Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo 2010 !!!

Default NaNoWriMo 2010 !!!

Howdy ladies

Is anyone else planning on doing nanowrimo this year?

If you are, let me know, and we can encourage each other

If you have no idea what it is, let me know, and I will elaborate ...

Ciao!!!

I was thinking of it.....but I can't work out how much time it will take. Do you have any idea Peanutter?

looks interesting
    not a chance in hell i'd have the time between work and family and moving - will be interested to see how you go though

what I did last time, was type any old crap for 10 minutes, and see how many words I got written, to see roughly how long it would take me to storm 50K words, without letting myself do ANY editing, rewriting, etc ...

to get the whole 50K done, you need to write 1667 words per day.

Or, 1K per weekday, 3.5K per weekend day.

Last time I did it, my grandmother died, and I didn't have a chance to keep up with writing, and ended up writing 17K words in the final 28 hours!! Sleep? who needs sleep ...

But generally speaking, I find you can write 2000 rough words, or 1000 polished words per hour.

If it was practical, I would do my writing on the train to and from work, but I might try to do it while expressing at work.

Otherwise, bubba goes to bed around 7-8pm these days, and so I can write over dinner. DH will support that, because he knows I haven't been able to dedicate any serious time to my writing since last nanowrimo!!!

In terms of time, it is a push, but the benefit I find is huge. Last time, I wrote about 40% of my novel, and have 3 other ideas for books (at the moment, I'm deciding which to do).

And then I'm planning on dedicating February to finishing them, and setting another month to editing.

My long term plan is to have the books polished and ready to send to a third party for opinion by the end of next year. Long way away, but achievable with a full time job, small child, recovering from birth complications and other committments!!

I love writing! I'm so excited

ladies and gentlewriters of all shapes and sizes - nano is fast approaching.

but fear not! it is still t-5, so you have time my lovely possums to sharpen your pencils if not your wits, dust off your erasers, and calculate how much coffee and how many tim tams you will need to sustain you through your nanowrimo blitz!!

who's with me??

Ohhhh I've definitely had Nanowrimo on my radar for 2 years now. First Nov we were leading up to a *huge* interstate move & then I developed gallstone attacks...then last year I was in the lead up to having a mastectomy and still totally chemo-addled...not sure that I've got it in me this year, I still need extra rest & sleep. But then I think - there will always be some sort of excuse of why not to, sometimes you just need to commit to things.

Does it matter whether you go fiction or non-fiction?

ETA - and isn't the temptation to just pour forth 50K words of crappola just to get it done?

Can you elaborate for me Peanutter? Haven't heard of this before. Ta

ah, marydean, what a few years! I don't know how you've had time or energy to do anything at all ...

I agree that there's always something, but hopefully any further roadblocks are positive, pleasurable, intended events!

Fiction or non-fiction is fine - just needs to be something new! I think the intention is that it's fiction, but I know plenty of people who've done a non fic

I'm deciding between writing the second short novel of a trillogy I've got in mind (it was supposed to be all one book, but 50,000 words in from last nano, I'm maybe 1/3 of the way there!) or something totally new ... or writing a travel book, based on my post-high-school trip ... decisions decisions!

And as far as the crappola goes - absolutely!! I know how many times I've had to write something tricky, and as soon as I've got something on the page, I can fix it! But getting on the page *at all* sometimes can only be done with a looming deadline (self set or otherwise) and a *huge* brain vomit to start.

and PacRakMG - the general premise of NaNoWriMo (national novel writer's month) is that in November, you write a new 50,000 word book. That's it. There's no prize other than the honour and glory (and you get an electronic certificate, ooh lah lah!) but it's a great kick up the bum to get cracking on your writing, if you've been lacking motivation to get writing lately

more info can be found on the nano website at www dot nanowrimo dot org

come and play!

Ahh, thanks Peanutter. I've been dabbling again in writing after years of being too busy and I'm enjoying it again because I'm putting no pressure on myself. Its weird because I used to work best under pressure. So maybe I'll skip this November one, finish what I've started, and then do the November one in '11.

I've been making excuses all year ... it's nano or bust for me this year!

I think the deadline will work well for me

I was just thinking I need to get writing again, so this could be the push I need!

oooh, I just checked out the web site. I had never heard of NaNo before, I have been living under a rock obviously. I like it! Sounds awesome!

Damn, I have just taken on a consultancy, work from home, blardy blah boring thing and I should be spending my spare time doing that (it does pay the bills after all!).
    Oh, but this intrigues me and inspires me. I am interested to hear how it goes for you Peanutter, and hope you keep us updated on your progress. It looks like next year for me!

Thanks for sharing this peanutter! It looks like fun and I think I might give it a go!

I'm thinking about doing it. I've done it before but never finished it! Would looove to finish one year.

ive always dreamed of doing it..but terrified of it...

But I might just do it this year...as long as you girls can help motivate me, (and ill try to do the same to you)

One of the things on my bucket list is to be published... I've tried writing novels before, so have a few random ideas..

you just write dont you? and write and write and write, in terms of editing and making it better you can do after the month hey..it main key is just to have the 50k words right?

terrified is a great start!! it is the guzzly juice of motivation.

yes, you just write and write and write.

you only need to write 1,667 words per day to make that. And they don't have to be good words. they just have to be there!!

so get thee to a computer, with a vat of coffee (or tea, water, chai, whatever) with some scrap paper and a pen for any necessary mind mapping, and get ready!

1,667 words is more achievable than it sounds. if you can write 30 words a minute (and I'd bet most of you can type between 45 and 80 words per minute!) then you'll pump out 1,800 words per hour. just force yourself not to "fix" as you go, and you'll be sweet.

my plan is to write 50,000 words in November, take December off, finish the book in January, proof it in February, ask two friends to read it in March, and send it to a publisher or agent in June.

and my plan is *not* what I did last time, when I got all caught up with work and famliy matters and I ended up having to write the last 17,000 words between 8pm on 29 November and midnight on 30 November.

but I did it

come to the dark side! we have cookies!

and we definately can encourage one another after all, what are women if not natural story tellers?

Damn you and your motivational pushes!!!!

*goes and checks out the website*

Some thinking and pencil chewing going on here. Not sure if I have 50k worth...not without drawing on small chunks of stuff that I've previously scribbled down... Not sure if that counts.

But it's not like I can grow a moustache during November instead

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast