Thread: Never experienced this..

Default Never experienced this..

A few months ago I posted about having extreme fatigue. At the time I thought it *may* be linked to AF. It's been about 2 months and I have AF again and the fatigue was instant. Yesterday morning I woke up feeling like I hadn't slept in weeks with a splitting headache (you know the eyes burning and all stiff) . I started spotting soon after. Today I feel exhausted and like I am coming down with the flu My cycles have always been all over the place (pcos) and I have always had minimal pain and blood loss. They are virtually non existent. But it seems it has changed since the birth of my dd. I have never experienced feeling so awful when af comes. If this is what it will be like every time I am glad I have only a few throughout the year.
    Anyone else experience this? And know how to combat the horrible fatigue etc?

ETA: I still don't lose much blood so I don't think the fatigue is linked to that.

Default Re: Never experienced this..

Bump. anyone?

It's very common for periods to change after having a baby- our hormones are on a new path. I'd say the headaches and fatigue sound like hormone issues. I'm sure a good naturopath or TCM who is familiar with hormone rebalancing will be able to help you.

I do find I get very tired with my period and a lady I've worked with also has said the same. I know we tend to equate lots of bleeding with tiredness, but not sure how that is actually a direct factor - it's not bleeding like from a vein or artery. I know it can cause low iron stores, but that would be over time and I would assume the tiredness would be general, not just when you have your period iykwim.
    I attribute some of my tiredness to not sleeping well due to pain or discomfort.
    I'm not sure in your case though, I've not had the aches and pains, flu like thing. Perhaps it is hormonal. Good luck finding a doctor that doesn't think it's in your head if you go down that path.
    Sorry I couldn't offer more help or advice!

Thank you ladies. It's just so bizarre to me, I remember my last AF this happened and I was so worried because I didn't link it with AF at all. Even after 8-9 solid hours of sleep I wake feeling tired. Not fun at all I will try a few diet changes first and see if it helps.

Like you are made of concrete? Everything is an effort and you feel like you could just sleep all day? I had this when AF returned after DD2. I even went to the Dr and complained about it lol. He just offered me the pill and said that AF gets worse as you get older. On the bright side, I haven't noticed it for quite some time so it obviously didn't last forever.

Tasha I seriously thought I had something wrong with me the past 2days, I was soooo exhausted like you said and today it has magically lifted- it definately coincided with AF, I am now on cd3 and it is light. I had just been thinking I wonder if AF is causing it, cos I know my iron levels are ok, and DD is only waking once a night so I am getting a reasonable amount of sleep.
    Glad you posted this, I was about to post something similar.

I've had similar experiences Tasha. I do think it is lack of iron. I'm normally fine but AF seems to be a big drain on my resources! A good steak dinner usually helps.

ETA I also have very light flow.

Well, glad I am not alone on this. And to top it off i woke this morning with massive swollen lymph nodes on my neck! GP says I am ok, I don't feel sick, no sore throat either. just uncomfortable

My iron levels are ok but border line on the low side. I feel fatigued with AF but not at other times. GP suggested taking iron during my period to help boost me up.

I've been reading up on things that influence sleep, and menstruation can have a massive effect on sleep quality (for brain chemical reasons as well as discomfort, etc). Anything you can do to improve sleep quality will probably help you feel better. Sunshine & exercise during the day, dimming the lights at night, and good qual nutrition. If you're getting blood tests done, get your Vit D checked, and think about adding in a magnesium supplement (many people are deficient) which has the added bonus of reducing cramps & leg restlessness.

Interesting Marydean....

I have found that it is all hormonal too. The first few cycles after baby are always really whacky: sometimes basically non existent or sometimes like a hole has opened up under my feet and will swallow me whole haha!