... 23456 ...

thread: Babies Born ~ July 2012 #1

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Glad to hear things are going better with the feeding Melissa. Things are fine here, just two wake up's overnight... down at 10.30 pm, awake at 1.30 and then 5. So not an awful first night at home.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Mar 2008
    Vic

How's everyone going?

Maruschke - Glad you had a good first night

Mel - Good that she's starting to settle easier for you.

DD2 is one week old today!

We're just cruising at the moment. She's a placid baby and now DD1 is getting better, things are easier. DH is back at work today so flying solo and it's actually a pretty typical day. I managed a big walk around the block, admittedly at snails pace, but it is so gorgeous outside here today it was too nice to be cooped up. We're on 3-4 hourly feeds which is good. Overnight we were up at 2.30, fed for an hour, then she slept until 6.30 so can't complain about that! And I'm loving the Olympics, at least there is something to watch that's interesting enough to keep me awake during the feeds!

Anyway, short and sweet, she's just woken up from her nap so better go! Hope all is well with everyone

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Happy 1 week Miss M Sounds like you had a night almost identical to ours PRMG hehehehe, Love the pic you sent me today, its beautiful to see your two DDs together, what pretty girls you make xx

Char - How's that gorgeous man of yours going?

Mel - Freaky that you had Annika on your list to, isn't it just the prettiest of names? DH and I struggled to find a girls name, we had a few boys names we both liked, but Annika was the only one we really both liked. DD is definitely an Annika, it suits her perfectly! How are you going with the feeding? If you are still struggling with the sore/bleeding nipples, I highly recommend 'Multi-Mum Compresses' if you can get them (Ash, might be handy for you too?), they have healed my nipples so quickly as DD had trashed them. Also, I was going to recommend a chiro for your unsettled DD, I have had many friends swear by them for seemingly colicky/unsettled babies.

Maruschke - I was thinking of you yesterday, glad your first night was good, and so happy you have your family all together. Do you realise we are in the same Baby Group for both Kids - DS was technically born in April 09, but due in May 09 (which is the baby thread I stayed with as I'd built such a strong bond with the other Mums).

Ash
    - I am struggling to keep the house in order, normally it is very very tidy, but with DH home, a new baby and DS not getting as much 1on1 time with me, it's hard to keep it under control. I am doing a swoop of the place a number of times a day to keep things under control. Also as DD is a bit spewy, my washing seems to have doubled - one little baby can sure create a lot of laundry LOL

Lise - Yay for Childcare. DS is going two days which will be good for all of us, he loves it though so I think he would be disappointed if I took him out, but it will also give me some special time with DD (just like I had with DS when he was new). Hope you catch up on some sleep babe

Going ok here, had a newborn photo shoot today which was exhausting LOL. We ran out of time so I will drop by the photographers house tomorrow (She is a good friend) to get a few more as Anni was unsettled towards the end. I was planning a PJ day for us all tomorrow but forgot the cleaner is coming - DOH, we REALLY need the house cleaned so I will go and camp at Mum's while the cleaner is here Then we have various things happening on Thursday and our Hospital outpatient check up for Anni on Friday so Saturday is PJ day - no visitors, no appts, nothing, just US time!!

Had a night similar to PRMG last night - fed at 10, went to bed then fed at 2 (a massive hour long feed while I too watched the Olympics hehehe) and then awake at 630am for the next feed, my little girl has been very kind to me so far, love the sleepy newborn stage. I am feeling a bit tired, we walked around the shops yesterday for a few hours as had many errands to do, I was totally buggered after. Must remember to be kinder to myself, I just gave birth!! We took Annika into Baileys Childcare centre on Monday when we dropped him off and he proudly showed everyone his little sister Funnily I picked Bailey up from child care just after 3pm on the day Annika was born, so the carers were quite amazed that 2 hours later I gave birth! Hahahaha, it seems our birth experience is quite a good story to tell But to be honest, we are just as amazed how quickly it all happened, just as much as everyone else is. My nipples are pretty much healed, the Multi-Mum Compresses have done the trick, thank god as it was so painful (and I did not like seeing my little girl vomiting up blood as a result). Today they feel a lot more 'toughened up' so to speak. Our attachment has improved too which helped as DD was damaging them again most feeds.

Anyway, best go and organise some dinner, my freezer full of dinners is just awesome right now

Nay
    x

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Nay - yep, how cool hey? I like the age gap in our kids . By the way, we are having a newborn shoot tomorrow! What props did you use? I'm struggling to think of anything.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

The Photographer supplied everything, she had lots of wraps blankets in different colours/textures and lots of hats/headbands etc. However we didn't use a heap, Mostly we stuck to neutrals and natural fibres and propped DD in a cane basket we had with a white knitted blanket that was just devine! DH is a guitarist, and we used that (one of his guitars) as a prop too LOL

If you look up Robyn McGufficke Photography on FB you can see our first photo on her page

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Hmm it lost my post. That was a beautiful photo . Captured all the joy of having a newborn. And Annika is gorgeous!

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

Hello! I'm a late addition to this group. I see some familiar faces and some I havent met yet. I can't believe it's actually been a whole week since my daughter was born. 2.30pm on 24/7/12.I haven't had a chance to write up a birth story but here's the short version:

First pregnancy and baby conceived on first cycle of clomid after 9 months TTC with PCOS. EDD was 3/8. I had a really good pregnancy with no real issues, worked till 35 weeks and bub engaged shortly after. My blood pressure then started creeping up and by 38+ weeks my OB decided it was time for me to be induced. Not exactly something I was happy about after planning and preparing to try to have an active and natural labour as much as possible. In the end I had AROM, an epidural even before contractions were started with the drip, total labour only 7 hours (and really only 5 hours contractions were established), vaginal delivery with Ventouse at the end and a small second degree tear.

My little one was born healthy with apgars 8 & 9 and I got to lift her up onto my chest myself which was amazing. She stayed there for about an hour and had her first feed. We stayed in the private hospital for 2 nights then moved to the hospital's hotel stay program for another 2 nights before coming home on Saturday.

I think I'm still unpacking how the week has gone but it was quite a struggle with very unsettled sleepless nights and feeling run off our feet with visitors and hospital checks during the days. I had problems with attachment initially and by the time I realised and had a chance to see a lactation consultant briefly on day 3 my nipples were already quite damaged. I then ended up getting some advice from a midwife to rest my nipples and express and supplement feed day 4 that I wish in hindsight I hadn't followed. But I'm sure it was well intentioned and I was pretty distraught and constantly teary by that stage so I can understand where she was coming from. It meant we went home Saturday with a really confused plan: back on the breast, expressing but also bottle supplementing which I was really angry about having ever agreed to. Thanks to some wonderful support from a family friend/lactation consultant (and also family support to help me catch up on sleep) things are finally back on track now. My nipples are still sore but on the way to healing, attachment issues fixed, milk finally in today and no bottles or formula for two days. DD seems to be feeding well so hopefully there was not too much harm done with that brief period of bottle feeding. She's still firmly nocturnal but has had less unsettled time tonight than yesterday so hopefully a belly full of breast milk is helping her calm down.

I haven't had a chance to read far back on this thread but I'll try to catch up soon. Now I better make the most of this baby's sleep!

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Welcome k4t, a fellow august belly buddy! I hope your bub learns night is for sleeping really quickly! Well done on weaning off the bottle .

Gotta run, photographer coming...

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Thanks M - how did your shoot go today? I went to our photographers house for a few hours today as Annika was unsettled yesterday and we missed a few shots we wanted yesterday. Today she was in sleepy newborn bliss and got some amazing ones, each time I see a new shot she puts on her FB page I cry!!

k4t - Welcome and congrats on your beautiful baby girl. I'll add you to our 'arrivals' list Well done on the breastfeeding babe, its very hard to establish at first, sounds like you are doing well now and have some great support.

Having a nice peaceful afternoon, I sent DH off to see the new batman movie, DS is enjoying his kindy day, DD is asleep and the house is clean as the cleaner was here today, and its quiet!! It's nice as I was quite feeling like I needed a moment to myself LOL

May 2007
    Otago, NZ

Welcome to our little group, k4t! Great that things are in the up for you now, long may it last

M - hope your shoot went well, those tiny bubba photos are so precious. We had some done on Friday and I cried when I saw them - love love love them

N - second the teariness at photos. Hmmmm def gonna look into multi mum here, my nips really are taking a hammering.

One of these days, I will open my laptop and do a decent post but till then, I'm going from memory, sorry about everyone I keep missing. Big day for us tomorrow, heading to town for tongue tie check, lunch with mum and sister, hearing tests, lactation consult and show off to workmates, it's gonna be busy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2011

Maruschke - I hope your photo session went well.

We jumped on the photo band wagon today too. It took much longer than I expected but our photographer was so fantastic and patient. I think the best ones will all be of us with DD in arms. She just didn't want to settle on her own with any amount of feeding and reassurance but was out like a light as soon as I put her skin to skin on my chest.

Naomi - that sounds like such a blissful afternoon!

Melissa - what a marathon day you have planned. I'm exhausted just hearing about it!

DD is still all over the place in terms of sleeps/timing etc but all the occasions when she's been up overnight she has at least been easy to settle now which is all I ask for. (After photos today she slept almost 5 hours straight so I'm not expecting much sleep tonight poor exhausted thing!) I have some serious work to do retraining my body to have day naps. I didn't manage any daytime sleep the last two days and will be regretting it in an hour or two. She has been feeding like a champ today and my nipples look almost normal again. Tomorrow is our first MCHN visit and our first trip out to dinner with work colleagues so it will be a full day.

May 2007
    Otago, NZ

My poor wee girls both had tongue tie snipped yesterday

Hopefully, now we can get our bf issues sorted once and for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Oh Massive Hugs Mel

I saw Nat's news on FB, yay for another bubba Exciting!!!

cmkm - If you are lurking, we are all thinking of you sweet girl xx

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

k4t - our photography session also took much longer than expected, but they are so worth it . I think she was here 2.5 hours!

Melissa - FX your BF issues are sorted now. I hope it wasn't too distressing to watch.

Congrats to Nat! And cmkm.... I hope you have a babe in arms already .

Add CKJ on Facebook

Dec 2011
    Central Coast NSW

No baby here. Hiding from the world after a meltdown yesterday.

Promise I will be back when this kid gets out

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Hide away, u need to look after u. Hugs and remember we are here if you need to pop in and vent x x

Sep 2011

Melissa - hope your little girls tongues are all recovered soon.

I've had a teary day again after MCHN visit. The nurse was ok but DD hasn't gained weight - lost 4g compared to her discharge weight on Saturday. I keep telling myself it's no big deal and not surprising given how long my milk has taken but it's still really shaken my confidence and made me anxious all day about whether she's still hungry after feeds, should I be expressing more, is she peeing enough etc. So we'll be heading in on Monday for another weigh. The nurse did say DD looked like she's attaching and feeding well now so at least that's something.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

K4t - i think it's quite normal for a newborn to take up to 2 weeks to regain their birth weight so try not to worry x x

Annika and I are experiencing a 4.5 hr cluster feeding frenzy, she is currently latched on and I am exhausted, I had planned on bedtime an hour ago!!!

... 23456 ...