Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, July '05

Hey guys!

Well Hendrix and I graduate today to the one month thread!! Cant believe how quickly time has flown.

Linds we moved Hendrix into his own room (in a bassinet) when he was three weeks as he is also a really really noisy sleeper and i was awake constantly as his grunts and gurgles would startle me just as i was falling asleep. He also cries out in his sleep. He also adjusted well. His bedroom is right next to ours and so we are woken as soon as he cries. Hendrix is so much more aware (although today he slept most of the day, i think he is still getting over his cold).

Gotta go dinner is nearly ready

Hi girls, well I havent had time to read all of your previous posts, but the last few only, and Im a big believer in the dummy LOL. The twins had them ,and gave them up quite easily when 2, Rianna is a thumb sucker, and thats a lot harder to take away IYKWIM. I have one here for Dion to use when I can convince him to do so.

I usually keep my kids in my room til they start sleeping through, just for my convenience.

Dion has a little jaundice so am having to feed 3 hrly ( he would go 4 otherwise) I hate trying to wake him, its sooo hard!
    He's starting to get the hang of burping, so feeds dont take quite as long any more.

Hope your babies all give you a good sleep tonight!

Hi Vanita! Congratulations and welcome to Dion!!

I don't know if i told you all but we finally have a name for our son...took a while due to the fact that the name we chose was already taken by someone else of the same generation in my husband's family. So now he is Alexander Rohan! Yay!

Alexander had some jaundice too but he's over it now. Still into 3 hourly feeds and he has a hearty appetite. Seems to be getting bigger in front of my eyes. I am suffering from lack of sleep somewhat due to waking up to feed him and then taking so long to wind him before he settles again. He has beautiful loud burps and has amazing eruptions from his bum too. But if I don't get them out of him, he will toss and turn or spew or cry. 'Windy baby' my mum says!

He has also started to hold his breath when he cries. He's done this once a day for the last 3 days. He gets himself so upset/angry that he gets stuck at a high point of crying. Scares the life out of me and had me in tears every time afterwards. Thank god mum has been there to help me, I think otherwise I would be a complete nervous wreck. The books say he won't suffocate and that there is some internal biological mechanism that will make him breathe again. He holds his breath for maybe 5 seconds, and then he comes around again - today mum blew in his face to make him take a breath - its enough to scare the **** out of me.
    ...otherwise he is a happy baby!!!

We haven't got a dummy for him yet, actually I didn't even think about using one until I read your posts. We may consider it more seriously in future, but at this stage i don't feel compelled to get him one.

Hope you're all well!

Hi everyone,

Welcome Vanita and Dion. Congratulations again on the arrival of your little boy.

Dear little Blake is fast asleep at the moment after his bath and feed. As a thought, when do the rest of you bath your babies? Blake is such a demanding man for food that I have to feed him when he's awake about an hour before he's due. This usually works out best when I've walked to school in the morning, particularly Monday's as I also go to assembly and don't get home until later, but I do bath him other days too! LOL

Blake is starting to sleep for longer stints now, and I often get 5 or 6 hours out of him at night. He will also sleep 5 hours during the day if I let him although I'd rather he saves that for night time.

He's still being selective about when he wants his dummy which I'm pleased about, and he's still spitting it out and he doesn't wake up because he's missing it. I agree with you Vanita about the dummy vs thumb debate. My Godson (GS) was encouraged to suck his thumb as a baby rather than being given a dummy because his mother felt he could easily pacify himself with is thumb and he wouldn't wake during the night looking for it as he would with a dummy that had fallen out. The only complication with this is that he is now nearly 11 and when he's tired or bored, his thumb will often find it's way into his mouth. I'm pleased that my DD had a dummy because when I chose to take it off her sometime between 2 and 3yo, it was gone and there was no repercussions. If she's tired or cranky I used to joke with her that I'd get a dummy to give her something to soothe her, but she's laugh. In the back of my mind I'd think about my GS who wouldn't hesitate to suck his thumb.

Deb, Congratulations on naming Alexander. It's such a lovely strong name.

Linds, Blake is still in his bassinet in our room, although I've been thinking about how much longer he'll be in there. Not because he's a noisy boy, simply because he's so big! There's not a lot of room left at the head of his bed (I put him in like I would in the cot to 'SIDS Standards' with his feet touching the bottom of the bed.) There's maybe 10cms left between his head and the top of the bassinet, and when he's trying to settle to sleep and he's got one of his arms out (actually I tend to wrap him with one arm out these days otherwise he spends too much time and energy getting it out) he waves his arm around and I can hear him hitting the side of the bassinet, and kicking the end of it too. Unfortunately he's not yet sleeping all the way through so it's handy to have him close, and really, I like having him near me. I'm still doting on him, and getting warm and fuzzy when he's so close

Time to do some other stuff - like housework, oh joy!

Have a great afternoon.

Hi girls,

It seems like ages since I've posted - I guess I'm used to jumping on here at least once a day, and now I can barely get dressed during the day let alone getting on the web!! LOL.

Linds, we put Thomas in his cot from the first night home. I really missed him next to me too, after being together side by side in hospital for 7 days and nights. But his room is directly across the hallway from our room, so it is not far to get up in the middle of the night. And I must admit, I still hear most of his little noises - I think it is a mum thing!!

Deb, congrats on finally getting a name for the boy. I love Alexander. If we weren't sticking to ancestor names for our boy, then Alexander would have been up there on the list!

Well we had a bit of a nightmare day/evening yesterday. Thomas didn't sleep from 1.30pm until 9.30pm. Maybe just 10 minutes or so, but really nothing. And he grizzled a lot too. And DH was away for the whole day. And my mum came over and whilst not meaning too, sort of put me out for the afternoon. Anyway, towards 8.30pm, he had a couple of big poos and a number of big farts and he settled after his feed. Phew. But by this time, I was in tears and just didn't know what else to do for him. But if I put him down, he screamed blue murder! God it was awful. But today, he is back to his old (!? not quite 3 weeks!) self.

We had the maternal and child nurse come to the house today to do a weigh. Thomas has put on 380gms in a week! WOW. He is now around the 7lb 11oz mark. He has almost put on a pound in 3 weeks. Obviously my milk is ok!

So how are you all fairing? Somedays I'm good and others I'm quite sh*t for short periods of the day. But I find that when people ask me how I am, I often say "fine" or "good". Why do we do that? I had a bit of a teary session with DH the other night about him not being physically around the house much, even though he works from home (remember, we are farmers). I realise and understand that there is heaps to do on the farm - and especially at this time as we are calving and now getting cows back into calf using AI - but I really need DH to help around the house, not just my mum. I want him to do some of the chores and I want him to sometimes run me in and out of town (still not driving after c-section just yet). Also, when ever anyone asked how things were, he would tell them "good" - my line :-s - when in fact, things were not always good. Anyway, DH understood and things have been much better.

Well, I'd best go. Goota feed the boy.

Hi to all.

Luv Hayseed

Oooh please don't tell me everyone has graduated to the next forum and left me here! [-o<

Hayseed

I'm still here Hayseed.

Havne't been up to much today. My DD is home sick from school so she's had to be entertained. I don't think she's too sick it was more that she wasn't feeling so great this morning and wanted Panadol for her headache and cough - she never wants medicine so I knew something was wrong.

Also, Blake had us up for a while during the night. I'm wondering if he's got his sleep patterns back to front and treating day as night and vise versa. He would keep sleeping today if I'm not waking him 4 hourly for a feed - which is just about now so I can't stay long. I want to get him out of that pattern.

I was also looking at his cot again today and wondering about moving him into it soon. He's getting so long. The MCHN suggested we come fortnightly as I'm a second time round mum and also Blake was putting on weight and doing so well. Anyway, I'm busting to get him there again next week (mind you it will be Thursday) and see how much he's grown. I think he grew in length last night. He's just a different person to hold; balancing him and supporting his head... he just feels longer!

Hope Thomas is being good for you today, Hayseed.

Im still here too, but spent the last 24 hrs in hospital, as Dions blood test for his jaundice came back too high, so we were in from Mon 10am til today at 12 with him under the lights. Its done the trick though and he actually looks pink instead of yellow, and is feeding better ( 1/2 hr each side) and is a lot more alert!
    But on the good side he has put on 50gm in the last 24 hrs. So obviously feeding better.
    Still have to 3 hrly feed him, and have a repeat bld test on thurs, and see Paed next thurs. Ok must keep going, nearly dinner time!!

Vanita, sorry to hear that Dion's blood work came back too high, but pleased to hear that his time under the lights has made a difference. It's good to hear that he's feeding better too.

Rach, Thomas is exactly the same as Blake in regards to sleeping patterns. I have to wake him throughout the day to feed, but at night, he thinks that it is playtime. Love to switch his rythmn around. When do they start knowing when night is nght and day is day (I read somethiung that newborns don't have a circadian rythmn until later).

Vanita, Thomas also was a little high on the jaundice side and the poor bub had to have a heel ***** done 3 times (ouch!). Fortunately, he was a vigorous feeder in the early stages and that helped clear his liver out and get it working thus breaking down the jaundice. So he didn't have to spend any time under the bili bed. Also, at our hospital, I had a big window in my room (big sliding door) and the natural light helped him too. Glad to hear that Dion is good now though.

Well, we had a "first" last night. Our first projectile vomit 8-[ . Thomas wouldn't settle and was continually looking for another feed - which I gave him. He just drank too much nd he made this funny face and then s strange noise. I sat him up and he just spewed everywhere. So much outta so little a person! Of course, I bore the brunt of it, so at 10.30pm last night I'm stripping off in his nursery and trying to keep settling him at the same time. Sheesh!

He also woke up this mornig with a gunky eye and now this afternoon, the other one is gunky too. I rang midwife and she said to swab the eyes with salted water and then put a drop of breastmilk in each one and massage a little. Should clear up within 24hrs. If not, we'll have to have a trip to the GP. I'm hoping the b/m works! I haven't got him on the medicare card yet.

Hayseed

Afternoon all,

Just a quicky while the boy's asleep and the girl's happy on the PS2. Sad what it takes to get a moment of peace!

Hi Kate, welcome back! I bet you've had a lovely time with your Mum staying. I'm sure she and your Dad are enjoying every minute together with you all.

Hay, I have no idea when they learn about day and night. Blake's had more awake time over the last few days so maybe this will help him not be so awake at night. Fingers crossed. Hopefully Thomas will settle soon too. Sorry to hear about his projectile vomit. It's amazing what our little people can do. Did it come out of his nose too like it did with Blake the other day? Now that was something! How are Thomas' eyes? I've never heard of putting b/m into the eye to clear it up. Please let me know how you go as Blake had a bit of eye goop in one eye this afternoon - could have just been a bit of sleep - but if it works to clear Thomas, I might try with Blake.

Vanita, How's things going with Dion and the girls? Hope Dion's feeds settle down a bit for you and head toward 4 hours for you.

Blake's had a good day today and I even got time with both children in bed today, mind you I decided to have a nap too. Gotta make the most of the opportunities when you get them.

Poor Viv's got a nasty cold. She stayed home on Tuesday and went to school yesterday but she was so snotty when she came home and was feeling so miserable she was home again today and I kinda think she'll be home again tomorrow. Lucky we've had a quiet week - except yesterday when I had my SIL and Sister for lunch with their kids (don't ask me about it as it was too full on and I was totally exhausted when they left) and then my dad and his wife dropped in 20 minutes after everyone had left, just as I was enjoying the peace and quiet.

Going to get dinner sorted out - mind you that wont be too hard as my sister brought a pasta bake for us yesterday and seeing I had dinner already sorted out for the night, it's lines up for today

Enjoy your evening and I hope your babies all sleep well tonight.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hi Girls

Sorry I haven't been around but not much happens here and I don't want to bore you all to death. But I do read up on you all to see how you are all going. I can't believe our babies are almost a month old, it seems like it shouldn't be.

Hope everyone is well, and continues to be so.

BM always worked for us with gunky eyes, Dion had one the other day which cleared up with BM.

They recommend keeping it dark at night feeds to help the bodyclock to settle, and I try keep them awake during the evening ( though we are still having this issue too!!) its coz in utero they had more room to move at night so thats when they were active, and it takes a while to reverse this!!

Dion had another blood test today to check the jaundice levels and are going to the gp tomorrow for the results. All of my kids have ended up jaundice and they think its the ABO syndrome ( a blood incompatability) coz DH is 0- and I am AB+, so thats why, worse luck the feeding doesnt seem to help too much coz of this!!

Anyway must go feed the boy, I have to get here soon, and fix up my ticker etc, and do my birth story, but life is quite hectic at the moment trying to catch up on everything, coz of my hospital stay. Like makeup swimming lessons etc!! Anyway love to all, cuddle those bubs and will catch u all soon.

First moment in ages to sit at the computer and write!

All is well with Alexander. He has given us a couple of sleepless nights this week, awake with a sore tummy we suspect. I've cut chocolate, coffee and berries from my diet, as I realised i was eating too much of them and it could have bothered him. Turns out he is a lot better and more settled. Still all over the place with feeds, sometimes 4.5 hours sometimes 1.5 hours! And he is still holding his breath when he has his daily hysterical cry. He is good as gold the rest of the time.

Vanita - hope Dion's jaundice is improving. Fingers crossed for the GP visit.

Hi Bec - glad alls well for you. Time is flying, isn't it?!

Hi Kate - hope you're enjoying time with your parents. I know I'm loving having mum with me, and it sure is difficult to find time to come online!

Hay -geat to hear that Thomas is thriving! I hear you with the teary sessions. I know I feel a lot better when I manage to get some sleep during the day as well. But we have had such a massive change in our lives....never to be the same again...its no wonder we feel emotional..not to mention the new hormones running through our bodies.

My DH has had some issues with working out exactly what his role is in this new picture. He really wanted to help but was feeling left out. Having mum here probably is effecting him too. When she goes, I will rely on him to help me a lot more. We have worked out he will help with baths, burping and settling for the midnight feed and the 7-8am feed and general nappy changing when he's around. Now that we've negotiated that, he seems a lot happier.

Better go, hugs to the bubs!

Howdy all,

it's been another busy day for us. Blake decided he didn't to sleep this morning so he had a few little cat naps - read 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there until after his feed at 11.30am. Then I had to rock him to sleep around 1pm.

When I did put him into bed I put him for his first sleep in his cot in his own room. He slept really well in there, waking just before 3.30pm for a feed. He's back in his bed now after a trip to the post office and dropping in at my old work.

I'm debating whether to let him sleep in his room tonight or to put him back in the bassinet. I kinda feel that once his in his cot there's no going back but I don't know if I want to have him that far away from me as I don't know how worked up he'll get before I wake to give him a feed during the night. I think I'll probably leave him in his room. I'm sure with the monitor I'll hear everything, I'm just worried I'll hear too many of his noises and not have a good night sleep. I'm sure I'll work it out.

Deb, I'm thinking I better cut out chocolate too as Blake has quite a few pimples on his chin. He may get them without me stopping but I've only had it over the last couple of days and that's when his chin has broken out. I don't drink coffee so at least it's only one thing I have to give up - mind you, it's a biggie!

Viv's been home again today with her cold. She's improved since yesterday although she was still not well enough for school. A quiet weekend and she should be back on Monday and things well get back to normal during the day.

Have a good weekend everyone. Not sure if I'll make in online and thinking about it, I guess I'll be heading over to the 1-3 month thread the other side of the weekend as Blake's one month old tomorrow being the 30th! Woo hoo for him! I promise I'll keep popping in here to catch up on your gossip too.

Hi Rachel,

Alexander had a pimple break out on his chin yesterday too! And I haven't eaten chocolate for 4 days ](*,) !! Just letting you know, so as to save you unnecessary stress over chocolate withdrawal!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Jonah has lots of pimples on his face and some on his chest and back. The Maternal Health Nurse, said that it could either be hormonal, because of soap (apparently Johnsons isn't good as it has lots of chemicals and of course that's what we have) or it could be a heat thing, so she advised that we should not wrap him and make sure he's not too warm. But she did say that they will go away.

Hi all,

Thomas is a bit unsettled tonight - drops off to sleep but wakes 5 minutes later grizzling, which turns to screaming. Dunno what's the matter.

I have a very sore left nipple from a crack that I think developed while I was still in hospital and Thomas couldn't get a good grip early on. Now he's suckling fine, but nipple isn't getting a chance to heal. MCHN suggested expressing for a 24hr period (for that side anyway) and give nipple a chance to heal a bit. So I used the bottle with breastmilk for the first time this afternoon. Thomas took to it rather well, but I must admit, I'll be happy when he gets back on the boob and all I have to do is flop it out (IYKWIM!!) rather than having to sterilise pump etc and then express and then feed to him.

Rahc, dunno if you are still here (I'll post in 1 month thread just in case), but to let you (and others) know that the breastmilk trick worked like a charm in clearing up gunky eyes!! I was VERY impressed. Took less than 24hrs to clear them up. I expressed into a sterilised baby bottle (one of the small ones) and then got a teaspoon and dribbled a few drops in each eye. I found that if I tried to squeeze it out of my boob directly, the poor lad ended up with it all over his face and none where I was aiming for!! But I totally recommend it!

Vanita, I hadn't heard for the ABO incompatibility thing before. I am AB+ and DH is O+. Perhaps becasue we are both +s Thomas didn't get affected like Dion???????

My understanding is that the pimples are not pimples - they are mill..... something or other - dunno what the word is, sorry!! And they are caused by our hormones going through the breastmilk. Thomas had just a few, but they are gone now. Unless we are talking about something else???

Well, better go see how DH is coping with settling the boy. It is very quiet in the nursery, so perhaps they are both asleep!

Hayseed

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast