Thread: I've written a story - now what?

Default I've written a story - now what?

Well, after having had lots of ideas for novels and short stories, etc for years, occassionally doing some scribbling, very rarely finishing something but being too embarrassed to show anyone, I have written and finished a short story (well, its about 30 pages - so not sure if that coutns as "short"). I am now wondering what to do with it. I have no idea if its any good or anything, but I was wondering - what happens with short stories? Is there somewhere you can send them to try and get them published? Are there competitions? Does genre matter? (My story was supposed to be sci-fi, but turned more into a romance/coming of age story set in the future...)

Okay, now I'm thinking its probably complete crap anyway... but then complete crap gets published sometimes. Argh, I don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

I think there are a lot of competitions around for short stories perhaps Google and see what comes up, and check you local newspaper or library and even see if there is a writing club

Can you get someone to proof read it for you as well, as I know when I have written long things I need someone else to look at it with fresh eyes or not look at it for a while and go back and re-read it to pick up all though errors that your mind misses and spell check doesn't get right

Good Luck with it and Congratualtions on getting it finished, I bet it was exciting to finish it off, a great accomplishment!

Go to your local library and get a copy of the lastest "australian writers marketplace". It's updated every year & lists all the details of all the publishers in Australia, details what kind of manuscripts they accept, how to submit, etc. Usually they latest version is kept on reserve but you can usually borrow the previous year vrsions. Well done finishing a piece you should be proud

Thanks for your replies ladies. I think I will get someone to proof read it, then off to the library to look up the publishers's info.

I have no idea but i wanted to come in & say well done!
    Will be keen to hear how you go congrats

Out of interest, Starfish, how many words? And what kind of genre / subject matter is it?

Starfish, first step is to leave it lie for a bit, then cast an editing eye over it .

Next, if you want to get it (or others) published, you are going to need to do a little bit of research about what the marketplace is (for this and other stories). Sometimes it helps to have a clearer idea of your market before you write (eg some magazines will not accept stories on particular themes because they have been done to death, That's Life is a good example of that). There is a website called The Australian Writers Marketplace (google) and you may be able to find older paper copies of the Writer's Marketplace at your local library. It might also be worth checking out the Sydney Writers Centre - they will have tips etc on their website and they also run short courses, there could be one about how to get your material published (you need to know about writing cover letters etc). There are also lots of opportunities to get published online, either by uploading to a website or by being selected for inclusion in a ezine.

HTH

Thanks for your replies everyone.

MD - I will check out the places you suggested. I mainly write for myself, i.e. this is the first time that I've even considered looking at getting anthing published, so I will have a look at what types of themes get published where, etc.

Schmickers - Word count is 16,850. Genre - I'm not sure, that's part of my problem. "Coming of age romance set in the future", is probably the best way to describe it...

Fleur - thank you.

I finally got the story printed out yesterday so will get DH to read it and take it from there...

Well done!

I have always wondered how to get stuff published!

Good luck!

Have you done Anything with your story yet?