Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy periods after baby

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Heavy periods after baby

I know some of you had / have heavy AF when it returned after bubs, but how long did it last for? Its been a long time since I had my two, but I was lucky and never had AF until just a few months ago Its been a nightmare, really heavy and crampy and I am over it! It was never like this, ever... probably excepting when I was about 16 and had to go on the pill because of it. Wasnt/isn't pleasant.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Kelly, I'm still really heavy since having Tehya. I think I have had one period that was'nt a shoker. I wasn't this bad before being pg with her though.

I got AF back when she was about 10 months old, so yeah been having them for a while like this now. It also last's for a full 7 days too.

Hopefully your body (and mine) sort's itself out soon. It's such a pain.

Mine too was heavier after Danielle than before. I remember Mum telling me it get's better but it seemed to get worse. I got my AF back 10 weeks after I had Danielle so I wasn't really happy about that. I have now gone back on the Pill which is starting to slowly and I mean slowly ease it up. I used to get my AF on a Wednesday but now I get it on a Monday but it only goes for 5 days now which is back to normal for me. So who really knows what your body is going through - I sure don't!

Before having kids I had very light, but very painful periods lasting for 2-3 days, but after them, it reversed in that I was having very heavy, but pain free periods that went for about 5-6 days. After the pain I have suffered in the past, I would gladly put up with a heavy one over a painful one. I have had the odd one or two that have been painful, but not many.

tiggy Guest

Kelly,
    I hear you!
    After Ivy and Noah, my AF came back with a flood and a flurry!
    It is horrible and overwhelming.
    AF came back when they were 5 months old. I have always been pretty heavy but this is just madness. I bleed heavily for about two weeks, with the last three days more like what I would consider a 'normal period'. The good doctor thinks that my uterus is vascular from everything that has happened with, first William and then Ivy and Noah but he has also investigated for polyps, adhesions etc.
    After almost eight months of this I am getting anaemic again and so the doc has put me on huge doses of Mefanic Acid ( the stuff in Ponstan)as it can help reduce blood loss as well as cramping. Last month I only bled for 11 days! It was a small victory.

Hugs to you, I hope that the cramping and bleeding settle down soon. I know how awful it is.

These periods are like you want labour contractions, longer, stronger and closer together!!! So Trish, its been going on for nearly a year? I don't know if I would be very happy about that!!!

Like some of you have said, it was shorter before and definitely less blood loss I think I should buy shares in Libra LOL.

Thanks for sharing your stories, I hope we all get some relief soon
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 9th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

My periods were initially heavier after having Nina, but my last cycle was like my 'normal' period pre-baby. Light and hardly noticable. I got my period back only 3 weeks after having Nina. I did go on the pill, but found it didn't agree with me for various reasons, so now I'm not using any contraceptive.
    I hope it sorts itself out for all girls!

seriously, have you considered using cloth pads and/or a diva cup??
    theres lots of info at 'cloth pads org ' if you google it..
    i converted recently and have had less flow, shortened periods and best of all - NO PAIN!!!
    well worth researching and considering!

Ha I am using super pads and super tampons at the moment!!! Just because the flow is that intense and I don't like leaks.
    Kelly xx

tiggy Guest

Me too, Jillian!
    I've got two days until AF and have to say I am dreading it. Last month I went through ten maternity pads in two days

kelly i used to use both together too - but with cloth there are no chemicals to aggrivate more pain and blood:P
    (you can buy super absorbent cloth pads too - and the diva cup holds more than a tampon apparently!):eek:

Hahaha thats so me, I start panicking about it the week before its due. How sad!!!

Do they still make tampons like that Joh, or is that something they used to do? Might have a peek
    Kelly xx

well this info is there
    Then you have tampons....Tampons are known to cause TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome), a potentially fatal disease. Apart from that, the drying effect of the tampon can not only feel uncomfortable, but can upset the ph balance of the (which may lead to thrush). Chlorine bleaching, to make tampons white, can leave traces of dioxin - a carcinogen - not something you want near your cervix! Plus they end up in lanfil and contribute to pollution and wasteful packaging as disposable pads do. So your tampon could actually cause your death, or cancer.... or if you are lucky, just be uncomfortable, wasteful and expensive.
    defenitly have a peek...worth making an informed choice huh

I've been doing some researching all afternoon and I think I am going to give the mooncup a try, as Tracey our health expert highly recommended it to me some time ago and everything she does recommend to me, e.g. In-Liven, turns out to be brilliant I just put some information up in the post-natal section if anyone else is interested as I like the idea of alternatives, especially if they can last 6-12 hours . Mooncup Menstural Cup

I think I will use pads +/- tampons overnight though, as backflow is apparently not good. Wont be a prob during the day but I would rather be sure overnight.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 9th, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
    Kelly xx

yay thats great
    i really should try one aswell, but have been surprisingly happy with cloth so far.
    no-one knows about them it seems, so the article is great 'advocacy' and information.

What is the cleaning like with cloth though? Do you get leaks?
    Kelly xx

no leaks yet!:eek: (actually one once at night, but could consider an 'ini pad' from obsidian star if it bothered me or happened since...)
    it was getting used to the comfort for me - underwear bothers me
    so first cycle i used tampons and cloth pads. still getting used to comfort
    next only cloth now i find them comfortable.up to cycle 3 in cloth.

washing is easy. really empowering weirdly. just soak them in cold water. change water daily. i usually wash daily anyways. just wash with clothes like usualeasy!

and if you google 'cloth pads org' you will find really good comprehensive info pages all about reusable menstrual options/care/types etc.
    wish i could post the link:P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast