... 7891011

thread: Babies Born ~ September 2007 #75

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

Re: Babies Born ~ September 2007 #75

Flarp Arte!!!!! So so glad and grateful you are all safe.

Great to see you in here Trill. xxx

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Cass, how is L going at school now? Did the meeting help?

How is everyone going with the back to school routine? I feel like a headless chook with two different bus runs on opposite sides of town! I quickly realised there was a pick up clash and so now W is going to the library for 20 minutes after he gets off the bus because I can't be in both places at once. I don't feel great about it but he is a sensible kid and he gets dropped off outside it.

So after three weeks of school A's teacher has already spoken to me about her inability/unwillingness to attempt letters or even to draw anything and that she forgets instructions as soon as they are given. I am sure I have mentioned before how incredibly vague she can be so it wasn't news to me but there is already talk of learning support/possible teacher aide for her. I guess part of me was hoping that it would magically not be an issue when she got to school. I will give her a bit more settle in time and then probably take her to the OT that was working with W for assessment so we know what it is we are dealing with.

I managed to sprain my back yesterday and got my wisdom teeth out today so I am having a quiet weekend at home while DH and the kids go to Scout camp. Study, movies, sewing project and mushy food are my plan

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Oh man. school is sooooo back on in our house. ATM i have THREE different drop offs to make twice a week and 2 different drop offs 3 days a week (and of course they are all at different times....ARRGHH!).

DHs dad is visiting from italy and that has actually been really awesome as he takes Miss L to school on her brand new bike (that he bought for her ... Miss M got one too!). I will sorely miss that help once he is gone.

Arte: i mean, i guess it is good that the teachers are on to it, but hopefully it is just a settling in thing. of course, because it is on my radar, just make sure that the 'vague' is just vague and not a minor absence seizure lol. we have to tell that to kindy as it looks as though Miss E is listening and engaging when in fact the lights are on but noone is home lol.

I have probably mentioned it in here before but lately-ish (ie for roughly the last 5-6 months) we have had some pretty atrocious behaviour from Miss L. It is so out of character (well, how out of character now that it has been going on so long???). but the other week really took the prize of awful i tell ya.

Picture this: lovely summery afternoon, friend's birthday party and we are all invited (kids included) to this gorgeous winery where there are cricket pitches for the kids and chooks roaming around and big fields for the kids to run around in. FABULOUS. anyway, about a couple of hours in, all hell breaks loose. a bunch of kids is busted....doing GRAFFITI. And my little turdburger is one of the offenders!!!! Turns out they helped themselves to the shed (door open) and found the spraypaint and decided to go to town on the walls and on some of the farm equipment. Although Miss L assured me that she *only* did a little scribble on the shed wall, I am just beyond disappointed, embarrassed and furious. I never thought in a million years that I would have to deal with that kind of stuff. not ever. cannot believe it. a whole bunch of kids made the right choice and did not engage in it while she made the wrong choice. i am trying to figure out why...it took ages for her to actually even understand how much trouble she (and us) were in. and i am not proud to say that i ended up in tears on the way home with my disappointment at it all. so so mortifying. anyway, we had to fork out for cleaning stuff etc. but it was just awful.

(ah, yeah, just totally dumped on y'all there lol)

Life Member. Every Australian needs a Farmer.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

She could have just gotten swept up in the moment and wanting to be like the other kids - especially if they were older. A is like that in a lot of ways. If someone says 'hey, it would be really funny if you did ran across the desks', he'd do it and then get in trouble, while the other kid sits back and watches the fun and never gets in trouble. There are a few sly kids like that in his year group who are older (march and april 2007) who know how to manipulate the other boys to do things like that. But I would have been devastated too and very disappointed. FWIW though, it is just a stage and them learning about good and bad choices etc. I hope it passes soon for you Cass

Arte, that's a tricky one. If your school system is like ours, she will have to be fully tested for IQ and any processing issues in terms of being able to apply herself to her work, but if they are already talking about getting an aide for her then maybe you'll be lucky enough to bypass all of that and she'll get classroom support quickly. I hope the back and tooth extraction aren't giving you too much pain.

Things are settling down. We're back into a routine now so I feel a lot more organised. A is going quite well at school and he's really taken on the responsibility of being one of the eldest in his class and he's starting to mature a lot. He can still be silly sometimes, but that's rare. Only when he's with a particular couple of boys but they aren't in his class which is good. He's eating me out of house and home though! Can't fill him up at all. I take extra food to school because he finds me at lunch time looking for more food. I weighed him tonight and he's 31kg! And he is 130cm tall - if he keeps growing at the same rate he'll be nudging 100kg and 6ft 2 by the time he's 18 according to the blue book growth chart. But he doesn't look fat, just starting to fill out and get solid looking. L is geting a bit worried that his little brother will end up bigger than him and kick his ass when he's older LMAO! making up for all the times L's wrestled with him.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Cass, your drop off schedule sounds like mine - except I am lucky enough that most of mine are sequential so it is only one giant loop in the car. My new car has arrived now. It has electric doors which are thrilling the kids (and secretly me) no end lol.
    Was L with older kids doing the graffiti? Or kids she wants to be accepted by? How has the shift been for her i.e. has she made friends/feeling settled or is the bullying at school etc affecting her quite a bit? Anxiety is always on my radar and honestly the difference between holiday W and stressed out W is amazing. He can be a complete toad when things aren't going well for him. Perhaps some relaxation techniques might be helpful?
    I don't think A is having seizures, just a general vague like she has always been. I have long suspected auditory processing problems - I even arranged to get her tested about a year and a half ago and repeated several times on the phone what I wanted, then when I got there they only did a normal hearing test! I was very angry! However, it hasn't been too big of a problem until now.

Trill, hopefully we can bypass the whole IQ thing but if that is the path they want to take then I guess we will go there. I don't think she is unintelligent, just that she often doesn't seem to get what is being asked itms - like if she understands the instructions she can complete a task very well but if she doesn't understand then she just vagues off or gets upset - and that happens quite a bit more than you would expect. I have been doing reading eggs/mathseeds with her and one on one in a quiet room she is picking things up as fast as W ever did. But in class she wanders around in a daze. She also has very little confidence in her own abilities which doesn't help but I have already noticed a difference since she is succeeding with the basic stuff.
    Sounds like A is a whopper! I measured W a few weeks ago and he is 121cm and 21.5kg. A has now nudged ahead in weight, although she is still a couple of inches shorter.

MD, I still haven't looked for those yoga moves for E. TBH, W's room is a massive tip and it is a bit scary to venture in there lol.

Back is nearly better and the teeth aren't too bad. I am really looking forward to eating solid food again!

Life Member. Every Australian needs a Farmer.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

The IQ thing is to assess their cognitive/receptive/ ability etc and how quickly they can process answers, so it's not the test IQ as such, but its one of a range of tests that they do when assessing for processing/cognitive issues. It's frustrating that you keep getting let down by these people who are meant to be helping you! Very hard to keep trying to pursue help when the help you do get isn't very, well, helpful :lol. I have a kid in my literacy class who is quite smart, but will sit and do nothing for the entire lesson if you don't ride his ass every single minute (which is impossible with 28 kids in th class!) and we're actually suspecting he might have Inatentive ADHD because he just spaces out too. Not saying that's the issue with A, but there is just such a wide assortment of things that can interfere with their learning. It's just a matter of findin the right way to deal with it.

A was skinny for so long that in a way it's good to see him put on weight. He was always tall, but he's filling out at a rapid pace.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Yeah, I have found that you get what you pay for in the public health system. We have a private psych that we see now to help W.
    ADHD inattentive has been on my mind for several years now with A, but then I wonder how much of her behaviour is her natural 'do the bare minimum' personality. For the last two years I have been trying to get her to write her name and she plain refuses to try. For writing she will do lines of o's and l's. Then today when I was at school helping with literacy I said we should practice writing her name to surprise gran when she goes to help at school next week and she wrote her whole name perfectly and then went back to her scribbles! I showed the teacher who was just as surprised as I was. So how much of it is an actual cognitive issue and how much is just stubbornness/laziness/lack of confidence is hard to tell. She has never been one to want to do anything for herself.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

Hi everyone
    just had a bit of a read through.... lots to catch up on so sorry if i miss important things!
    Trill - cant believe you have 2 at boarding school. you mustnt know yourself. how is the teaching going?
    Arte - it is great the teacher is onto any potential watch points with A, and it sounds like you already have it all on your radar. have you taken her to an OT?
    we have been seeing an OT for Jacob, and whilst some of it i think is a little too much for him (put any kid under the microscope and youll find issues) it has also really helped him. his pencil grip was one of the main things and that is greatly improved. we are now working on some social things, and he is growing in confidemce all the time. he is 100% thriving in prep. he starts soccer ina teaam this weekend which i thinkw ill be great for him.
    N is going really well - loving grade 2. he is growing up so much, he is his own persn really. he is doing drama after schhol one day a week and has started the clarinet too, will start scouts next term.... add on tae kwon do and swimming and its a full agenda for a 7 year old!!! this last weekend we had school 'family camp' - we all grew up - the kids all roamed around sans adults - i ha to get used to that!! they all loved it, we had a ball too. kids already nagging me to book for next year, which i cant do til october!
    can hardly believe it is nearly school hols again, i just did out planner for the school holidays! wow!!!
    i am going ok, busy as always. doesnt help that i have ross river fever! having some good days ad some not so good. but soldiering on! am off to america for work next week so have to improve for that!
    N's teacher called me today for a check in (love that!) and she mentioned he is having some issues 'mirroring' - so we need to watch for that. she said it can be an indicator for dyslexia, but she thinks it will improve with some prompting. she said he is a wonderful student though, with a love of learing. i teared up, so proud!
    i am moving into another new role ar work soon, so things are going well.... busy busy and thankful for our amazing nanny/housekeeper whch has made lide so much easier.

Cass - how is L going at school now? how are you going? it seems the move has been a bit hard? thought of you as we had a weekend in bendigo recently.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

MP, congrats on the new job! Hope you have a good work trip too
    I haven't done the OT yet for A but she is doing well at school so far I think. She has realised that she can do it and her confidence is building which is great to see. Our main focus with her at the moment is emotional control - using nice words and/or coming up with a solution rather than screeching and howling about every tiny thing. It is slow going but she is improving. I think the school stuff will flow on once we get her feeling better within herself.

N will love Scouts. W has been going since last May and DH is his group leader now. I love the camps when the kids can just roam and do their own thing - we went to a scouts camp a couple of months back and it was like that.

Is anyone else into Minecraft? W would play it from dawn to dusk if I let him. I have to limit the time he is allowed to play it and OMG he can talk about it. 20 minutes straight in the car the other day! At least he spends equal time reading his book about it.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

Hi everyone! Hope you have all had a lovely Easter with your families!
    Can hardly believe we are about to start term 2 that is just freaky!
    all is going well here, I really needed this long weekend to relax, it's been so full on lately and I am tired and stressed, so the relaxed family time has been a blessing. We usually go away and I am glad we didn't. Had 24 ppl for dinner Friday and 12 sat, but it all went well.
    The kids are doing really well, today we are moving their bedrooms again as it's time for them to split, bit nervous how that Weill go
    n is doing so well, school is going well, he loves all his extra curricular, he is growing up so much. Bit of attitude, but generally so great
    j is also doing well, prep has been great for him and he is really thriving, it's good to see
    no other news to report really, just busy being us!
    would love to near how everyone is

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2007
    Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne.

Hello everyone!!! Was getting a bit sentimental about our babies being so big so thought I'd check in on everyone!
    We just drove back from mildura so I, too, thought of you cass! Please don't sell that beautiful rambling house. I love it too much!
    Trill I weighed Lewis yesterday (after pulling out last winter's trackies and jeans and finding he couldn't get any on) and he has cracked 35kgs! Huge. Just ordered a couple of pairs of size 12 CR trackies for him with my latest spend and save lol
    J has been going great in prep. Loving school and really engaged. Had a PSG meeting the other day for him -have to have one per term for him as he is part of the special needs unit- and they said that he is way over achieving academically and will need extension activities. Unbelievable. So proud of him. He tries his little guts out.
    I have returned to work 2-3 days a week. I was so anxious in the lead up to it all. Worried about j mostly and not being there for my kids 100% of the time but it has been ok. I've been enjoying the work much more than I thought I would, and especially enjoy having more $ to spend lol
    Hope everyone is well. Congrats on 5 yrs md and on having your own class trill x

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

Hey G - I have also been quite sentimental, they really are growing up aren't they. what kind of extension will they do for J? my J is also getting extension, in reading and maths... its great how schools can tailor for them all isnt it.
    both my boys went happily off today back to term 2... i had a drama filled morning - dh is away and i am in sydney tonight (kids at my in laws) - got us all in thr care ready for the day with my suitacse, their bags, overnight bag etc - proud... then the alley i drive up was blocked by a truck. divert. major traffic. late for school and N ended up with his first ever late pass! take J up to his room (he starts later) and kiss him bye, off i go to get to the aiport. no keys. empty handbag, rush aorund madly. nothing. back into school retrace footsteps. eventually locate them on top of Noah's locker. grrrrrrrr! drive to airport. get text from DH who just woke up "hope day is going smoothly!". funny now in hindsight!
    35kg and size 12 - wow!!!!! i need to weigh the boys but i think n would be behind that. he is avg height ad just in size 7 now really. J is super tall, but so thin!!! i cant even imagine size 12!!! your boys look so gorgeous in their pics! stunning.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Hello lovely ladies!

argh so awesome to see you everyone chatting away in here again...like the good ol' days!

MP: Term 2 of grade 2...so freaky fast! Miss L goes on her first school camp soon. they go horseriding for like 3 days and of course i have totally put my hand up to help out with the ponies (pony passion 101 over here lol).

so lucky that you found your handbag after all that time! best scenario that you left it at the school...but still...cannot imagine having to run around trying to find it while stressing about getting to the airport...hats off to you!

Ginger: do you have to commute far for work? or is it nice and local? I am getting a *bit* over the commute, mostly because i have to get on a train and only have a meeting here and there and then hop back on. the other day i went all the way in for an 18 minute meeting

It seems i have the opposite issue to you guys with the boys. Miss L is still so tiny! she is still in size 5 dresses for school hahahaha.

AFM: we are all pretty good here. Miss E is now officially discharged from the RCH neurology mob! yee-hah! i mean, she still has sporadic seizures but they are not impacting her brain or development so we all felt that it was not really necessary at this stage to keep meeting every six months. basically now we just call up her neurologist with worries/changes etc and keep in touch when we want etc. which is a big relief.
    Miss L is about to start playing soccer and the violin! we are fast becoming scheduled parents haha! wasnt sure it would ever happen but there you go haha.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Cass, yay for Miss E being discharged!

G, great to hear J is going well and you are enjoying the return to work

MP, you sound busy as always!

MD, hope you are well.

I got back last week from my dream holiday with a friend in America. We managed to cram so much stuff into two weeks, it was awesome! Settling back into home life again - school runs, lunch boxes, essays due...

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

hello everyone :-) it is so quiet in here! i was just remembering when we used to basically live chat in here when the kids were babies... how time has rushed by!
    Cass - YAY for miss e being discharged. that is just wonderful news :-) whata journey you have been on. I am doing a leadership programme and one of the things is to engage with different CEOs and businesses and the RCH was one of mine. i thought of you. amazing place for amazing kids. i hope miss e is doing really well now. congrats on your pony ! i guess that makes the country living more "adjusted" you couldn't do that in your old hood. very cool. how is miss L going at the school now?
    Arte - your trip sounds amazing! how did everything at home go without you?
    MP - how goes having a teenager? cant even imagine!!
    Trill - how is A and how have you adjusted to having 2 at boarding school and 2 at home? how is your teaching going?
    G - how is Mr J going in prep?

All is well here. N is going grrat guns, he started scouts a month or 2 ago and just got his first badge for doing a 6km hike last weekend. he really enjoys it and i love that it is 'wholesome fun' - no screens, no major investments etc, just learning and interacting and kind of the same as when we were all kids. i am also hoping je will over time meet some local kids, as that is a downside of private school i guess.

J is doing really well at school. he has adjusted a lot socially and he is so happy there. learnong heaps too - really advnaced in reading and maths, and enjoying all the different experiences. Still some 'sensory' stuff going on, but its just him and his slightly quirky ways i think. the OT did some great stuff with him and we have overcome the pencil grip issues, so i stopped that as she was totally over analysing him and making him kind of upset. hard to explain.

my work is going ok, i am doing 2 massive jobs and am a abit over it. may be time for a change (i have now been there 4 years)....

we have about a month until we go on holidays (to vuetnam and cambodia) - cant wait.

Hope everyone is well and smiling!

X

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Hi MP. Scouts is awesome! Everything went fine at home while I was away, a bit hard arriving straight back into the lunchbox/school run saga after the freedom of holidays though lol.

Cass, congrats on the pony! I would love to have a pony for my kids. I grew up with horses and would like to get back into it at some stage.

Same old here. Snow tonight, everyone is hoping for a snow day in the morning

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

hello lovelies!

i have been MIA in a big big way. 3 jobs, 3 kids = not much down time and it sucks to be so run off your feet i tells ya.

MP: Miss L has *just* asked to join the scouts or the girl guides (she doesnt care which lol). i am thinking it would be really good for her too. i was briefly in the cubs as the family i was living with were all big scout people...i really loved it.

Arte: i can highly recommend a phat pony in your life lol. Little nino is no show pony (considering he was bought of the back of a knackery truck lol), but we are soo soo smitten with him it just isnt funny. he was pretty wild and frightened when we got him, but less than a week and he was in a halter and now is really getting there with leading and lunging and is really good around the girls.

MD: hope you are awesome!

And to anyone of the other Sept girls reading: hope that youse are all awesome-sauce as well

Things here are pretty good. a pony helps lol. i am run off my feet with work (currently have 3 different projects on the go-go). my grandfather has also just been diagnosed with motor neurone disease and it is progressing really quickly so i am feeling quite stressed and a little lost about it all (as you may remember they raised me for the majority of my childhood).
    Miss L is doing quite well. the school situation is still quite shocking so we are working on a move to a new school in a village or maybe two villages over. it will be a 20 minute drive but at this stage it will be worth it. the culture of whatever school they are in, it appears, is really hard to shake off when back at home. although everyone there is very nice, it is so at odds with our own values that it creates a bit too much friction and we feel quite disengaged ITMS.

Miss M is also a consideration in this. she will not attend that school next year! i have been so desperate that we have even considered homeschooling until we find an appropriate alternative (something i have never ever considered or wanted before lol).

despite all this rather unfun stuff though, things are good. it's good to be out of the little baby stage and for Miss E to not be so chronically affected by the seizures. we can finally breathe and enjoy life a little more!

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Hello!!

I would so love to get a pony. There are ongoing talks about moving back up north and part of my plan involves a pony and chickens

Cass, change the school. Holidays are coming up, that is always a good chance to move. I feel like a school picking expert these days lol. I have opted for the 20 minute drive rather than the closer schools because country suits us better. It takes me 35 minutes to do our pick up because the big kids are on two different buses on opposite sides of town lol. It is all a bit of a stuff up really, it will be much simpler if they were both going to the same school!! However, it is what it is and hopefully next year we will be moved and living closer to a school suitable for them both. Or at least if we are still here they will be going to the same place.

Same old crap here. W is completely unmanageable. I have a child mental health appointment on Wednesday and I am counting down the seconds. I desperately hope they can offer some help because I just don't know what to do with him. It is a horrible cycle that I don't know how to get out of - he blows up about every.single.thing, we end up growling at him, he feels even more unliked and anxious, blows up about even more stuff... We just all need a break from it so we can actually have some fun times together instead of walking on eggshells all the time. It is a constant battle. It shouldn't be this hard and miserable And on top of that I am in regular contact with A's teacher these days. She has emotional outbursts that don't surprise me considering the stressed out environment she lives in, and we seem to be on the fast track for ADHD - inattentive diagnoses. Her vagueness and painfully slow handwriting are very apparent, but on the bright side she is picking up the actual learning well enough which is great considering how often she is actually on task!

I am sorry to hear about your Opa Cass. My grandfather never got home again after his stroke last year. He is stuck in a care home which he would hate if there was enough of him left to hate it He barely talks now, eats what is put in front of him and just wants to sit in his room. Every time I go back to visit there has been a noticeable decline It is so awful

Well anyway, what a happy box of birds I am!!!
    Apart from my ailing grandfather and my uncontrollable kids, things are great lol. I am waiting on exam results but have hopefully finished my psych stuff, so now I have free time during the day when E is at her various things. I plan to read many, many books

... 7891011