Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rollcall: writers on BB

Thanks for bumping the thread. I had completely forgotten about it.

Since I last posted in this thread I have written three short stories and finished an initial draft of a sci-fi novel (I handwrite everything, so am currently in the process of typing it all out, all 500+ pages - very time consuming...)

I have also started a blog, but have not made many entries. I think this is because I prefer to handwrite, so my thoughts rarely get transferred on to the computer...

Have any of you heard of a book called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron? I think it is brilliant and have found it to be a great help in getting over my creative writing blocks.

Funny you should mention The Artist's Way. I've been a Julia Cameron fan for ages now (I read bits of the artists way about 15 years ago), and I bought a fantastic book two weeks ago called The Writing Diet, scoffed that down in 2 sittings. Since then I've been trying to do the morning pages (ok, not always in the mornings ) and I'm finding it enormously rewarding. I just know in my heart that it will be a very powerful tool for me, not just in my writing, but right across my life. BTW if anyone reading this is interested, the chapter about morning pages is on Cameron's website, well worth a read.

Starfish, wow your output has really taken off! Do you type it all out as you've written the first draft, or do you tweak it so the typed copy is actually a second draft? If not, you could always pay someone cash in hand to type it up for you. Any plans to publish?

Yeddi, I love your statement "I consider myself a writer". That's one of my pet topics at the moment: how does one get to claim the "writer" title. Success? Publication? Intent? Innate quality? or just sheer quantity of words produced? LOL Not everyone who dances calls themselves a dancer, kwim? But I too "consider myself a writer" and I couldn't even tell you why, except that my world is right when I'm writing. I guess the near-miss (or near-hit) with the comp will forever be fuel for the tank. You got there once, you can do it again. BTW, what are you studying?

I'm finishing off my History/Literature degree with a dip Ed. I was going to start a Naturopathy qualification but thought I should finish this first as I'd started it so I had a qualification in case something happened to DH (and that logic still stands) because my years in the military are untransferable anywhere except one government department that only works on shift work which would be hard to manage as a single mum if that did happen.

Good thing though, I have lots of fodder for writing. I really prefer fantasy, sci-fi and historical fiction.

I like to journal, well now it is called Blogging in the high tech world in which we live. I still journal for my children but have recently started blogging. Not on any set topic but just random stuff from drinking coffee to my thoughts on things during the day.

I have an idea for a book that I would like to follow through with but with three little ones I don't really have the time to go off and do a course so to speak. Can anyone offer any good websites or online courses for how to go about writing a book, making contacts in that world etc?

Have a great day!
    xxxxx

Best way to make contacts and write a book would be through your local writers association. The most important thing in writing is critical feedback from people who don't hold back.

Thanks for that. Will look into it!

I'm considering starting journalling, to get my thoughts out a little more ... my whole world is consumed periodically by my birth injuries, but I've made a complaint now and so am hopeful that there will be a resolution soon, and then I can start moving on ... I'm wondering whether writing and painting about it will help, and will go from there ...

But long term, I plan on finishing my books, and I also want to write a series of tween books.

Not about vampires.

Yeah mine has no vampires, either, peanutter
    Though it does seem like an easy way to make a buck (under a suitably neo-emo-girly-goth pseudonym, of course)

Peanutter, I have a passionate belief in the healing power of expression. I have no doubt that writing and painting will bring you insight and healing. I've been experiment with Julia Cameron's morning pages, and even though I'm not doing it daily, adn usually not first thing either, to be enormously beneficial. It's a little more stream of consciousness than the way I normally write my journal, and there is value in this.

I am a writer. I've written a 70,000 word novel and recorded an audio version, but since having a child I only managed to self publish and then forget about it.

I've worked as a technical writer for local council and published a few short stories.

I was also a singer in a band and I loved loved loved the creative process of writing lyrics to music. What a brilliant process.

I would love to earn a living as a writer but I suffer from a debilitating fear of rejection and freeze in the face of taking the step to actually publish my work.

I want to write an article about the condition I had during my recent pregnancy and publish it in a pregnancy and birth publication, but can't even move myself to approach a proposal. Writing, however, has never been an issue for me. If I'm given a writing task I can motivate myself and write with ease.

Sent from my Desire HD

I need to finish writing my books.

yes, books.

Just popped in to have a read. Still have my idea I want to do......when I get time.....still journaling and have given blogging the flick! lol

Vicks
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123