... 678910 ...

thread: Babies Born ~ March 2012 #2

Aug 2011

Sam poos just about every change. I was really hoping for a baby who poos once every 10 days and not the 10 poos every day, but oh well.

lct there is no problems with a poo every two days, especially if bubs is going through a growth spurt, as they use the milk so efficiently that there is no poo left over.

I haven't tried any carriers yet, I was hoping to get my SIL's hug-a-bug sling, but she sent it to my parents house at the start of my other SIL's pregnancy and now my parents can't find it.

Feb 2009

I haven't used a sling yet, but it's on my to-buy list.

I've got an Ergo and have borrowed a Close Carrier and a hug-a-bub. I am in love with the close carrier atm whereas DH prefers the Ergo.

Aug 2011
    Melbourne

Ok great, sounds like the poo situation is 'normal' then. Guess we are lucky so few nasty nappies, but certainly plenty of wet ones.

Re Baba sling, I also have an ergo with the newborn insert, but am having trouble fitting it correctly. I know a few of you use them - any hints? Are you able to get them on ok by yourself? Would prefer to use it over a sling but ease of use is a consideration.

Zilly - I hope they find it for you, the HABs sound great.

Elocin, the grobag is awesome, what a steal! We still have to wrap Yves in a cotton prison like Willow, but will def look into the sleep sacks once his startle reflex goes away and he can have his arms free.

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

no sling here either - i use a close carrier which i love. im considering buying a beco as well which is more like an ergo.

poos - we get a couple a day - maybe 3. every couple of days is fine, you might find it's even longer as they grow up. ds used to go a week sometimes - which is great for 6 days but messy on the 7th!!

we use grobags - ds went into one at 10 weeks & dd is already in one. mostly because im the world's worst swaddler!

skye - those whoopie pies looked so good! i would kill (well, maybe not kill just go to great lengths!) for one right now

buffy - sounds like miss w had a good weekend away!

sorry for the lack of personals again - i promise i do read the thread just dont get on a pc very often so im limited to what i can remember!

if anyone isnt fb friends & would like to be, please pm me

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 2008
    Adelaide

poos- the longest H has gone is 5 days but some days she can produce 4+

slings- sorry never mastered the sling, tried a ring sling but I was too unco. Love my close carried and baby hawk though

Jan 2009
    pakenham, victoria

A usually poos every 5 days

Feb 2009

LCT, I've only worn the Ergo a couple of times. I find it quite fiddly and C doesn't seem to love it when I wear it. I think because DH is taller and longer in the torso, it seems to work better.

I have worn it around the house with great success, but it took me a good 10 minutes to get it on properly and for C to stop squirming and relax.

I'm hoping once the infant insert is gone, it will work better for me.

Aug 2011
    Melbourne

No sooner do I ask, than 'duuuuuude', a sloppy greenie appears

Jul 2005
    Sydney

lol Lisa
    Ryker poos 4-8 times a day all my boys have been big pooers lucky me!!

Feb 2009

No sooner do I ask, than 'duuuuuude', a sloppy greenie appears

Jun 2011

We use a minimonkey sling here, 90% of the time DD falls asleep in it. Also gives me a free hand. Although I do get a sore back if I carry for over an hour & a half. I'm thinking of getting a baby bjorn.... Hopefully that will be better on the ol back.

Poo's are frequent here. I'd say 5-8 a day. They come out with some fart ferocity, put a man to shame.

I purchased a grow bag before DD was born but haven't used it yet due to the startle reflex aswell.

HELP ME PLEASE!!! Having sleep dramas here (as I'm sure we all are) and I don't know how to help her, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing wrong. During the day I CANNOT get her to sleep out of my arms. I will walk, rock, massage, hold her for an hour past the point where she goes limp, her breathing is easy and she doesn't make a sound or movement I lay her down and keep my hand on her tummy or make sure she is wrapped but within 5-10 mins she is fully awake & I have to start all over again. She will sleep happily in our arms or on our chest for at least an hour, usually more though. The only time she lays down on her own is when we put her down for the night, she will then usually do a 4-5hour stint of sleep (which is awesome) then wakes around 2/3am and often doesn't go back to sleep untill 5/6am ish and that is in my arms. She seems to have a lot of wind at this time of the morning and let's a couple of forceful poo's out. Could it be wind or reflux that stops her from laying down on her own? People I speak to like my family say 'why don't you try her on formula', which isn't helpful to me as I want to breast feed and I don't think that's the answer at all!

Sorry for the me post I just really need some advise as I'm starting to feel pretty exhausted.

On a good note - DD has found her hand (yes only her right one) - she often goes cross eyed while moving her hand and fingers slowly around. She loves staring at patterns, a moving ceiling fan, shadows. Oh oh and starting to baby talk, just a tiny bit - so freakin cute. Lots more smiles now too! How is everyone's bubba's going, have you noticed any changes and developments?

Sent from my iPhone... Probably while feeding our poppet.

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

rosey - if you're looking at a carrier like the babt.bjorn can i suggedt checking out a carrier like an ergo or beco. im quite new to baby wearing but there's some interesting info around on how the bb doesnt support babies as well as dome other carriers (something to do with how their legs dangle).

as for sleep - my ds was the same & i only managed to get him to nap consistently off me when he was about 5-6 months. he would sometimes sleep in the pram if we went for a walk & sometimes in a bassinet but mostly on me. i tried to fight it but then decided to go with the flow & read books, catch up on tv shows etc. it does get easier imo when they start having more regular naps & they're more happy to play on the floor etc. - then you're not chained to the couch as much! and nothing to do with bfing - all to do with wanting to be close to mum. some ppl call the first 3 months the 4th tri as baby gets used to life on the outside.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 2009

Rosey, C is exactly the same during the day! He will stay asleep when I put him down at night, but during the day... No chance.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the old 'if at first you don't succeed, try, try again'. I try putting him in the bassinet or just down on the couch... Sometimes he stays asleep for 5 minutes, sometimes 45 minutes. But his best, deepest sleep is on me.

I don't know what to do either x

Feb 2009

Oh oh!!!!! I got my baby kid in my avvy!!!!!

Jun 2011

Phew....good to hear other bubs are clingy aswell. Thanks so much for reassuring me. I do love my snuggles but would like just a little bit of me time. I'm such a stress head.... I am trying to just go with it lol

Sloane thanks for the info, lucky I didn't buy a baby bjorn yet. I'll check out those other carriers. Which one do you use?

Elocin love seeing bubs in your avi. How do you get an avi?

Sent from my iPhone... Probably while feeding our poppet.

Jul 2010
    Canberra

zilly, had to laugh at you being chased by Sam's hands and her sneaking a sneaky drink.

Elocin, nice score on the Grobag - what a bargain! Loving your new avvy how was your day with the 'rents?

Peanutter, great news that it's not glandular and you're starting to feel a bit better. How's life back at work?

lct, awesome sleeps for Dr Yves-il. Fab that BF has been improving too, I think we all have good days and bad days with it. RE: packing, take everything! I had a little suitcase for W's stuff, tons of onesies, wraps, spew rags, carriers and heaps of nappies. We borrowed my SIL's clip-in pram bassinette and sat it on the suitcase next to our bed, which she seemed to love, as we now use it for all her sleeps at home too. Took blankets, linen and a few other things that smelt like me/home, to help her feel comfy. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, I'd love to visit Daylesford. RE: poop, usually 1-2 a day but sometimes up to 4 a day. This morning I got 4 in 1 (definitely a number 3, ew!). RE: carrier, I use both an Ergo (with insert) and a Hug-a-Bub. I find the Ergo more structured and secure, and W seems to settle quicker in it as she's jammed up nice and tight. It also seems to block vision and sound a bit better. It's good for longer trips and walks. I like the Hug-a-Bub at home and for shorter trips, I find it a bit fiddly to get on when we're out. It is much easier to take with you though as you can shove it in the nappy bag.

Sloane, another crap swaddler here. Thank goodness for velcro! Hope your little one is doing well.

Rosey, sorry the sleep has gone downhill hon. Day sleeps are frustrating here too. If she does well in the sling, would you consider using that for those sleeps as well? I know you need some hands-free time but that might be a good interim solution...? Otherwise you could try putting something of yours in her bed so can smell you; and you could warm up her blankets before you put her down...? Just ideas, I have a naughty day sleeper too so I'm not much help. How exciting about your DD's changes - gosh they grow fast. W is smiling loads more, even when we pick her up from a nap (previously very crabby) and is getting quite vocal. She's also starting to get good head control, especially during tummy time with Dad.

Evening to the other ladies

AFM: last night as per usual, good 3-4 hour sleeps from 5:00pm - 3:00am and then up every 1.5-2 hours. Does anyone have any tips on how I can push those long sleeps later so she goes longer overnight? Should I be waking her more frequently in the late arvo and evening, or just go with it for now? I'm getting on average about five hours (broken) sleep, which isn't too bad, but gosh I'd love to see those big blocks happen overnight. I know they will one day, perhaps I just need to go with the flow . Otherwise our gorgeous girl is well. We hit up Costco with my SIL today for the first time and I had to restrain myself from buying Hersheys everything. Had to keep interrupting W's sleeps (car, carrier) so she only had short ones and was a total crank by the time we got home, poor poppet. She's catching up now though. A quiet day planned for tomorrow, then six-week check and shots on Thursday. Not looking forward to that, I'm sure I'll blubber like a big wuss.

Nov 2008

Hi girls! I'm having trouble keeping up Never seem to have time to get to the computer and hate posting from my phone. I'm laying down in bed feeding DD and hoping that she'll go to sleep for the night but we seem to have the opposite problem, she goes to bed late, between 10 and 12 and then sleeps in til around 9 waking every couple of hours for a feed.

Rosey I wouldn't recommend a baby bjorn, I had one with DD1 and it wasn't good for my back, ended up getting an Ergo and can still use it for DD1 as it goes up to 20kg. Although i think baby bjorn brought out a new carrier with a support band around the waist but i don't know anyone who's tried it. Carried her home from the shops on the weekend because she fell off her scooter, she's about 17kg I think. I didn't bother getting a double pram cause I figure between the pram and the ergo we've got both bases covered. I use my ring sling at home during the day though, Milana has her naps either in the sling or the swing. I prefer to have the weight evenly distributed when I go walking so use the ergo and she doesn't need the infant insert.

We have poos here probably 6 times a day. She poked in the shower the other day and it was so gross. Explosive poo all over me and the walls of the shower!

I'm going to they and come back for personals later, can't see anyone's posts and my memory is shocking at the moment. I am doing 1 subject for Uni this semester and have an assignment due and exam in the next 3 weeks so things are pretty busy here. I also went to a dance class last night and boxercise tonight so getting back into it. Came home to a screaming baby and frustrated DF though, even though I fed her just before I left she is still feeding fairly frequently. Will have to express before I go next time so DF can keep her happy.
    Last edited by Fuzzywuzzy; May 8th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.

Oct 2007
    Caroline Springs

Rosey, like Sloane mentioned, there are a lot of carriers that are much better than the baby bjorn. the baby bjorn basically hangs a baby from there crotch and is bad for their hips. Other carriers support them under their bottom and correctly position their legs so that it is good for their hips. I love the hugabub and all my kids have loved it as well. A close carrier is very similar to a hugabub. I also have an ergo carrier but both the kids and I find it uncomfortable until they are about 6 months old. After that I love it! You can also use it as a backpackcarrier to carry a kid on your back once they are old enough.

As for sleeping, sounds like your little miss has a great survival instinct. A human baby's instinct tells them that if they are not being held by an adult they are at risk from predators so they should cry to be picked up by a parent. Although while it's nice to know your baby's instincts are good, it would be nice if the forgot them from time to time and would happily sleep alone. My son was like your daughter and didn't like to sleep out of arms. He would never sleep more than one 45 minute sleep cycle at a time. He's just gone 3 years old and has been an awesome sleeper since he was 19 months old. We never did anything to force him and whilst it took awhile to get there,he finally turned into the great sleeper he is now all by himself

... 678910 ...