Thread: I want to write

Default I want to write

I am going to write a book. Its one of the few things on my bucket list.

I used to love writing, especially at school. Did the usual dark teen angst poems. I guess I could probably tick my brain over to lighter things now. When I had to write monthly articles for an association I was part of, my articles would always be too long because I had lots to say.

Just had a thought! Just because I have lots to say, it doesn't mean that people necessarily want to listen (or in this case read)....

I don't want to write a novel, I don't have a story in mind. I guess it would fall in to the category of cookbook ("oh, here we go" you probably all think), but I just want to make a record of the things from the few women in my family. From my Great-Aunt, to my Grandmother and my Mum. A collection of family recipes, traditions (HA!- we don't have any, but some ideas maybe), down to earth living, things like that. ?
    Chances are I will never be published, but I'm not concerned about that. Well, not commercially, but there is nothing to stop me getting it printed. I can be my own publisher, can't I? The book isn't really for anyone else but me and my family if they are interested in my thoughts. Perhaps I'll get shy and embarrassed and keep it secret?

Anyway. Rambling on there. Guess I just wanted to tell my little secret. Am I being silly? Nah.... Am I? Am I setting myself up for a disappointment if I don't commit to this? Thanks for all your opinions friends.

why is it silly??

look at it as a way of creating a written set of memories for your great grandkids - all the anecdotal stuff from your life (and your family) to help them!

go for it!

Thanks BG. That made me feel more confident, and that its a good idea. I think I wanted to do it mainly because there has been very little (material or knowledge) passed down and I wanted to give my children an idea of living less materially than the world is leaning towards, that living simply isn't a new idea (with climate change, etc), and that kind of stuff. I know my Mum used to cook things that I always wanted to know how to make, so I want to include things like that for my kids.

sounds like a great idea - you could make it into almost anything if oyu wanted to do it just for your kids - and leave blank bits for them to add stuff. include things like your fave foods as a kid and the recipes for those, their fave foods and recipes. a brief family tree kinda thing....

been thinking similar myself - how to include my favourite "things" in some sort of compilation for DD. i've been thinking i might start a fave foods journal for her - with pics of her and the stuff she most enjoys at certain points - with pics and recipes and things

I think it's a lovely idea and I'm sure as you work on it over a period of time, it will evolve and become very valuable personally & to your family. Go for it!!!

I think it is a wonderful idea!!!!! Go for it!!!!!!!

BG, what a great idea to leave blank sections!

OMG, Marydean, does you avvy shimmer?

Thanks all of you such overwhelming, positive support!

I still just can't decide what to start writing it in. I have a lot of recipes and notes on my pc, but want to write them out longhand. Do you think it would be better written on loose sheets of paper and then put into plastic pockets, ....... just had a great idea! Well, great right now! Written on individual pieces of paper, bind together with some of those metal rings so I can add more pages, keep things in order, etc with a heavy card front and back cover, and slip them into a leather journal cover! Then it will look special all the time, even while there's not much in it, and it will look different to all my work folders (no plastic!) and much more special! What do you think???? Imagine reading this old compilation by your Grandmother in a weathered leather cover... what magic and love from her would it contain....

SUCH a great idea!!
    You could decorate each page scrapbook style too! Definitely do it on loose sheets, or even card? Coz each generation can add to it over the years!
    Omg you have me inspired!

The best writing is when you do it for yourself.

I wrote a 50,000 word beginnings of a novel. Handed it around to my friends, they all enjoyed it and because they all enjoyed it, I kept writing. Went and did a writing course at TAFE, started to think commercially, and 10 years after the TAFE course, I haven't touched it.

So write for yourself. You are the greatest audience!

Fantastic idea!! Definitely go for it!! xx

I love it.... reserve me a copy!!!! I'm a cookbook fanatic!

A lot of authors self-publish these days. Most of the big publishing houses have a "Self publish" section.

I want to write so badly - i actually just wrote a blog post on this very topic!

I often wonder if i'd go fiction or non-fiction.. but tend to always lead back to fiction.

I say go for it - what have you got to lose - and as the others have said here... do it for yourself.. do it because you want to. It's a lovely idea.

I just discovered "Writing WA" which has a list of loads of resources for writers in WA. I found it after discovering "writiing queesnland" on another site so I am sure there'll be something in your state. It has lots of advice about how to go about writing etc as well as classes in the area.
    I think my treat to myself in coming times will be a "Life writing" class!
    Good luck!