Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More Babies. What Contraception?

Currently, condoms during my fertile time and nothing else.
    DH wants the snip. I want him to get the snip. Noone around here will allow him to get it before he is 30 or has 3 kids. I had a pregnancy scare a few months back and I KNEW I was totally done.... so hoping like mad this next 16 months goes well and he can finally snip it.

Can you start the process now Niadalla? Not sure where you are, but to be done locally where I am, a snip can take up to a year. 3 months wait for the appt with the surgeon, then about 6 months for the actual op. Took a year for us, as it took DH 3 months to get around to seeing his GP for a referral and then he was away when he was first called up for surgery. DH was also "fast tracked", due to the nature of my c-sections. You may be able to push for it to be done quicker if there is a medical reason why you should not have more children.

Really? DP just called up the clinic and they did him within a few weeks - didn't need a referral, just had to read through some info and had a brief interview and he was done. He didn't have to go through any questions about partner of kids just had to agree to the permanency of the procedure and that was it.

He got it done at M arie S topes Clinic in Dandenong Rd.

Rural here - no clinics, only one surgeon who does it and only once a month. Would have had to go to Melbourne or maybe Ballarat to have found a clinic. It was hard enough doing the 20 minute drive home, let alone a 3 hour one! Imagine the man-whinging with that drive.

That would have been way too difficult - even with an ice-pack on the man parts the whole way.

Nai - what suburb is that clinic in? Do you need a referral from gp? Do you mind if I ask how much it cost?
    Dh is keen to do it
    Co sleeping with our 2 yo and condoms can't last forever.
    Last edited by Ginger; July 3rd, 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nai View Post
    Really? DP just called up the clinic and they did him within a few weeks - didn't need a referral, just had to read through some info and had a brief interview and he was done. He didn't have to go through any questions about partner of kids just had to agree to the permanency of the procedure and that was it.

He got it done at M arie S topes Clinic in Dandenong Rd.
    Is that the place of the famous Dr Snip? I have heard great things about him. I have also heard some guys do it together, round of golf in the morning, lunch at the pub then onto Dr Snip (that is he real name I believe).

Don't know about Dr Snip but the clinic is in Windsor or South Yarra area - all I can remember is that it was on Dandenong Rd around that vicinity. No referral required and it was only a couple of hundred dollars from memory but that was 2 years ago.

I'm going for a Mirena in two weeks - only waited that long because the local clinic recently opened its books up and that was the closest appointment. The doc bulk bills the whole lot, and that suits because DP isn't working.
    DP also gets grumpy at the point of having to wear a condom, and I desperately do not need to be pregnant this year. I'd like to have it in for about a year, and I know it's supposed to be for longer term than that, but meanwhile life is too hectic to keep on top of my cycle, to take a mini-pill and I'm not taking any of the others in a pink fit (after a bout of depo years ago that I will never revisit again).

Default Re: No More Babies. What Contraception?

Andrew has no interest in getting the snip. I am on Depo which is doing okay for me. I did come off it for a month and I had every side effect under the sun that people can get when they stop having it. I didn't know the Mirena stopped periods too. I may have to look into that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12