Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My little writing woo hoo!

Default My little writing woo hoo!

it's not often at the moment that i feel like i've achieved something worthwhile. But i've started sharing some of my poetry, and have found that i actually have some talent!

i've shared a few poems in here in the past with some news about being published, but i thought i'd post it all in one place!!

firstly, i've had THREE poems published in three seperate poetry collections this year. i initially submitted one poem, TORN, to a poetry website. they had a competition where, if you got people to vote for your poem, you could win a small prize (and i'm talking ipod shuffle here, so really small prize!), but i figured i'd get it out there and see how i went. well, it never made it to that competition as the officials decided to include it in a book instead - woo hoo!

so, lots of emails from them, and then out of the blue, they ask me to submit another poem, for another book, based on my previous work. it was for a book of the best poems and poets of 2007 as submitted to the international society of poetry. noice! so off i goes to submit another one

after a couple of months, i decided to submit another one for ipod - and again, it doesn't make it, ends up in a book instead! (i gave up on the ipod and went and got a mobile with music player in it!!)

anyhow, onto my woo hoo bit!!

after submitting that first poem, i was invited to become a member of the International Society of Poets, received an "Editor's Choise Award" (ranked in top 10% of poems submitted on the site in previous 12 months), invited to become a Poet Fellow of Noble House, and a few months ago, was invited to attend a conference in Vegas to present a poem and potentially win $20k plus a publishing contract. i couldn't go (money is usually an issue isn't it?), so thought that was it. but it wasn't. i couldn't be in the comp for the dollars if i wasn't there (fair enough), but i could still submit a poem for reading. i figured i'd send one in, and last week, i received a medallion and crystal trophy for achievements in poetry! woo hoo!!

all of this in six months!

DH is now on my case to compile all my writing into a book and publish it myself. it's pretty exxy, and i know it would be for us alone, but i think i will do it now. might do a photo book with stuff from our garden and ccombine my poems with images from the garden

thanks for reading!

BG
    Last edited by briggsy's girl; August 31st, 2008 at 02:25 PM.

WOW that is truely Fantastic - Congrats!! - its so nice to be recognised for something that you obviously enjoy and more so others are enjoying also - keep it up especially when you find it so rewarding

Thats AWESOME BG! Well done!!

What great news!! Well done hun.

Always knew you were a star writer BG! Well done honey - you are one very talented woman!

thanks ladies! should probably go show DH the trophy now he's home... and maybe share with my blood family not just my BB one!

Oh that is awesome! You should DEFINITELY publish! Congratulations

Well done BG! I think its a fantastic idea to have images of your garden as well. How beautiful

You go girl
    see not just a pretty face - lol
    Congrats again hon- well done

whoohoo BG!! That's fantastic. I agree - you should definitely publish your own collection of work.

Ben01 Guest

Congrats BG!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Definitely publish. If you can't afford to publish on paper, what about an eBook? I could help you compile it.

Congratulations BG that is totally awesome. Well done.

Regards,
    Dianne

thanks everyone!

DH was mighty impressed, and is now impatient for us to get the study back together properly so we can display it all. i don't want to "hide" it as such, but my poetry has come about from some pretty difficult times, and i don't want awards to be visible so that people are asking me to read iykwim?

Mick, i'd love to do an ebook to share with others plus one in print. DH is useless with computers, so he wants a hard copy that he can physically read. i'm a bit the same to be honest - plus everything is deeply personal for us and for our future kidlets, so would love to have something i can show them later on kwim? would definitely be up for some lessons on creating an ebook though!

ooh, thought i'd just add to this - have now been advised i've won an award as one of 2007's best poets AND i've been asked to submit a poem for publishing by NOBLE HOUSE! have to go through what i've got and decide which one to publish - it won't be printed til next year though, so have a month or so to decide

Wow BG!! I missed this thread earlier, congrats!!!!

BG that is fantastic! I have read your poems in the section before and they are truely special. You are one talented chickadee!!

Well done

Oh wow BG, congrats! I completely missed this thread from the start.
    Where will your poem be published?

Nic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast