Thread: Implanon...

Default Implanon...

So after getting my Mirena taken out, my doctor has prescribed the implanon.
    To go in this Thursday... But before that...

I want to ask all of your experiences? The good bad and ugly...

And those with migraines - did it make them worse?

Default Re: Implanon...

I got bad ones while on it. And it started to break down and I got really ill went t9 hosp and they removed it.
    Up untill then it was goid though

I had 2 in a row - so 6 years in total
    I loved it - no side effects, got a period every 4 or 5 months and no spotting in between.
    By the end of the second one (so 5 years after infest used it) I started getting migraines once a month but they continued the same after I got it out, so I don't think there was a link.
    For the first month I got really bad pimples on my face, so I asked the doc for a medicated face wash and it cleared in a week and was never a problem again.
    Seems it's the only contraception that truly works well for me

I have implanon, and honestly I love it. Last af was longer than normal, but nothing really to complain about. It seems to be the right dose for me, my mood swings, headaches, etc seemed to have smoothed out and lessened.
    Sorry I don't have any negative issues, beside a little weight gain, but that's just not related to it items?

It made my migraines more frequent. It also contributed to a 10kg weight gain, and my moods got more homicidal each month I was on it. I had it taken out after 6 months.

I had one placed recently. Not sure how long it will last.

Getting it in didn't hurt, but i got a huge bruise and it was very painful for more than a week. It felt lie the muscle was being stabbed from the inside if i moved my arm in a certain way. i wasn't expecting this so not sure if that is a common thing or not.

Had bleeding already, not sure if that is normal post baby period returning, or if it is related to the implanon. My 5 month old baby has also been more fussy, and i am trying to determine if it has affected my milk or if her fusiness is just incidental. These might have nothing to do with implanon, i'm still working it out myself.

Be very careful if you have clotting issues, I had mine in when I had ankle surgery and ended up with a DVT in my calf and I am only borderline for my clotting problem (clot too easily).

I have had implanon in for 7 months now, and am having frequent bleeding. currently on day 14 of having my 'period'.

if it doesn't settle soon I will be removing it.

last week or so I have also had a burning feeling in my thigh, and not sure if it is related.

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    I have had implanon in for 7 months now, and am having frequent bleeding. currently on day 14 of having my 'period'.

if it doesn't settle soon I will be removing it.

last week or so I have also had a burning feeling in my thigh, and not sure if it is related.
    I'm experiencing the same thing HotI, my 'period' on average is lasting somewhere between 14 and 21 days, I have a dead arm sensation in the arm it is in, and my gp can't work out why, but I know it's to do with it.
    I still like the how easy it is, in that I don't have to remember anything etc. but the side affects are starting to accumulate over time and the longer I have it in the worse it seems to be getting. I said I would give it a year, but I have already been talking to my gp about getting it out.

Periods have been getting closer and closer, and longer and longer.

I had similar issues on the mini pill, where I was bleeding more days in the month than I wasn't. And then got pregnant

I'm really not sure where to go from here.

Periods have been getting closer and closer, and longer and longer.

I had similar issues on the mini pill, where I was bleeding more days in the month than I wasn't. And then got pregnant

I'm really not sure where to go from here.
    The same is happening to me, and I have a similar thing with the pill too. My GP wants me to try mirena, but I'm not so keen on that one. I'm thinking I'll just go back to the pill and see how I go from there.

For 6 weeks over the Christmas and new year period I didn't bleed for 4 days, next 'cycle' was a day or two short of three weeks, this cycle feels like it's going to be a short one.

are you currently breastfeeding?

Nope not breastfeeding anymore, my baby declared herself a big girl haha

My littlest just turned one and is still breastfeeding. I'm not interested in mirena. not sure if its worth trying full pill, or just going for full abstinence. its depressing. not sure if that is side effect of implanon, or just side effect of side effects of implanon

My littlest just turned one and is still breastfeeding. I'm not interested in mirena. not sure if its worth trying full pill, or just going for full abstinence. its depressing. not sure if that is side effect of implanon, or just side effect of side effects of implanon

I totally understand. It's a totally depressing thought process, I think that's why I told myself to give it a year. But my year is almost up, and I know I'm going to get it out, it's the options afterwards which I'm not liking any of.
    It just totally sucks all round

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I've had implanon 3 times now; first time round was the best - no issues until about 2 years after having it - constant spotting/bleeding for about 2 months from memory (this was between having my boys). 2nd time round lasted around a year before bleeding/spotting got too annoying. Gave it a break, tried mini pill (didn't agree with me - no patience) and took no prevention (but no bedroom action either) for a while; decided to try implanon again and lasted just over a month - no patience at all at school or home, snap at the slightest thing. Took it out and have gone back to combined pill (progesterone only contraception doesn't agree with many in my family we've since discovered). I also suffer migraines but I find they are better managed by regular Chiro than anything else.

I had it taken out. Yay !
    I was bleeding 3 weeks out of 4. hoping It helps with other issues too.
    I have a script for the nuva ring. Not sure whether to get it straight away (provide contraceptive coverage), or give my body a break and also be able to see side effects differences, If there are any.