is awesome!!! I thought it was pretty good!

wow well done! Grats

See, I told you it was good!...and that it would appeal to the librariany sense of humour!! Massive congratulations!

Now, are you going to spend any of your voucher on...BOOKS?

See, I told you it was good!...and that it would appeal to the librariany sense of humour!! Massive congratulations!

Now, are you going to spend any of your voucher on...BOOKS?
    I was thinking i might buy a pair of pants and top and then check out the book section, not that i need any more all of mine are in the roof.

In the roof??!

Yeah we don't have any space and DP wanted me to get rid of them, so their boxed and bagged in the roof... damn i miss them.
    Hopefully no possoms or mice have found their way in, maybe i should use my voucher to buy plastic tubs

Why don't you get them down, sort through and pick your very faves out, then sell the rest to buy a lovely bookcase for your bestest most favorites? Books really don't store well over a long period of time, and in the roof they will be exposed to extremes of temp, I'd hate you to get them down in a couple of years and they're wrecked

Why don't you get them down, sort through and pick your very faves out, then sell the rest to buy a lovely bookcase for your bestest most favorites? Books really don't store well over a long period of time, and in the roof they will be exposed to extremes of temp, I'd hate you to get them down in a couple of years and they're wrecked
    I would but we already have a bookshelf we don't use in case the kids get them, maybe i should clean off the top 2 shelves and keep some of my faves though, i have most of the enid blyton set i want to keep for my girls plus quite a few others... hmmmmm now you got me thinking, i miss reading