... 4567816 ...

thread: Babies Born ~ September 2007 #71

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Hanging in there. TBH I am so tired and drained from my pitiful sleep that I can't even deal with his **** atm. I am having enough trouble keeping my own head above water.
    It has also caused problems between DH and I, apparently I am not supportive enough, too dismissive etc. But to his family they seem to think that he will be suicidal forever more, while I am seeing a bad reaction to a medication that he shouldn't have been on. I don't see it happening again (well, no more chance than there has always been).

Anyway, Yay for E's reading She starts at the start of next year?

MP, hope you have a great weekend at the spa!

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Arte: definitely time to look after yourself. Step away completely if you have to. He has his parents to do the immediate worrying for now. Sounds harsh, but there are times when it is best for all to get some distance and recovery time.

MD: i have no idea who digger the dog is lol! I need to get up to date! Leila is desperate to read but isnt there yet by a long shot.

AFM: all good here (Finally!). Miss M is starting to settle back in. she is still very needy but is getting used to Miss L being at 4 year old kinder and we have now got a mattress lying beside Miss Ls bed for her and that seems to be working. does make me think that a bunk bed might not work?? I might need to get a trundle bed instead????
    I am also on orders to do no heavy lifting etc (bad prelabour on and off) but with Miss M the way she is, it is so hard to not pick her up...yep, she falls under the category of heavy lifting lol.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

Arte, that is really ****ful, but NONE of your fault. Seriously, what do his family expect you to do? Do they think he will magically get better if you leave? Sounds like the guy is a douche wrapped up in a parcel of mental illness and he sees you as an easy target to put all the blame on. It wouldn't matter what you do, I don't think anything will change. Honestly I think you would be wasting your time in trying to sort this out. I do agree with you that it's bad meds to blame.

Cally, I bet she looks so cute dancing around. Soon she will be waving you off at the door.

Oh I am totally seeing the readiness for school too. In our newsletter on Monday there was an expression of interest form for kindy students for next year and I filled it out, but A wanted to take it into the front office when we were there yesterday, so I gave it to him and he marched up to the counter, put it down and declared "I'm coming to school!" It was hilarious. The only worry I have with him is hoping that he doesn't swear or call some kid a jackass if they don't do what he wants.

Jan 2006
    by the beach,NSW

DD thinks she can read Hop on Pop, but she's just got a good memory after having it read night after night after night.... DH has some flash cards which she can read some of. She'd love to be starting school this term if she could rather than wait another 6 months.

Arte - hope you get some good sleep.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Trill, LOL at A swearing and calling kids a jackass! Thankfully my kids haven't learned the art of swearing (yet!!).

Cass, hope the prelabour eases off.

I had yesterday afternoon off, bought myself a book I have been wanting for ages, did a bit of study at the library and then went out for a peaceful dinner and read my book. It was lovely

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

Arte, more Sounds like you need them. Glad you a bit of time to yourself. What book did you get?

Arte, yep E starts at the end of next year. She had her 4 year old health check thingo the other day, it was quite funny actually. The nurse asked her to draw a picture and cut along a wavy line, and she sat down and did this fabulously ornate picture of a flower, with sun, sky, clouds overhead, all beautifully coloured in, outlined and decorated with patterns in contrasting colours. Then she cut the wavy line with absolute precision, which can't have been easy because the scissors were really
    stiff. The nurse took one look and said, "she's quite the artist, isn't she?" PMSL cos that's what I've been saying since she was about 6 months old!

Trill, LOL at A slapping his kindy form down on the desk like that. I think there's probably plenty of swearing already going on at kindy/school, usually courtesy of kids with older siblings LOL. We get a bit of "poopoohead" and silly/rude songs coming home from FDC. She's not game to say it to an actual person, it's more the thrill of saying something naughty followed by giggles.

Cally, I was totes jeally of your FB status the other day that mentioned sunlight!!! We've had some gorgeous sunshine here... all on days when I'm working/required to be indoors. I've been a bit depressed lately and I think it might be a bit lack-of-sunshine-related.

Cass, it is with a heavy heart I say this, but I'm afraid you probably missed the Digger reference because I'm so ooooooold. They are old phonetic readers from the 60s/70s with words like Pam Sam ran can and cat rat mat and, of course, Look! LOL.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

MD, I just got the new Dark Tower book. It is an extra inserted in the middle of a finished series, sooo good to see some old friends again
    E sounds like a great artist!

Bit of excitement here in town today - one of the volcanos is erupting. It is not the one we live at the bottom of, but one about 10km as the crow flies (but 30min drive). It just went out of the blue! It has grumbled a bit lately but they didn't expect it to go off. The prevailing wind goes the other way so we probably won't be affected, but I might drive up some time later in the week to have a sticky beak - W will love to see the side blown off the mountain

Aug 2006

Arte, I heard about the NZ volcano, but I wasn't going to mention it here because of all the other times I've yabbered on about volcanos erupting when they haven't . Then today it actually is going off! That is pretty exciting, did they have any warning it was gonna blow?

ETA - we want to see photos, please!
    Last edited by AnyDream; August 7th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

holy cow Arte!! that is pretty exciting (especially where there is no risk to you and yours lol).

MD: yep. have NO idea on the digger thang...and i really tried to see if the memory was there, but nup
    Miss L needs to learn some artistic finesse from Miss E...she is a total smash and slash kinda kid with the old scissors. i have fear for whatever it is she is cutting hahaha.

AFM: started looking for birthday pressies for the girls yesterday. Miss L will get a bike! pretty exciting now that she has taught herself to ride...and impressive considering she doesnt own a bike hahaha. and searching ebay for a cosy coupe for Miss M.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

In a burst of organisation, I have totally prepared for all the birthdays

MD, they knew it was grumbling a bit, but they do that now and then. They didn't know it was going to blow though. Now they have no idea if it was a once off or the start of something bigger or if it is just going to rumble away for the next year or twenty. Will post some pics if it is worthwhile, but from the news footage it was hard to see where the eruption actually happened.

W wrote a story about it at kindy today, complete with his booster pack to fly up over the ash lol

Jan 2006
    by the beach,NSW

Arte - I thought of you the moment I heard that a volcano had blown over there. Glad you're all OK at the moment and hope W enjoys seeing it.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Anyone have any big plans for the weekend? W has been asking to play at the stockyards down the road from our old house - we just walk along the tops of the yards, sit in the stand etc, thrilling stuff lol but he has been asking for weeks.

Very exciting around here lol

Aug 2006

Arte it will be just about as thrilling here . We might go outside and pull some soursops out, before they take over the backyard, triffid-style. The stockyards do sound like exactly the kind of thing that appeals to kidlets. Did you daytrip over to the so-not-interesting volcano yet?

We have a new addition to the family. Her name is Zebbie, and she is E's imaginary (zebra) cousin. WTF? LOL She had a chair at the table tonight and got fed toy vegetables and everything.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

we have zero exciting plans I am as usual a soccer widow. so am car-less and feeling totally abandoned. not helped by cold, grey, rainy weather. ah well.

we went to the playground before, so the girls had a ball splashing in puddles, for them winter is a novelty hahaha.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

MD, W has a mummy (Egypt style) in his room that only he can see. I am thankful it doesn't come down for dinner though!

Cass, being left alone with the kids when pregnant sucks!

I put on my big girl knickers and went on a day trip with the kids to a town an hour away that has a toddler pool so I can manage them all by myself. We went past the volcano and there is a patch of about 1km where there was ash on the road (has been washed off) and that is it. Talk about the media over stating it!!

Having massive second thoughts about sending W to school next month. I was fine with it until they switched classes on us, now there are no kids he knows in his class. And they are all 6 or close to. The friends that he has have been hard earned and in the other class there would have been at least 2 kids he was friends with and others that he knew. I feel like now he is going to be thrown in the deep end. And it seems wrong to have him cooped up in a classroom when summer is rolling in and he could be outside playing and creating at kindy. Will do a school visit in the new class on Monday, but I think I may try to talk DH into leaving him at kindy until the end of the year. Although I have no idea if he would end up in a class with any friends next year either. Academics is never going to be a problem for him, I am more concerned that he does well socially. Kid is weird enough without more stress lol. Nothing is ever easy!
    Open to any opinions, I am totally out of my depth here.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

I'd be inclined to wait...with it being so close to end of year wouldnt they want him to do it all again next year anyway?

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

I am not sure what they have in mind Cass. It is a Year 1 class he would be going in to now, I am not sure if they would make him do Year 1 again or just shift him on to Year 2 next year. I suspect they would grade skip him to Year 2. That is something to ask.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

Here is my 2 cents worth Arte. There is no value in skipping him a grade and putting him in year 1 now, when it is likely that he will have to go into grade 2 next year. that will be too huge a jump for him emotionally and socially - you will have a 5 year old in a class of 7 year olds and that's not fair on him, especially when he already struggles with the social aspects. Even for how bright he is, it will not be worth it. He has some pretty huge anxiety issues as it is and I think it will make them worse. Not only that, he is 'ahead' of his peers atm, but what if he goes into this next class, which will essentially be year 2 and he can't cope with the work because it is just that bit further ahead than what he's ready for? I'm all for extending kids and challenging them, but that's just too much IMO. If you were still in Australia, not one single school in the country would do what that school is going to do. Even people with truly gifted children don't have their children accelerated straight into a grade 2 class when starting school. I looked up the school term dates for NZ and the last term is from October 15 to December 20 - which is 9 and a half weeks and then they will break for the summer holidays, so is it really worth it to send him? from where I'm sitting there is nothing to gain from this. if he were my child, I would keep him home till the start of next year, work on his anxiety problems (because can you imagine, if he's in a class of kids that are that much older than him, that they aren't going to pick up on the licking and tease him about it?) and then start him in grade 1 with the class that he was originally going to start with. By then, the kids in that class will be further ahead themselves and W will more than likely still be ahead of them, but maybe by not as much as he is now.

... 4567816 ...