Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rollcall: writers on BB

Default Rollcall: writers on BB

Do you consider yourself a writer? Of prose, poetry, stories, blogs, articles, zines...anything?

Do you write for publication, or just for yourself?

How and when do you write, do you spend the time on it that you'd like?

Me I'm about to go to bed, bit just subscribing so I can post back tomorrow at some stage, xox

I am. Mostly of the poetic variety (freeform thought stylings).

I used to write very unedited and then I became interested in the way I wrote and spent a stage with a lot of rhyming. I found that PND took away my natural interest because I was usually triggered to write by emotion and those were stolen in my darker days.

I hope to get back into it soon. I have some in this section that i have shared previously. Will come back and link my favourites.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...alexander.html
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...-july-1st.html
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; February 22nd, 2010 at 11:35 PM.

PZ looking forward to hearing about it.

Dragon - I was browsing thru the section before I posted this and noticed you had put up some threads earlier on...thought I'd go back and read them one evening when I've got a bit of time.

AFM - well I've written stuff a long time ago (ah that makes me feel old). Have always felt like a writer but don't have much to show for it, except dabblings & a few courses (good feedback). But recently I've caught onto the idea that perhaps I could fund myself a new sexy lil netbook if I can get a few things published so I'm brewing some ideas at the moment.

I feel like I'm getting to an age where I'm a little more 'seasoned' in terms of life experience, so what I write now is likely to be less introspective than some of my earlier stuff.

I'm joining a local writers group - dunno if it's any good - they're all about a million years old & retired, but they might have some interesting things to say.
    Last edited by AnyDream; August 13th, 2015 at 02:08 PM.

Ok I'm back When I was in year 10 I joined a small theatre troupe with my school (in a stage-management capacity) and ended up leaving to pursue it in a full time capacity. I ended up co-writing a play with the director that was eventually taken overseas and performed across the u.k. and u.s. Amazing experience, and I have the added (and extremely ****y) bonus of telling people that I co-writing a play that was performed on Broadway...never mind that it was a tuesday and wednesday afternoon matinee, or that I didn't end up actually going I found script writing really challenging, and also an excellent way to integrate some of the unfinished poems/prose I had jotted down over the years. If you would like I could post some, I never really considered doing it before. Dragon, your writing is beautiful!
    Last edited by PumpkinZulu; May 2nd, 2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added more.

I know its a bit different, but I like to think of myself as a songwriter.

I haven't written much at all since having my girls, but thats mainly because I usually write with a piano and I don't have room to set one up anymore!

I'd love to do something with my songs, but I don't think this is the season to do it.

I want to write a book, but don't have the time for it unfortunately.

Instead, I have to write lots of emails for work (doesn't everyone!), Presidential reports for playgroup, and 4wd club stuff. Some creative selling type things, but not very often. So, I try to enjoy what I have to write now....

I used to love writing creatively at school, but my then bf quashed that passion.

Hmmm...i don't know if i'd call myself a writer, but i do LOVE to attempt it - i've written a few poems (rhyming) and started on a kind of "my life" book of what i went through in childhood with my mums illness and again later in life with my dad's illnesses....hmmm...i did post one poem on here which i wrote for mum, took me a long while to be able to finish it (i started writing it when i was 15 and im 32 now!) but i was (relatively) happy with it as it summed up how i felt

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...-poem-mum.html

I write short stories when I get the motivation - subscribing so I can post after DS has fallen asleep

i've posted a couple of poems i've written in the writers section. i have a lot of stuff tumbling through my head but don't have the time to put it on paper anymore now that DD is here. maybe when i'm back at work and have to do something while i'm on lunch break or something - i got a lot of it out. have a lot of time at night when i want to write, but the light in the bedroom disturbs DD and DH - and if i leave the bedroom i just get distracted by other stuff

I write.. Lots. Well, a whole heap more before I became pregnant with Boo. Its fiction and more for me at this stage. I can do journalism and critique, but I prefer fiction.

ETA: Thats what happens when you try and type with people talking at you. You type random stuff and then hit submit!

Anyway, I practice on "RPG" style websites. I have one of my own somewhere on the interwebs and one of the set ups I created shall be making its way into the pages of literary novel soon enough - when I have the time.

A core part of my job is writing - but very dry corporatey stuff.

Or was, I'm going to change career.

So if I'm not writing professionally, then that may give me more passion to write more creatively. I've been known to write truly awful poetry after a few wines so hopefully I can improve on that. I do find that if I haven't written something that amuses me in a while, I start getting really toey and end up composing emails, Facebook entries, something/anything in my head so in that sense I "need" to write.

I like to think of myself as one... but feel like a terrible fraud because i haven't written anything creative in years

Quote Originally Posted by thepixie View Post
    I like to think of myself as one... but feel like a terrible fraud because i haven't written anything creative in years
    :yeahthat:

I haven't written since Shel and I got together. I guess I had more time on my hands back then LOL. I'd love to get back into it. All I write these days are assignments

I would love to call myself a writer. In my younger days I have written the following:
    - 2 fiction novels (1 was 130 pages of handwriting when I was 15 - one of my friends read it and liked it but unfortunately it got burned in a house fire a few years later. The other one is terrible and will remain in the dark depths of my old hard drive for all time.)
    - 1 play that was performed at a festival in New Zealand (great audience turnout, one terrible review)
    - PIlot for a sitcom plus several more episodes (submitted to TVNZ, but surprise surprise, not picked up)
    - several short films
    - several very bad songs
    - a column for a quartely work newsletter, which I also edited during the time that I worked there
    - lots of unfinished short stories

I am currently working on what began as a short story but now seems to be turning into a novel (20 pages and the plot is still not going anywhere ). I try to write each morning on the train to work. My main problem at the moment is that no matter what genre I start writing, it always seems to turn into romance/erotica (maybe I'm just not getting enough in real life...).

Hi

Thought I would post on this thread as I am writing a novella for a major uni project. It's my first attempt at *long* fiction, and has been torturous to write: +++anxiety. But I'm very close to finishing a first draft, and will present it to an audience in two weeks. I really hope to be able to keep working on it through rewrite/revision stage, and do more writing in the future.

Cheers!

Some fantastic and interesting responses to this thread - I have read through it a few different times and really enjoyed the diversity of responses.

Spiceoflife - wow what a challenge. Do you mind me asking what type of course you're doing at Uni?

As a journalism student I spent a lot of my time writing (read as -banging my head on the keyboard) Nothing published as yet but give it time.....currently doing the research for one on homebirth and finding it very hard to stay objective!
    I constantly correct peoples grammar, speech and spelling so perhaps a career in editing is just up my alley?

I write album reviews for work, which is why I love my job! Is there anything better than getting paid to listen to music?

In my spare time I blog...music, pop culture and birth/breastfeeding/gentle parenting being my topics of choice. One day I will write the story of how I came to be a mama, it's one hell of a story!

My hubby is a seasoned songwriter/musician and blogs about politics.
    Needless to say our house is filled with lots of paper with half formed ideas on it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast