Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, April '05 #2

cluck cluck cluck

hanging out in here is not helping!!

I must say deb, the pic of Gabby in her bath is one of my faves, along with Fi's one of Gabby and jenna together!

mooshie Guest

just sticking my head in here sorry to invade.

deb - the maternity payment of $3000 takes around 3wks from lodgement at centrelink (at least it did back in september) i have found them to be pretty good when they say a time it is usually there.

sarah - i know it is hard but try not to worry to much re weight gain - lani was 3.9kg born and 6.5mths later she was only 6.5kgs - she has gain on average around 100g every week since she was born (and in fact she only gained 500gms between 4.5mths and 6.5mths - my health nurse said any growth is good - be it weight, height or head. and btw on health nurses if you are not happy did you know you are not obliged to go to the same one - you can go to another health nurse (maybe ask around some friends who have had bubs and are happy with their nurse) when i had dd 7yrs ago our health nurse was shocking no children of her own, a real stickler to the rules and i always walked out of their in tears, alot of mums never went there and the local chemist ended up getting a health nurse in once a week cause there were so many new mums not going to this particular one - thankfully she retired a few years back, having said that my one atm is a bit loopy - she was good at the start but has been a bit strange lately - anyone ask around or ring your local council (if that is who runs them - i know it is done through councils down here) - if not just demand a referral do not let her talk you out of it, she is not the one up all night with an unhappy baby. good luck

okay sneaking back out now into my own forum. sorry for the invasion.

Well Deb, he's not too skinny - he's still got his chubby littler cheeks for the moment! You reminded me, we need to change our sheets too! As for the maternity payment there is a form to fill out - it's a booklet thing where you fill in info for maternity payment, immunisation payment & weekly family benefits. I sent mine in last Thursday & the money was in the bank on Wednesday this week.

Thanks for that Tegan & Michelle, it's good to know that a little weight gain is not a bad thing.

Sarah, fine for you ECHN to say swap day for night, but how is he going to learn the difference between the 2. LOL at you out the back hanging out the washing at 1am. AS long as Zander is gaining I wouldn't stress too much, afterall if she were that worried about it she would send you to the Dr or elsewhere..... Even though Brandon had reflux he was always a chubby baby and in the high range for his weight and height. I'm sure that Zander will catch back up soon enough, it's times like these you be thankful that he was a good size born.

Deb, Tehya goes down for around 5 hours straight for her first sleep in hte night after her bath and boob. The rest of the night we are up every 3 hours or so. I don't think your selfish at all, do whatever works best for you and gives you the most sleep. I don't think that Tehya slept for any longer the night I gave her formula to wha tshe does any other night so I didn't persist with it, that and the upset tummy shes has had. Love the new pics of Gabby too. The bath one would have to be my fav too.

FI, I only ever feed of one bb at a time. That way bub gets all she needs in both fore and hind mik. Only on the very rare occasion do I find they need the other side in one feed. Years ago when I had Joel they told you to feed for 20 minutes one side, stop burp and another 20 minutes on the other side. No wonder my babies were so fat I let Tehya decide how much she wants from me, usually only takes between 10 and 15 minutes at the most for a feed. Don't you just love the milk drunk look and the fact that you made her that way.

Take care
    Trish

Hi there! Sarah I just wanted to let you know on particularly chucky weeks Matilda wouldn't gain anything, and in the first six months she started at the top 95% of weight & height and went to 50% in weight and 90% in height and thats still okay... As long as he's gaining its good!

Morning girls,
    Sarah, the MACHN sounds like a dope! I have never had my babies weighed with their clothes on! That's just lazy of her! I hope things get sorted out soon.

Trish... eww at all that poo! I don't blame you for putting nappies back on him... poor boy!

Fi, I have the same prob... too much milk, and a windy baby, it isn't so bad with a bit of management, but it's hard to burp them and control a squirting boob at the same time. And when I am feedin and my boobs let down milk, my other one starts squirting...

Bub is awake for a feed, better go.
    Tanya

Hi again,

Sleepy baby about to wake up so must be quick. I'm sitting here expressing my left BB into a glass so I can get her to latch on when she wakes. Well not so much expressing as hanging it over the edge of a glass and allowing it to drip. I feel so guilty throwing it all away but I just haven't organised myself into storing it yet. And besides, I dont want to introduce bottles for a couple more weeks.
    4 pooey nappies in a row. My god - thankfully today is disposable day. we are alternating so I dont get stressed with washing stuff.

Sarah - I'm having NOOOOO problems sleeping during the day, which shocks the bejesus out of me. I was sure I would be terrible, but i'm happy catching an hour here and there when I can.

Tanya - I am sleeping with face washers tonight cause I had the biggest mess all over me at about 2am this morning. I'm changing my bra every day!!

Deb - stitches are the pits! Specially down there. They were so itchy and sore after netball today with all the walking I did. We had our first outing - it was wonderful fun - NOT!! Actually it was OK, but very short, and involved lots of throwing up. Monday will be interesting when I have to pick uu Mum from the airport. All by myself!!

Trish - my heart goes out to you and your poo situation. I hope you are coping OK. I get stressed all the time about this sort of stuff. I know I'm dealing OK with things now, but I'm so worried about how I'll cope with multiple sick babies down the track. It plays on my mind alot, and I'm hoping its how my baby blues are materialising. So far I've just been a little teary when I think about the labour. It still traumatises me a little but I think I'm working through it slowly.

Does anyone else feel this way? I get mental pictures and flashbacks of things that I said, or what happened, and it just sends me into shivers and tears for a few minutes. I dont think my labour was particularly bad - I'm already forgetting the pain. I dont think I can describe it anymore, I just remember it hurt.

OK - shane home - making a song and a dance about the hawks beating the lions. Oh god - he will be unbearable tonight! Thankfully Jenna wore her ugly hawks jumpsuit yesterday, and it will be in the wash for weeks and weeks and weeks......

Fi

Fi - about the labour thing...it does get better, slowly those tears will just be pauses and then it won't be an issue as much. I sometimes now get memories of labour & the c/s and shudder and when I hear some people's stories it reminds me and I get a bit teary. But not all the time, it will get better

Thanks Christy. Its hard though - there is so much going on with the body, and the flashbacks scare me sometimes. I still can't walk into our bathroom. I think night time will be OK, but during the day its scary.

My sister laboured with her second in the bath and has not been able to enjoy a bath nearly 3 years later.

It makes me think of a couple of people in the armed forces I know who were diagnosed with PTSD after Timor and Vietnam. Ha - try childbirth for a real trauma!!!

Fi, I was always hopeless at expressing (even with all the milk I have). But I used to freeze it into ice cube trays. So even a little bit that I expressed could be used. Then you don't waste much when thawing it... thought you might be interested, saves chucking it out.

Tanya

Debbie Lee Guest

I'll be doing that too, Tanya. I bought some ice trays that have a lid from Tupperware. I just have to wait for my oven to be installed so that I can boil water and sterilise them properly. The ice trays won't fit in to my steam steriliser.

Fi - personally I think your labour was quite traumatic and I don't blame you for being upset whenever you think about it. You were in pain for a fairly long time and a forceps deliverly is not exactly pleasant! I feel like I kind of got away with something by having the c-section. You need to validate your feelings. You were pretty scared of the event in the first place so going through it would have been very emotional. You will have sad moments for a couple of weeks. I still have them now (though nowhere near as intense as before! It was like turning on a tap. One moment I would be fine, the next I was bawling over very small things). Just go with the flow, rant and rave if you need to. I promise it will all feel a little better soon. :hugs: Good idea to alternate with the nappies for a while too. The last thing you need to do is worry about washing. How are your fantastic nappies going n e way?

Trish & Chrissy - thanks for the compliments re. the pics of Gabby.

My kitchen got started today! Woo hoo! So far we have our big bench in and the cupboard doors on. I am guessing Neil will do more tomorrow. I had to go to an engagement party and left him working on it for a while. He came later.
    It was pretty good though I am exhausted! I gave Gabby a feed before we left but I was there for a while so she had 2 feeds there. There were stacks of kids and babies so I felt pretty comfortable BFing. Lotsa yummy food too! Neil and the boys took off at about 4pm to go and see Geelong and Essendon play in Melbourne. I am not all that impressed that he has gone. Apparently they are getting the last train home but I have heard that so many times before! He better not rock on home at all hours of the night. Hmm.... I think this will have to be his last big night out for a while. I just get a little scared and upset when I think about it. I mean, Gabby and I are ok. I just like the company iykwim? Even when he is working out in the shed, at least he is here if I need him. Hmmmm...

Thanks for the replies about the maternity payment. I filled out a booklet but it just didn't say anything specifically about the $3000. I am going to call Centrelink on Monday and find out how long it is going to take. I only lodged the forms at Medicare on Monday so I guess I should be a little bit patient, hey?

Fi IKWYM about the flashbacks. I said some pretty horribe things like I didn't care what they did with the baby just get it out & away from me 8-[ Like Christy & Deb said, it does go away slowly.

Neil might surprise you Deb & be home nice & early, stranger things have happened!

Well as you may have noticed from my last post that we didn't get much sleep again last night. The little munchkin seems to like being awake between 11pm & 3am, not so good for mum!

Had a good night last night, sort of! Zander had his bottle t 8.30 & was in bed at 10.30 then didn't wake until 2.30 \/ Back in bed at 3.00 then up at 5.30 & slowly drifting off now. Problem was we went to bed at 10.30, but didn't go to sleep until after 12.00.

I have a huge mountain of washing to do today, am almost considering starting it now. Nah too early, it can wait afterall it has for the last week or so!

Thats great Sarah! I have everything crossed that Zander sleeps better for you!! Now if only I could get Matilda to sleep....

Hi Girls,

Sarah, I've already started the washing for today. Another load of pooey sheets thanks to Noah.... WOOHOO on finally getting a decent night with Zander. The Mum that can do nothing right obviously can I hope that Zander settled down for the drive home yesterday, poor little man.

Fi, to you sweety. i think that you might actually benefit from getting out all of your feelings about your labour and birth. My girlfriend had to see a councellor for quite some time after her babies birth and has benefited from it all. Dealing with more than one sick child at a time is the pits but like anything you get through it. Better than having one sick for a week then the next one geting sick for another week, get it all over at once.

Deb, fanastic news about your kitchen getting started. And about time too I hope Neil got home at a decent hour. If not you can always take Gabby in to him and give him a morning wake up call. Hang overs are the worse with kids.

Tanya, hope that you and Violet are doing well and the wind problem has settled down abit.

Tehya has been pretty good. Slept through most of the expo yesterday and when she was a wake just layed there and looked around. Got her hand and foot moulds done while we were out there. She stayed nice and still for it and didn't complain abit.
    Then came the drive home where she cried nearly the whole way. Poor thing I think she had pains. Sort of settled when we got home and had some bby. Then she started up again and whinged for arpund an hour or so. More booby and we both crashed out on the couch around 7.30pm. She woke for a feed at 12.30am, 4.am and up alittle after 6am. She is laying on the lounge room floor atm kicking around and playing. Hmm starting to whinge now, of course it's time for our breakfast. I swear babies have in built timers in them.

Take care
    Trish

Morning all,

The stump fell off!!!! I feel so bad, cause I pulled the cloth nappy up a bit high, and I thought it might have hurt a little. Then when we just changed her - off it pops!! I was sure it wouldn't come off for another few days. Hope I didn't do it to her.

We slept OK. Shane and I are committed now to turning visitors away after 7pm. Last night we had 2 sets of them, and the second set turned up with a 6-pack of beams and some cruisers!! OMG! I told them when they walked in - I hope you aren't planning on drinking all those tonight! So after about 90mins of them being comfy, I called out - BEDTIME from the other room, and they got the hint and left. That was at 9:30 - and we didn't get Jenna down until 11:00. SHe slept to 1:00, it took til 2:30 to feed her and get her down again. Started stirring at 4:30, so we brought her into bed with us til 6:30. Shane got another hours sleep while I did the morning feed, and we are up and at them now!!

She's grizzling though, so I think it will be a bit of booby, and then try to get her down for a nap - and Mum too.

Sarah - I joked with Mum about giving her away too - Mum keeps saying, how am I going to get this child home next week....... Have you organised her passport yet? If I didn't have Shane I would say I would possibly lapse into some sort of PND, cause I couldn't handle all of this by myself. It makes such a difference to me to have him around.
    Start the washing - once you get going, someone might hang it out for you!! Wouldn't that be great!!
    I have to get the washing on cause I'm going through a bra a day - and I only have 3 that I am happy to stretch out of shape with face-washers. God-damned letdown!!! Grrrrrr..

Deb - IKWYM too - I just want Shane with me all the time too. I hate that he's going to Lara today, and then again off to work this week. Luckily he has the following week off work, so hopefully we have a routine going by then so we can enjoy the time together.

Tanya - great idea about the ice cube tray. And I'm not any good at expressing - it just falls out. There is no skill involved as far as I can see!!!
    Deb - the dom midwife said I don't have to use sterile containers to store the EBM in - just clean ones. And make sure they are plastic, not glass cause apparently the glass pulls out some of the good bits. I would have thought chucking the trays in your microwave steriliser would be fine.

Trish - You are being so good with all the stuff you are getting done to capture Tehya's youth. I haven't organised anything yet like decent photos, and I'm terrified I'm going to miss her being a newborn. At the end of the day we have the memories right? And if we have to take mental snapshots at every opportunity - well maybe that will have to do.
    And I still haven't looked at your baby shots - I think I'll get a little jealous.....

Right - probably time to get her down for a nap - she's been up since about 7am. So we shall now start the feeding frenzy. Big feed, smaller feed, top-up, try to put down, top-up, try to put down.....and so it continues until success is had!

Fi

The stump falling off is pretty gross hey Fi!? Good on you for turning away visitors after 7.00 probably something we all should do in the first few weeks. I so know what you mean about having Shane there, I don't know how single mums can do it!

LOL at the mum that can do nothing right getting something right!! He was pretty good for the drive home too, once we got to the car he had calmed down. Maybe there was too much going on for the poor little guy. Sounds like Tehya & Zander swapped for a bit there - he cried at the expo & was good going home, she was good at the expo & cried going home!!!

Ok off to get the washing done. I went back to bed after my last post & only just got up now.

Yay for you resting Sarah. You deserve it!! Babies are so cute. I love playtime!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast